Packers Vs Saints - 3 Plays That Make You Go Hmmm

Jersey Al picks out three thought-provoking plays from the Packers' game against the New Orleans Saints

After re-watching the Packers game, here are three plays that made me go hmmm, for various reasons.

Full Disclosure: All three plays are from the first quarter because I couldn't stomach watching the entire game again. Luckily, there was plenty of material to work with.

Enough Already:

This was a play the Packers had much success with early on last season. In fact, I believe I highlighted it in one of these articles as "the play that always works." As the season wore on, teams did their homework and were better prepared for it. Now it's more a "play that never works," especially if you're up against a team with a fast, aggressive linebackers, like the Bucs in the NFC Championship game or these Saints last Sunday. If you think you're going to outrun or fool Demario Davis on this play, you're only fooling yourself. Time to put this play away and maybe bring it back in the playoffs (hopefully?) when teams may have forgotten about it. Perhaps this is what LaFleur is animatedly expressing to Hackett right after the failed play.

Take What You Have:

At two different points in this play, Rodgers could have thrown the ball to Aaron Jones when he had a five yard cushion on the linebacker. Instead he never even looks at Jones, even when they are both in parallel running towards the sideline. Jones should have been in his direct line of sight, but instead, Rodgers is looking back to the left, as if he is hoping to complete the always dangerous "across the body" throw. Yes, Jones is not beyond the first down marker, but with a five yard cushion and a short pass, he could very well have time to put a move on the linebacker in the open field and gain the yards needed for a first down. One other thing about this play - his receivers don't do him any favors. From the end zone angle, look at how much open space there is down the sideline. If just one of Cobb, MVS, or Tonyan would have headed back that way when they saw Rodgers heading to the sideline and in trouble, there was a big play just waiting to happen. Most concerning is Cobb, who looks like he starts to head for the sideline and then just stops and stays in the middle of the field.

You Spin Me RIght Round Baby Right Round...

And now, last and most certainly least, the saga of Kevin King. I will be the first to say I'm no expert on defensive backs, but this can't possibly be the technique the Packers are teaching can it? To get totally turned around on a simple out pattern like this is beyond horrible for an NFL cornerback. And what exactly is King doing bouncing and skipping after the play as if he was perfectly satisfied with his performance. Does he even care?  As I was watuching the game, I immediately said to myself, they're setting him up for a deep shot later. No surprise there! Expect every team to do the same until the Packers finally throw Stokes out there. Which, by the way, I am fully in favor of. I can live with the rookie mistakes of a guy that is trying over this disaster.

__________________________

"Jersey Al" Bracco is the Editor-In-Chief, part owner and wearer of many hats for CheeseheadTV.com and PackersTalk.com. He is also a recovering Mason Crosby truther.  Follow Al on twitter at @JerseyalGBP

albert999's picture

September 14, 2021 at 03:03 pm

Great comments Al
Couldn’t agree more with everything and King has to go!

Point-Packer's picture

September 14, 2021 at 03:14 pm

Fans were almost unanimous in hating the Kevin King re-signing. A great majority of the Packer homer sports media rationalized it. Somehow. I'm having a real hard time comprehending how you give that guy 8 million dollars. What in the hell am I missing?

TarynsEyes's picture

September 14, 2021 at 03:22 pm

It's all in the eyewear.

Point-Packer's picture

September 14, 2021 at 03:28 pm

Like one has 20/20 vision and requires none and the other is wearing sleeping shades?

I honestly have no idea how a football GM could rationalize that move. No idea.

Gute = few nice draft picks. But some awful FA signings. Failure to do anything to shore up the D-line. ILB still a mess. Feeling like the shimmer has faded on that Corolla.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

September 14, 2021 at 03:36 pm

They could have gotten 2 better defensive backs for 4 million each.

Coldworld's picture

September 14, 2021 at 06:08 pm

Not Breeland based on last weekend

Packers1985's picture

September 14, 2021 at 04:22 pm

Coming to that "Gute= Few nice draft picks" I would say Apart from Jaire no one else looked like the day1 picks. I would say only Jaire and Jenkins have been consistent contributors in the previous 3 drafts we had.
Every newyear we have the same issues like the previous year some dline some linebacker and some secondary issues it is still the same.

