Why Edge Rusher Is The Packers Biggest Weakness On Defense

The Packers have an elite star in Rashan Gary... but one player does not make an entire unit.

The Packers defense has improved quite a bit offseason, and added long-term stability.

The made Jaire Alexander the highest-paid defensive back in the history of the game, bringing back maybe the biggest star on the Packers defense after he missed most of last season. They also re-signed Rasul Douglas, who had a break out year replacing Alexander after getting plucked from the Arizona practice squad. Throw in a year of development for Eric Stokes and they have the best trio of cornerbacks in the NFL.

At safety, they picked up the 5th year option for Darnell Savage and still have Adrian Amos (who has more than earned his free agent deal and outshone former teammate Eddie Jackson since arriving in Green Bay).

On the whole, the Packers may have the best secondary in the NFL.

At inside linebacker, the Packers weren't content to just run with All Pro De'Vondre Campbell. They drafted physical phenom Quay Walker with their first pick in the draft, giving the Packers a pair of inside linebackers like they've never had before. This will allow Joe Barry to deploy schemes he's only been able to dream of in the past. Krys Barnes, a former starter, is a more than capable 3rd inside linebacker that can provide depth and round out sub packages.

Defensive line, which has long been the weakness of this team, was transformed virtually overnight. After signing Jarran Reed, the Packers took Devonte Wyatt in the 1st round of the draft, giving Green Bay the most talent they've had in a 3 man front in a long time. With the development of TJ Slaton and the steady presence of Dean Lowry to go with one of the most dominant nose tackles in the game in Kenny Clark, this defensive line looks like the kind of group that wreck opposing gameplans all by themselves.

Which brings us to edge rusher.

First, we have Rashan Gary, who is on the verge of superstar status and looks like he has no ceiling. There is no denying he is a critical piece to this defense.

On the other side, Preston Smith is a very good edge rusher with an under-valued ability to hold the edge. However, from season to season, his production has been markedly inconsistent over his career. He's never had fewer than 8 sacks in an odd-numbered season (like 2021, when he had 9 sacks) and has never had more than 4.5 sacks in an even-numbered season. It's uncanny. And we're heading towards an even-numbered season. Maybe this is just randomness, but as he enters his 8th season, there's certainly an ingrained precedent here.

After that, the Packers have... uh... question marks?

Whitney Mercilus retired after a short, promising stint with the Packers ended in injury. He returned for the playoffs, but, to be honest, that ended even more tragically that his regular season.

Za'Darius Smith, once the biggest dog on this unit, missed most of the season with a back injury, then left for Minnesota.

The Packers are now sorely lacking depth on the edge and only have one bona fide stud.

The defensive line, inside linebackers, and secondary are all stronger units by comparison.

Depth is concerning at the position because - as good as Gary and Smith are, they Packer rotate heavily in this area because of sub packages. Last season, we saw an intentional shift in this area - no edge rusher participated in even 64% of the defensive snaps last year. This is a big difference than 2020, when the Packers leaned heavily on Za'Darius and Preston Smith, who we in for 84% and 79% of the defensive snaps, respectively.

This type of load wore both players down by the end of the season and is not sustainable. Joe Barry moved away from that workload to keep edge rushers fresh, productive, and healthy.

After losing a couple major contributors in the edge rushing group - and not making any notable additions (yet) - edge rusher currently stands as the weakness of this defense.

Bruce Irons has played, coached, and studied football for decades. Best-selling author of books such as A Fan's Guide To Understanding The NFL Draft, A Fan's Guide To Understanding The NFL Salary Cap, and A Fan's Guide To NFL Free Agency Hits And Misses, Bruce contributes to CheeseHeadTV and PackersForTheWin.com.

