Packers Snap Count Versus The Steelers - Week Four

The Packers plugged in some depth players and ground out a victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Packers protected Equanimeous St. Brown last week and then elevated him to the 53 man roster as a covid replacement.  The inactives were Elgton Jenkins, Krys Barns, Kevin King (all due to injury) and LaDarius Hamilton.  Jordan Love and Jake Hanson were active but did not play.

Player Snaps % STs

Dillon 29 40 7 - 28%
Hill     11 - 44%

Tonyan 56 78 9 - 36%
Lewis 35 49
Deguara 24 33 10 - 40%
T. Davis     7 - 28%

The offensive line allowed 9 pressures, the same as Pittsburgh's offensive line allowed.  Rodgers generally had time to pass the ball.  Rodgers was not sharp, missing on a few throws, but did enough.  Rodgers was sacked 3 times  for 28 yards and was hit 8 times on 36 pass attempts.

The Packers were able to run the ball effectively for the whole game.  It was nice to see Dillon carry the ball three straight times for a first down (4, 5, and 6 yard gains, respectively) while up 27-10 in the fourth quarter.  Rodgers then missed Tonyan who was open deep, which was followed by two more incompletions and a punt.

While an argument can be made for just running the ball to ice the game given that the offensive line seemed to be leaning hard on the Steelers weary defensive line, I thought taking the shot play to Tonyan deep was fine.  The Packers need to get Tonyan going.  Those runs had the desired effect of creating space for a deep shot, which has been part of the Packers' plan.  Deviating from the identity of the offense had been a problem under McCarthy when the Packers got a lead.  I thought the Packers were in control all game, and never really felt any concern that the Steelers could win this game or mount a comeback in the fourth quarter.  Tonyan finished with 2 receptions on 7 targets for 8 yards.

Randall Cobb finally got some snaps in the absence of Valdes-Scantling.  Cobb responded with a game high 69 yards in yards on five receptions (6 targets), many of which were third down plays that resulted in first downs.  Cobb caught two touchdown passes.  Davante Adams finished with 64 yards on 6 receptions, though on 11 targets.  The Packers also got some nice matchups for Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon in the passing game.  Jones finished with 3 receptions on 4 targets for 51 yards, and Dillon added a 16-yard reception.

Player Snaps % STs

McDuffie     14 - 56%

Clark 50 83 1 - 4%
Lowry 38 63 9 - 36%
Keke 30 50 4 - 16%
Slaton 9 15 3 - 12%
Heflin 3 5 3 - 12%

The Steelers ran the ball 8 times for 31 yards in the first half and ran 8 more times in the second half for another 31 yards.  The Steelers finished with 16 carries for 62 yards, good for a 3.9 yard average with a long of 11 yards.  Rothlisberger hit Diontae Johnson for a 45-yard touchdown throw over Jaire Alexander, but otherwise Rothlisberger appeared to be non-threatening.  He was inaccurate far too often, including on short throws.  Chase Claypool missed the game for the Steelers.

De'Vondre Campbell had a team high 9 tackles (5 solo), a pass breakup, and a quarterback hit.  Oren Burks, playing the absence of Krys Barnes, had 6 tackles (3 solo) and 2 run stops, including a tackle for loss.  According to Pro Football Focus, Burks missed two tackles as well.  The Packers also plugged in Chandon Sullivan for 50 snaps.  Alexander left the game in the third quarter with an injury to his AC joint and did not return.

The Packers had 5 quarterback hits on the immobile Rothlisberger, two by Gary, and one each by Campbell, Keke and Clark.  Keke's hit on Rothlisberger's arm caused a fumble which was recovered by Clark.  Otherwise, Keke had one tackle and was credited with a sack and a pass defensed.

The Packers plugged in replacements for its missing starters and ground out a victory over the Steelers.  The Packers seemed like the better team, with my only concern being special teams fiascos.  The special teams did allow a 40 yard kickoff return, a 14 yard punt return (but also downed a punt deep) and had a field goal blocked and returned for a touchdown.  That blocked field goal was negated by an offsides penalty, which was a close call as to the timing.  There is still work to be done on special teams.