PeteK's picture

September 14, 2021 at 04:35 pm

It's 5 mill, but I get your point.

Point-Packer's picture

September 15, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Included 3.75 million signing bonus on top of the 5.

Nate-1980's picture

September 14, 2021 at 04:38 pm

Exactly point packer, another great move by our infallible gm, teams can just throw queens way and move the ball, might as well start the rookie now ..The fact that lowery and Lancaster are still getting the majority of reps over keke , more great decisions..Yeah Rodgers played like crap, but so did the oline, and the play calling on both sides of the ball was horrendous..That was a stomping with no fight back, I hope they get it fixed, but beating a bad Detroit team next week won’t convince me that this season will be ok, this team needs to earn trust for me..

Coldworld's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:44 pm

How are those failings primarily Gute’s? That’s coaching first and foremost.

Nate-1980's picture

September 15, 2021 at 05:04 pm

The only blame in my post about Gute is bringing back Kevin queen, yeah the rest was coaching and play from the players..

Oppy's picture

September 14, 2021 at 06:32 pm

It's hard for me to listen to the opinion of anyone who states the oline played like crap in the opener.

They didn't, they played pretty well actually, better than I would have expected in Wk1 all things considered, Rodgers even said he thought they protected well in his post game presser, and PFF rated them highly in their post game snap by snap breakdown.

"The line played like shit" is the knee-jerk reaction of fans desperate to make sense of Rodgers horrible game and people who don't know line play if it bit them in the ass.

PeteK's picture

September 14, 2021 at 06:52 pm

Seven QB hits and numerous hurries, which amounts to poor pass protection. Yes, the grass sure did bite Rodgers in the rear. Put that F-PFF in your pipe and smoke it. LOL What's he supposed to say, " They played so poorly that many times even with four rushers and hardly any blitzing, I was constantly under duress". Give him some credit, he showed leadership and put it on his shoulders.

Oppy's picture

September 14, 2021 at 10:31 pm

GET RID OF THE BALL ON TIME.

I'm done with you people. OL's aren't supposed to protect for more than 2.5- 3 seconds.

September 15, 2021 at 02:33 am

I read that AR held the ball for an average of 2.9 seconds. Not really an unusual number for him. I would have to have All-22 to see if the ball did not come out when it should have or if there was no where to go with it.

Demario Davis is an All Pro. That short crossing stuff ain't going to work unless he is forced to drop/gain depth due to other routes. LaFleur has some nice concepts but they have trouble against blue chip ILBs. See TB game.

Coldworld's picture

September 15, 2021 at 08:01 am

One aspect of the trouble is the consistent failure to use Dillon. Not only did he get some yards on his few carries but he changes ILB thinking. We tried it, saw potential then abandoned it. I keep hearing that we were out of it at that point. We were not. The score was relatively close. This is starting to be a signature failing of LaFleur against such defenses. It’s not Rodgers primarily this time because Dillon was mostly not in the field.

PhantomII's picture

September 14, 2021 at 08:51 pm

The O line could not and did not open any run lanes at all. ML did his usual of abandoning the run even though Dillon was forcing himself thru the line averaging nearly 5 yds on the 4-5 carries he had in the game. AR was very pass happy also and that is a proven poor combo. Think what you want but if we are going to abandon the run you need to put speed and / or quickness on the field and ML answered with TE's and slow Lazard. Pretty basic stuff.

croatpackfan's picture

September 15, 2021 at 04:27 am

AJ Dillon 4.8 yards per carry - 4 carries, 19 yards. Longest 6 yard twice, produced 1st down!

There is no possibility that you'll open running lanes every time when you want to. If you win 60 - 65 % of the efforts you'll have 200 yards running game for you.

Take the look of your beloved Arrogant Diva. Look his throws, almost never on time and even more never on the place it should be. He had 3 throws longer than 15 yards that were catchable all together.