Follow Bruce Irons on Twitter at @BruceIronsNFL.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

May 29, 2022 at 06:30 am

As GreenGold posted two days ago: "OLB Jonathan Garvin - Miami 6-4 263 34” arms

(2017-2019) 106 TACKLES 29 TFL 12.5 SACKS 5 PD 4 FR 3FF

In 2018 alone, he had 60 TACKLES 17 TFL 5.5 SACKS 5 PD 2 FR 1 TD

In Garvin’s advanced metrics, his speed scores are nothing special, mid 40s percentile. But, 83rd percentile in Burst Score. The Packers love BURST, EXPLOSION off the line. How many of our DL are talent rich in this quality? All of them.

Last year for the Packers he had 16 solo tackles, 1.5 sacks, 15 QB Pressures and 1 TFL a new only 1 missed tackles.

I like him to build on that this year. I like Ramsey if he can prove available. I like Tipa too. All 3 are entering Year 3 in there development?

OLB Kingsley Enagbare - South Carolina 6-4 258 35” arms with a 83 5/8” wingspan posted a low 40 time, resulting in a drop from a firm R2-R3 projection to our R5 Pick #179. I think he’ll be a steal, with that great size, burst to play Edge or 5T just like Z. He’s got violent hands.

120 TACKLES 24 TFL 15 SACKS 4 PD 1 FR 3 FF

Enagbare was one of the highest graded pass rushers in all of college football last year according to PFF. He generated pressure on 15.7% of opponent drop backs last year, ranking #9 overall in FBS, and #2 in the SEC.

While his 40 wasn’t tops, it still ranked in the 87th percentile at 4.87. His BURST? 98th percentile. Agility 70th percentile.

He also already has a wide array of pass rushing moves. Hot motor ALL DAY. Enagbare never takes a play off. EXPLOSIVE with great closing speed.

Enagbare’s PASS RUSH in the 100th percentile. He had 45 QB Pressures in 2021.

He looks 100% NFL ready. I’m confident he’ll prove to be another R5 steal by Gutekunst."

Additionally, the play of Devonte Wyatt and Quay Walker will easily make up for any drop-off to Engabare and Garvin. I expect Engabare and Garvin to be two of the better second-strings of edge in the NFL, with potential to be starters. I still don't understand how Engabare dropped as low as he did for having an AVERAGE 40. I personally wonder if there isn't something else we fans aren't privy to, because on paper and based on tape he seems like he should have been a third-round pick.

PhantomII's picture

May 29, 2022 at 11:00 am

Thanks for providing all the personnel information why the article is not as true as written and confirm in my mind why S-A-F-E-T-Y is the biggest question mark on the Defense. It looks like we have some depth around most position but there are question marks in IF they are ready to produce enough to counter a possible injury scenario or just fill in a few plays. One thing for sure.....We have enough top end talent now on the DL and our starting OLB that we will get a pass rush up front to help out the secondary.

LLCHESTY's picture

May 29, 2022 at 09:01 pm

"with great closing speed."

This is false.

Oppy's picture

May 30, 2022 at 11:07 am

Really hope I'm 100% wrong and my eye for pro-level pass rush is just plain bad, but I don't see Enagbare's skills translating to NFL level pass rush greatness. He doesn't look like he's got the agility and bend to be an elite edge rusher to me.

With that being said, what he does look like is a brute force plodder with exceptionally long arms. He looks like an NFL 3-4 LB who can set a mean, mean edge, who can keep OT's hands off his jersey, disengage and make the tackle on a RB who would normally be out of arms reach with his crazy wingspan. I think he will be a nightmare for opposing running backs. I would expect him to be a valuable asset in run defense. I can see him getting occasional sacks when the QB is flushed from the pocket and tries to escape to his side of the formation and also get the occasional bull rush sack- again, his long arms are going to be immensely helpful in getting those "by the back of the jersey" drag down sacks- but I just don't think he's got the quick feet, mobility, and wiggle to be a pass rush specialist like many seem to believe he is destined to be.

mrtundra's picture

May 29, 2022 at 07:57 am

Bruce, your article doesn't mention, but kind of hints at, that the Packers drafted Kingsley Enagbare, as a pass rusher. I want to see what JJ Jetplane does in camp before we dismiss him. GO PACK, GO!!!