WRs:  2.375

RBs:  2.03

TEs:  1.60

DL:  2.17

ILB: 1.75

OLB: 1.98

DBs: 5.10

October 04, 2021 at 04:37 am

I lost track, but looks like Cobb had 3 receptions that got first downs and 2 TD catches. Very efficient. ESB played a lot of snaps for one target and no completions. And I thought that one was tough but catchable.

I don't know why while I was watching the game that I never worried about losing. Their run game was decent but I didn't think it would hurt us. I didn't think Rothlisberger had it anymore. Washington, Juju and James Washington isn't a bad set of receivers, even with Claypool out.

I noticed Burks miss a tackle, but otherwise I can't say I really noticed him either way. Same with Sullivan, for the most part. Campbell was active again and pretty good, though Big Ben missed some short passes that might have skewed my perception.

I would have liked to see Kylin Hill get some snaps on offense. I didn't mind the shot play to Tonyan. I hated it when McCarthy went into his shell at times, but I understand the just pound the ball with a 17 point lead argument as well. Dillon just ran it three straight times, and Jones had 9 yards on 6 rushes in the second half. Good time for Hill, though IIRC he put the ball on the ground during the preseason.

This team is better with Stokes on the field. Sooner or later the refs will stop calling ticky tacky penalties on him.

murf7777's picture

October 04, 2021 at 06:44 am

I’m so happy for Cobb, he’s such a great Packer and was sorry to see him leave. I was very happy when the Packers acquired him and felt he had something left in the tank. It shows what a veteran can do over younger like ESB type of players, especially when they have that “it” factor with the QB. When you are in a win now mode, bringing in very good Vets vs trusting young players to develop makes sense.

It’s a delicate balance a GM must ride between younger and vets, when to add or cut them. Good job Gutey agreed/acquiesced to Rodgers thoughts/demands:)

Coldworld's picture

October 04, 2021 at 07:54 am

I can’t fathom why we like to elevate ESB in favor of Taylor actually getting snaps. ESB is one of those players who just can’t quite make it happen, as we saw yet again. I’d rather have Taylor’s mentality out there.

wildbill's picture

October 04, 2021 at 08:07 am

Very much agree

October 04, 2021 at 06:35 am

They tried to pick on Stokes, who is a little up and down, but overall he looks good. Here's hoping Jaire is okay. If he is out, and King is still in concussion protocol, teams probably won't pick on Stokes if GB trots Yiadom out as the other boundary corner. That probably is the same if King is the other CB.

I wonder if Jaire misses the game against Cincy and King is still out whether GB calls up Ento (and gives Ento defensive snaps)?

croatpackfan's picture

October 04, 2021 at 07:51 am

TGR, they also have Jean-Charles Shemar who was very good in colleague as boundary corner. Packers are trying to teach him to play "gold" position and he is in transition to that position. But, still, they can put him at the boundary as temporary solution, if Yiadom become problem. Vs Steelers Yiadom plays acceptable, allowed at least one catch, but also get the tackle immediately after that catch. That much I noticed.

Rashan Gary produced quite a lot of pressure and was defending run well. All together I think Packers D improved a little from last week and I hope the improvement will be continued by every game.

Lets hope that neither injury occurred yesterday will not be long term...

Coldworld's picture

October 04, 2021 at 07:57 am

If the reports of a shoulder separation are correct, we may be without Alexander for a couple of months. I would expect IR and a depth signing.

greengold's picture

October 04, 2021 at 07:05 am

Great stuff, TGR. Yeah, I felt pretty much the same throughout the game that this was going to be all Packers.

Stokes is performing well as a starter… glad he got the INT. Yiadom filled in nicely for Jaire. My concern is what happens here with an elite QB throwing on them?

I do think Stokes is getting some ticky tack calls. Agree. I think he’ll be a very special player here. Insanely talented & gifted.

Burks, to me, seems to miss the mark. Missed tackles every time he’s on the field. The 6 tackles he did make seemed to be less impactful and more late clean up… I do have an admitted bias that’s developed towards him, maybe that’s clouding my perception. I just don’t see a good football player in Oren Burks.

I wish Slaton would get more reps…

October 04, 2021 at 07:37 am

LOL. I was just happy not to see a fiasco with Burks.

I'm just happy Heflin got 3 snaps. Baby steps for Barry. I'd like to see more for Slaton. A couple of people think Keke did more than just the one play. If so, I didn't notice.