OL play decent, not as top NFL OL, but still better than many other teams have.

It is not MLF who abandoned run, it was obviously AR who abandoned run and try "heroic?" passes in double coverage behind players (as one shown in the first clip) or overthrowing them...

PhantomII's picture

September 15, 2021 at 06:00 am

Like I said OL was not making run lanes. They held the pass rush off for 3 seconds most of the time. Very few times I saw WR's get open. The few passes caught he threw them open making diving catches. WR had stone feet and should have put 4.4 guys out there if they're not gonna run to get a little separation. DL played extremely poor because talent is not on the team besides Clark. The offense had 1 3rd down conversion. NO completing 4th and 7......enough said there. Defense were not helped out by Offense staying on the field. AR is not beloved by most these days. MLF needs to play starters in the preseason. The run was abandoned when jones left and rarely seen. Heavy dose of Dillon was lacking and Hback if needed to force it. Point your finger any direction and you'd be right on that game. I pretty much never agree with you CPF......at least you are consistent.

Point-Packer's picture

September 14, 2021 at 10:28 pm

I mean, they got solid pressure with four. Rodgers held the ball, but I didn't see him missing open WRs. Saints played press, gambled their D line could put pressure on 12 and succeeded. MLF never adapted.

Along with all the junk on Sunday, the WR's played like garbage. Couldn't get separation all day against man. And when Rodgers scrambled they didn't adjust.

Sure, their was some solid individual efforts, but the line has to be better than that going forward.

Leatherhead's picture

September 15, 2021 at 01:11 pm

Oppy....knee-jerks are standard warm ups here. I wouldn't call the Oline play good, but it wasn't terrible. On the Play Of The Game.....the redzone interception with 9:44 in the third......Newman just completely whiffed. Rodgers made a hurried and off target throw and it was picked. He could have chosen Jones in the flat with a chance to beat the defender but he held on for Davante across the middle.

Yeah, Newman had lots of good snaps, too, but that was a bad snap with a big consequence.

Big guys in the heat early in the season are usually not as good as the same big guys in the cold in December. I like this line and think it could be one of the best we've had in the last 50 years.

JerseyAl's picture

September 14, 2021 at 07:11 pm

Actually, Keke got more snaps than Lancaster, but Keke's not exactly a world-beater either.

September 15, 2021 at 02:34 am

We were hoping for a jump. No jump last Sunday. Maybe he doesn't like heat. I still have hope that he can surpass Lowry.

Coldworld's picture

September 15, 2021 at 08:04 am

He definitely had a bad game. Let’s hope he will get his legs under him with more snaps. I haven’t focused on him to try and see exactly what he was being asked to do.

Bure9620's picture

September 15, 2021 at 01:56 am

Actually Keke graded out quite terribly as well, actually he was pushed around too. I would like to see Clark and Slaton in on early downs against downhill run teams. This is where we get annihilated.

croatpackfan's picture

September 15, 2021 at 04:28 am

And Heflin!

Todd's picture

September 15, 2021 at 09:15 am

I'm not really a fan of the signing either, but they didn't sign him for $8M. It's $5M (cap hit this year of $2M), with his $3.75M signing bonus spread out over 5 years.

September 15, 2021 at 02:38 am

King signed a 1 year, $5M deal.

$4.8M in signing bonus and base salary plus $200K in game active bonus.

marpag1's picture

September 14, 2021 at 03:25 pm

I wanna know what convinces LaFleur that it's a good idea to go for it on fourth down with NINE minutes still remaining in the FIRST quarter, and with your team down only by 3, and with the ball sitting on your own 34 yard line. Yeah, we like "aggressiveness" and all, and yeah I know they converted, but if that decision doesn't just reek of wild overconfidence, I'm not sure what does.

dblbogey's picture

September 14, 2021 at 10:27 pm

I thought it was more the move of a coach with no confidence in his defense.