May 29, 2022 at 08:12 am

I'm bullish on Enagbare as well. The Packers have a type for OLBs: Z, P, Gary, Garvin--the Packers don't target speed guys out there, they like big, long OLBs who can beat TEs, wrestle with OTs, and play with their hand on the ground if needed. They let Kyler Fackrell go--he didn't fit the paradigm. Enagbare might need a year to get stronger--he's going to have to win with power and tenacity, which means he's probably a year or two away from being at his best, but Garvin showed he could absorb snaps in 2022 so I think they keep 5 OLB: Gary, Smith, Garvin, Enagbare, and an OLB who will play primarily on STs.

The shift will be more snaps for the DL. They're deeper--and better--there than they've been for years. Wyatt and Reed are upgrades over Keke and Lancaster, and where Wyatt will be green I think he's a better hand-on-the-ground player than Keke right now. There will be a better rotation there to keep guys fresh--I'm expecting more from Slaton in 2022 to help save Clark--and more 3 DL snaps on passing downs. They still lack a dominant rushing DE/5-tech, but between the two positions, the players are starting to look like they're there.

LLCHESTY's picture

May 29, 2022 at 09:24 pm

I think they let Fackrell go because they knew that 10.5 sack season by him was a bit of a mirage. According to PFR(they are much stingier with pressures than other sites) he had those sacks on just 18 pressures. The next year he had 1 sack in 12 pressures. In 2020 he had 4 sacks in 15 pressures with the Giants, which seems about average. The trend around the league is bigger Edge guys but I think they looked at Fackrell as more of a backup than a starter and knew someone would overpay him.

I'd be interested to know why Gutey hasn't drafted a 5T "type" since he became the GM but I would guess l availability has a lot to do with it. There just isn't a lot of those guys in each draft and with teams playing more nickel than ever those guys are usually only playing 30-35% of the snaps. If they can't move to 3T on passing downs they're pretty much day 3 guys and then demand probably gets them drafted a little higher than they should be. Jeff Simmons on the Titans is a good example of a guy that can do both. He doesn't have ideal 5T height but has 34 and a half inch arms. I wouldn't have minded a trade down by Gutey to get him but he went quicker than I thought he would given his knee injury and Gary definitely looks to be working out. 😁

If you haven't check out Larry McCarren's Rock Report on Slaton. He likes how he looks so far through OTAs. If he's gotten a little stronger and learns to shed blockers quicker I think we definitely see more 3 man IDL snaps. Dude looks almost svelte at 330 lbs!

Handsback's picture

May 29, 2022 at 08:11 am

Bruce, you are right about the OLBs but I don't think it will compromise the Packers defense this year. All teams have a weakness, I believe the Packers strengths in the middle and back end will frustrate offensive game plans as we see the team come together.

Turophile's picture

May 30, 2022 at 10:54 am

Handsback makes the good point that all teams have stronger and weaker areas.

In another CHTV article (about ST and Rich Bisaccia) I said "You get what you emphasise". The same applies here, but in this case I'm referring mainly to the draft.

For a decade the 49ers emphasised the front 7 on defense. They invested so much draft capital there (in terms of first round picks) that they ended with a ferocious pass rush despite some missteps like Aldon Smith, Reuben Foster, Solomon Thomas and the loss of DeForest Buckner when his contract came due

The Packers went a different route. They invested very heavily in DBs. Despite some missteps of their own (losing Hayward who shone elsewhere and Clinton-Dix and Josh Jackson, who bombed and King who had serious limitations) they now have probably the best secondary in the league.

Different approaches, but both teams achieved their aim, a dominant unit. You choose your approach and spend your draft picks accordingly.

In this years draft, the Packers went much further than the 49ers to upgrade their front seven, which is now pretty good. The 49ers had much less draft capital this year (after the Trey Lance trade) and didn't do that much to upgrade their very average secondary, while the Packers had more high picks than usual (after trading Adams).

A superb secondary and fast improving front seven should put the Packers in a very good position for the future. For them, in the mid-term future it's all about life after Rodgers. If they can find an upper-level QB to follow him, they are in a great position, but if they cannot manage that for some time, even the superb defense will probably not be enough.