I'm pretty sure Yiadom gave up the 30-yarder to James Washington. I am entirely sure that I don't want to see Yiadom on the field if at all possible.

croatpackfan's picture

October 04, 2021 at 07:54 am

Keke deflected the pass that was stopped one of the Steelers possessions. Sometime in the 4Q. I can not remember the exact moment, but he was active against run and he strip-sacked Ben when he fumbled the brick...

Coldworld's picture

October 04, 2021 at 08:01 am

Yiadom is a ST player. We need to find another corner, since Sullivan and Jean-Charles aren’t boundary types. Personally, I’d give Hollman a call, but I never could see what he did to lose favor.

Once again, thank you for getting this out for us TGR.

croatpackfan's picture

October 04, 2021 at 01:03 pm

You are wrong. Jean-Charles Shemar would know what he was playing at college, what do you think?

Coldworld's picture

October 04, 2021 at 04:31 pm

I know where he played at Appalachian State. What a guy can do in college doesn’t translate to the NFL all the time and particularly so coming from a smaller program.

In his case, he is questionable in terms of speed among other things. Where he excelled was in anticipation snd ball skills. There is a reason that he’s been in the slot almost exclusively since he arrived. He’s not an ideal prospect to be running outside and is sufficiently raw that he’s yet to see much time inside.

Guam's picture

October 04, 2021 at 08:11 am

Was Lancaster hurt or is Barry finally figuring out his personnel? According to the above, Lancaster was active but got zero snaps and I don't remember seeing him on the field at any point in time. That is an excellent move by Barry. Both Slaton and Heflin should get more snaps than Lancaster. I thought the D-line looked a bit better this game although they are still a ways from being a good D-line.

October 04, 2021 at 05:46 pm

Lancaster was on the Covid list. Mea culpa - I mentioned that ESB was elevated as a Covid replacement but then didn't mention it was due to Lancaster being on the Covid List.

So, Lancaster was not active as he was unavailable while in the Covid protocol.

THESZOTMAN1's picture

October 04, 2021 at 09:56 am

Thanks for weekly rundown on snap counts, TGR. A couple concerned me:
Can we continued to trot big Kenny Clark out there 83% of the time? Seems to me he'll wear down as season progresses. Not to belabor a point, but....... GET KENNY SOME HELP!
On the other hand, we need Campbell on the field 100% of the time. Ok, 99%. We cannot have a impact player on the sideline except for one or two quick blows a game. Best middle backer we've seen since ....................... I can't remember.
The Szotman

October 04, 2021 at 06:13 pm

You've hit my pet peeve.

Clark got paid like a DT and DTs play a ton of snaps. 80% of snaps is normal for a DT.

The issue is people see Clark as an NT. Nose tackles play 50% to 60% of snaps. And they don't get paid like DTs typically unless they are headed for the hall of fame. Linval Joseph got $11.25M and now DJ Reader just got $13.25M AAV as prototypical NTs. But Clark isn't the typical 330 pound 2-gapping NT, though he can do that. He's 310. I view him as a DT who ought to play 70% to 80% of snaps, especially at $17.1M AAV.

Clark does need help simply because GB plays 2.3 DL per play and no one else really is a plus player other than Clark. He does not need help just from a snaps viewpoint.

Lots of people disagree. It will be interesting to see what Vita Vea gets for money when he finishes his rookie deal. He is well positioned as he will be on his 5th year option in 2022. TB might let him play on that deal but probably tries to sign him long term if he k shows that he can stay healthy this year.

Oppy's picture

October 04, 2021 at 07:02 pm

I'm one of the lots of people. There aren't many 310 lbs linemen who can do what Kenny Clark does. He's a rare player and absolutely worth the price of admission IMO.

He's the best lineman the Packers have had since Ryan Pickett. Coincidentally, he's the only lineman who can actually play 0 tech since Ryan Pickett, too.

Nose Tackles are *the* cog in 3-4 defense. If you don't have NT who can effectively draw the double, play 2-gap and control the LOS, you've just lost the ability to get your Edge rusher the 1-on-1 match up you're looking for on passing downs, and integrity up the gut of the defense is compromised, so you're no longer turning run plays outside to your playmakers, either.