ImaPayne's picture

September 14, 2021 at 10:34 pm

He heard all the off season boo birds about his not going for it in the playoffs so he was trying to make up for it as in ok I" show you suckers how I can take chances

Bure9620's picture

September 15, 2021 at 01:08 am

He coached scared. His game plan was out the window and he flinched, so did his team

jeremyjjbrown's picture

September 14, 2021 at 03:33 pm

"especially if you're up against a team with a fast, aggressive linebackers"

It's amazing how these unimportant players keep disrupting our offense.

Packers1985's picture

September 14, 2021 at 04:27 pm

Yup it's high time even after those ugly losses last two years against bucs and 49ers this team hasn't changed abit..

PackfanNY's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:34 pm

Who needs linebackers, right? /s

Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

September 14, 2021 at 03:49 pm

I've been concerned about the effort ( or coaching) of the WRs when the play breaks down. I think the second play might be a case in point. I've noticed that once the receiver is done running their route, they jog toward the play side while the play is going on. They do not run, they stroll...WHILE THE PLAY IS STILL GOING ON! Come on guys.

JerseyAl's picture

September 14, 2021 at 04:31 pm

100%. Maybe we need to get Jordy Nelson or James Jones in to show these guys what to do in the scramble drill. Or is it just a lack of effort?

Coldworld's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:45 pm

Surely coaching should be able to address that? Or rather should have.

BAMABADGER's picture

September 14, 2021 at 06:43 pm

JerseyAl, excellent idea. Packers should get Jordy in front of the WR/TE crew as soon as possible to coach them on the broken-play come back... Obviously the current WR/TE coach(s) don't preach that. If they have, an in-your-face attitude adjustment with the receivers is appropriate after the play. Don't coddle the divas, teach them the game.

Tundraboy's picture

September 14, 2021 at 04:39 pm

Looks like King was partially celebrating the fact that the receiver went out of bounds. Yay he didn’t give up a TD!

PeteK's picture

September 14, 2021 at 04:59 pm

On that first play, Lazard is supposed to gear down not stop, which would have hindered the LB from covering Tonyan on the play. Terrible game, throw away the tape, better now than late in the season. Obviously, this team needed to come down to earth, and they did with a loud thud. I think effort and attention will be at a max this extended week of practice.

JerseyAl's picture

September 14, 2021 at 07:16 pm

I think the idea is that Lazard can block after the TE catches the pass. But it's a play that takes some time to develop, so Lazard has to wait before he can legally do anything. All the motion did was bring another defender to that side of the field. I didn't understand that wrinkle on this play.

coolhand's picture

September 15, 2021 at 10:05 am

It started with I think Turner not blocking anyone and Rodgers had a defender right in his face, which delayed the throw and gave the linebacker time to get out there and get to Tonyan right when the ball got there.

Leatherhead's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:21 pm

In every sport I’ve ever played or watched or coached, the team kind of follows the leader. When he’s sharp, the team is sharp; when he’s not, the team doesn’t look that good.

Regarding King….I think that If we had Woodson in his prime…we’d still only score 3 points. King looked bad on some plays but lots of people look bad in a massive rout.

Despite EVERYTHING, we were 2nd and 7 at the nine, with a chance to make it 17-10 when it fell apart. With 9:44 left in the third quarter, #70 whiffed and Rodgers didn’t have enough time and the off-target pass got picked off. That’s the Play Of The Game.

Any hope of success we have this season has to include us getting guys blocked. I don’t see how we can run or pass or stay on the field or score without it.

PS: I thought the roughing call on us that negated Savage’s end zone pick was a big call, and a bad one.

Stickfish's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:17 pm

I gave you a thumbs up for making it to the 3Q, far better than I did.
<><

Leatherhead's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:24 pm

I’m already in the second half of the rewatch. The final score was bad, but we had our chances in the third quarter.

Coldworld's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:55 pm

I’d agree based on what I’ve suffered (that urge to pick a scab). The more I watch, the more I see Rodgers as the anchor weighing us down. The line wasn’t great but it wasn’t as bad as he made it look. He missed opportunities to take smaller gains and move the chains. Sadly I just get more and more baffled by what Barry was up to and ST looks fragile on coverage … an accident possibly deferred for lack of punts.