One last point. Injuries can quickly make a mockery of a teams plans. Lose even one of your prime Edge guys or Safeties and your entire defense can slide rather quickly. A team might have decent depth at one or even two positions on the roster, but no team has good depth in many spots and many teams cannot even count on good starters.

NickPerry's picture

May 29, 2022 at 08:15 am

"They drafted physical phenom Quay Walker with their first pick in the draft, giving the Packers a pair of inside linebackers like they've never had before. This will allow Joe Barry to deploy schemes he's only been able to dream of in the past."

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the Packers didn't use Quay Walker much in the way the Cowboys used Micah Parsons as a rookie. If you compare the two Walkers vertical and broad jump at the combine weren't that much different from Parsons at his PRO day (Aren't Pro Day stats always better than combine results). My point is, this kid is an athletic freak, I don't think he's he scratched the surface of what he can do on a football field.

Walker had 25 QB pressures last season at Georgia. I think Joe Barry is going to unleash this kids potential. He may not bend around the edge like Parsons, but I think he 'll be used inside shooting the A Gap. At 6'4", 245 with his speed can you imagine how fast he'll be in a QB's face?

While I agree one of the Packers biggest needs is to add a Justin Houston or someone like that, I think with Walker, Enagbare, and Garvin, and the big dudes Wyatt & Reed, to go with Clark, Gary, and Smith, the Packers probably have MORE than Joe Barry has ever had to work with.

Enjoy this season friends, the Packers have become a NASTY Defense and they could be the best one the NFL has to offer this year. Now, if Aaron Rodgers will just buy into that idea...

May 29, 2022 at 08:15 am

I disagree: S is the budding problem position. No knowns in the room past the two starters at a position where the Packers have historically leaned on 3 guys week-in and week-out. Savage looked lost at times in 2021, but I think he picks it up in 2022. That said, they're one injury away from a sucking chest-wound on defense and finding a credible third S has to be one of the first priorities for this defense in 2022.

Coldworld's picture

May 29, 2022 at 08:51 am

I agree with your stance Dobber.

What we have at OLB is a group of young players. While Ramsey is largely unknown to us fans, the Packers continue to talk as if he is a player they believe in. Enagbare is a draft pick with a high motor and college stats that belie his testing. Garvin is a young player who looked like he belonged last season until he got injured and was never quite the same after. Another year in the conditioning program won’t hurt, but he’s apparently prodigiously strong per player comments.

That’s ignoring Galeai who has talent but unless he’s added strength and mass then he may not realize it and two others who flashed a little and may show more after an off season Two established starters, and some promising talent in Garvin, Enagbare and, per the team, Ramsey followed by two largely unknowns and a guy who has talent if his physique can catch up. I don’t see that as too problematic if we can stay reasonably healthy. Gary, Smith, Garvin, Enagbare and Ramsey would be the 5 i’d expect and I’d not be concerned at that.

At S, it’s Amos and Savage and a whole lot of questions. A STer in Davis, a player who never saw action last year and then a ST pick who is part ILB and a PSer last year and a UDFA. None of whom are obvious deep cover capable. There is likely at least one ST regular making the roster in there, but as a true source of safety back up, particularly deep, the UDFA may actually be the best candidate. Whenever that can be said (despite his interesting story) that’s pretty suggestive that it’s a weak spot.

LLCHESTY's picture

May 29, 2022 at 06:08 pm

If Galeai could get in the 240-245 lb range I think he could make a nice contribution as a change of pace DPR guy. He did play around a third of the D snaps in the 7 games he was active in and 60 snaps on STs.

greengold's picture

May 29, 2022 at 10:05 am

dobs, it’s really something isn’t it? A lot of unknowns left, but from a depth perspective, you might be right.

I’ve felt since the draft the Packers were likely to have S and TE as top draft priorities in 2023. Maybe Gutekunst is going to try to find a gem cap casualty there.

I do like Innis Gaines. He’s got some great tools to work with, and they’ve committed development resources in keeping him. Maybe he surprises, after looking lost last preseason.