Bure9620's picture

September 15, 2021 at 02:02 am

Rodgers was atrocious, he had time. Jenkins held up well, so did Turner. The rookies were fine, they got beat a few times but it is the NFL. They graded above average in pass protection. Rodgers had a QBR of 12. A passer rating of 36. There were receivers open. He was really terrible. Brett Hundley actually had better more efficient play much of the time he played. These numbers are not even good for an average backup QB. Hopefully its an aberration but this team really shows no grit at all. When adversity hits, this team crumbles like a pop tart. Much of that is Rodgers. He does not have the "It" factor, the desire to do anything to win. He looks like he really doesn't give a shit. This is infectious and needs to change right away or the Packers will be in an early hole this season.

He needs to take ownership and actually echo the Head coach, its was an embarrassing loss. I am getting closer to really just wanting to turn this offense over to Love. I don't see how this team can can beat good teams with this attitude from its QB. If this "I'm above it all" Cali cool shit continues from Player/GM, make the future begin now. You're done with him after the season anyway.

I would really like to see Lefleur just absolutely chew Rodgers ass out for once...just bench him..I don't think it will ever happen. Player/GM will deflect. So we blame elsewhere.

Coldworld's picture

September 15, 2021 at 08:12 am

Rodgers seems to have admitted quite a lot of that. I think the Detroit game will show if that lights a fire or if your concerns are valid and he is no longer fixated on play but a someone living on past accomplishments.

PeteK's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:52 pm

I agree, offensive line was soundly out played, and even the best (Mahomes) cannot overcome that. I'm just surprised they didn't adjust with some roll/sprint outs. Everyone in the division is 0-1, and Vikes , who I thought were improved this year, couldn't beat the lowly Bengals.

BAMABADGER's picture

September 14, 2021 at 06:48 pm

The lowly Bengals would beaten the Pack on Sunday as well, and not require overtime to do it.

September 14, 2021 at 05:13 pm

Thought we had a pocket passing QB? Doesn't look that way to me; with this Revamped, Rookie laden line. So you want to put another rookie CB in too. That should have been the call later in the game. Before everyone gave up. Ok- They set up King. But did it matter? If you want the guys job . Yes I can see it would matter. But King wasn't the problem earlier.

Oppy's picture

September 14, 2021 at 06:53 pm

3 of the 5 starting OL were graded as the top 5 performers on offense for the packers, one of them was the rookie who replaced pro-bowl center Linsely.

The other Rookie OL, Royce Newman, didn't fare as well, but he's a guy who won his spot as starting RG fair and square- by far outplaying the other options on the team during training camp and preseason.

September 14, 2021 at 10:19 pm

28 attempts. 2 sacks 7 qb hits. I haven't seen the hurry count yet.

Oppy's picture

September 14, 2021 at 10:30 pm

One sack was the result of OL.

QB hits are going to happen when your QB doesn't get rid of the fucking ball.

Let me repeat this: RODGERS SAID POST GAME HE THOUGHT THE OL DID THEIR JOB AND PROVIDED GOOD PROTECTION. PFF GRADED THE OL AS THE STRONGEST UNIT FOR THE PACKERS IN WK 1.

Rodgers was rated bottom 5 on the team.

Bure9620's picture

September 15, 2021 at 02:38 am

He did. Jenkins held up well, Tuner was fine. The Rookies graded above average in pass pro. They were beat a few times but its the NFL.

Coldworld's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:15 pm

When I saw the title, my first thought was how can he narrow it down to 3? I see the explanation, I wish I could have let go at that point: it only got worse.

Why is Barry playing King in soft coverage? Do I really need to go further, or should I skip straight to my gut feeling: Woe is Barry?

If he hasn’t figured out King cant do that (his head coach has voiced the same thought), what exactly is Barry doing?

I’m not even going to get on to the O game plan, which was Barryesque as well: my new word for soaring ineptitude.

September 14, 2021 at 05:31 pm

Shields and Tramon Williams had to tighten it up. Why are these CBs allowed to have a cushion? I say it's because of Savage.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:37 pm

There are not a lot of positive comments we can make when the two players who seemed to do their job the best were a kicker and a punter.

Coldworld's picture

September 14, 2021 at 05:57 pm

Our LS held up. Jenkins gets my award, with Dillon getting the underused but effective ribbon.

splitpea1's picture

September 14, 2021 at 06:09 pm

Play 1: NO was ready and waiting for that one, weren't they? There's no substitute for preparation. Nice job by Davis getting around the traffic to be in the right place.

Play 2: AR might not have thought Jones could have made the first down with Davis lurking in the background. You would have thought Cobb would be following his QB when he's on the move; maybe he had a mental cramp or something.

(Added) Play 4: I thought the second TD to Johnson late in the game was noteworthy. Watch WR Humphrey wipe out two Packer defenders (King and Sullivan) with one block as Johnson breezes into the end zone. Barnes is trailing by eight or nine yards and can only admire the catch. Jeez, it's the the Keystone Cops in green and gold....We're all expecting a semblance of order next time, guys.

September 14, 2021 at 06:09 pm

Winston had 5 Tds. And was under a 150 yds. -

Coldworld's picture

September 15, 2021 at 08:16 am

Christmas came early for Winston. He won’t get many games with that field positions if he plays another decade.

TheKanataThrilla's picture

September 15, 2021 at 05:11 am

On the second play I get that Jones may not have got the first down, but we have to at least give him a shot. Aaron not even trying to get the ball to someone with the hope that they can break a tackle or make a defender miss and just throwing it away drives me crazy. I honestly think this is why we appear to play better when Davante is out as it forces Aaron to make those throws.

BAMABADGER's picture

September 14, 2021 at 06:30 pm

"Now it's more a "play that never works," especially if you're up against a team with a fast, aggressive linebackers."

Fast , aggressive LBs... Interesting concept. Historically neglected by Packers during the draft.

PhantomII's picture

September 14, 2021 at 09:06 pm

They have a hard time using a one on them or a WR who can start as a rookie and look good doing it.

Packers0808's picture

September 14, 2021 at 07:59 pm

I still don't understand the hiring of two in house coaches being hired from two already failed in house before them coaches!

ImaPayne's picture

September 14, 2021 at 10:36 pm

Its should be obviouis to all of us, the first team needed to play and work out kinks in the pre season. The pre season is not the time to find out your crap players who wont make the team wont make the team.

croatpackfan's picture

September 15, 2021 at 04:42 am

Al, take my sympathy you had to watch that game again. I had intention, but I gave up the last minute. It was lower than embarrassing.

Regarding
- Enough Already:
On that play it was not helpful at all that ball was thrown behind Tonyan. If he get the ball that leads him toward some yardage would be taken.
- Take What You Have:
To me it looks like Aaron Rodgers was looking down field for huge gain every snap (I know it is exaggeration) and was not interested in gains of few yards, even if that means 1st down.
- You Spin Me RIght Round Baby Right Round...
It blows my mind when coaches are saying several times that you have the player who excel in pressure WR type of game and you are using him 15 yards downfield to cover anybody. I'm not defending Kevin King, but we have proof on tape that he is very solid when he covers one on one using contact at the line of scrimmage and following him downfield. He is terrible when you play him zone, or that far from WR.

I also agree with you that the first pass was testing for long throw over KK.

coolhand's picture

September 15, 2021 at 09:56 am

King is playing 10 yards off on the play. There is no disruption of the timing or the route by the receiver. That's not the defense we all heard Barry was going to bring to the team.

PatrickGB's picture

September 15, 2021 at 10:00 am

Sometimes it’s best to not try the zone run and just man up and double up on their defensive linemen when they are light in the box with only four defensive linemen facing us. Run Dillon behind the push. Play it like we are on the goal line. A few of those plays makes them rethink playing off the LOS. The best defense against our zone rush is quick linebackers. Other teams have figured that out.