To me, that was an anomaly, because the kid is a straight up baller, able to play both S and CB, with equal run stop/coverage skills.

LLCHESTY's picture

May 29, 2022 at 09:50 pm

Where do you get CB out of Gaines? I watched a few of TCU's games last year before the draft to watch Moehrig and Ar'Darius Washington and in their 3 safety defense Gaines was almost always a box S, sometimes more like a LB. The only time I saw him more than 10 yards down field was lined up on a TE. Maybe they moved him to slot defender to free up Moehrig for other things occasionally but if they did I didn't see it in the games I watched. Scott was just a JAG for them until Gaines went down and then it looked to me they moved Moehrig to SS and played Scott as the slot defender where he caught the scouts eye.

I sometimes hate to rag on you so much but you do tend to stretch the truth an awful lot.

greengold's picture

June 01, 2022 at 06:20 pm

I kindly ask you to back the F off of me. You're literally becoming a stalker.

Gaines being able to switch between S and CB was something I read in my research, and I do not appreciate your CONSTANT questioning of my integrity.

I only share info that I've read in researching players. Star-Telegram direct quote from Gaines himself. "I can make plays from anywhere," Gaines said. "I can play outside corner, nickel, strong safety, deep safety... I just like being by the ball."

This from TCU Safeties Coach Paul Gonzalez: “A couple teams have asked about him at corner. They like the length and the ball skills that he has,” Gonzales said. “He’s very athletic and has a great skill set. And he’s got a high football IQ. He’s very instinctive, he has a knack for making plays and those things come out when you talk to him.”

That took me 11 seconds to look up. Get the F outta my face, LLCHESTY.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

May 29, 2022 at 10:38 am

Quick on the draw dobber beat a few of us on picking safety as the area of greatest concern and he spelled it out perfectly. I was eyeing that Notre Dame safety, Kyle Hamilton in the draft and was wondering whether he would be on the Packers target list had he fallen to the bottom half of the 1st round. He was taken somewhere around the middle of the 1st round (14th or 15th I think) so we will never know.

May 29, 2022 at 07:35 pm

Tre Sterling!

croatpackfan's picture

May 29, 2022 at 08:46 am

I understand your worry Bruce. There is lot of unknown amongst that group. Behind Gary and Smith we do not have already proved player.

On the other hand, as some posters here point out, there is lot of talent behind OLB Packers' stars. We need one to shine and one to show improvement. And I believe there is good probability that will be like that this season.

MarkinMadison's picture

May 29, 2022 at 09:17 am

Folks, there are so damn many good comments above that I can't think of much to add.

Mr. Irons looks at OLB and sees it as being overly top-heavy. Compare that to the Packers' 2021 WR room. I've got way more faith in this OLB room as a group. A lot more to work with here.

In 2020 Preston Smith had a down year on the stat sheet, but he was being asked to drop into coverage. With this new ILB group, if Preston is in coverage on a regular basis someone should get fired.

To me, the biggest question mark on this team is OL. Where do the pieces fit? Who is healthy when? The biggest X factor on this team will be how long it takes for Watson or Doubs to emerge as a legitimate threat. Hopefully the D can keep this team in the hunt while the offense gets sorted out.

PhantomII's picture

May 29, 2022 at 11:16 am

Smith got paid did well in season....Didn't take care of himself got heavy and slow.....took a pay-cut with incentives and worked his way back to relevance and seems motivated to stay there and after seeing "Z" let go should keep his work ethic in line with his duties. There is the even odd formula in a nutshell. Given the improvements all over our defense all should have better numbers this season.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

May 29, 2022 at 11:39 am

Exactly Phantom regarding Smith. Was very out of shape in 2020. Contract year comes to camp in shape. Scary! What shape does he show up in after new contract?

LLCHESTY's picture

May 29, 2022 at 06:17 pm

Someone should not get fired if Smith is dropping into coverage. It probably means they're playing with 3 IDL and rushing 4. If you can get to the QB with 4 guys why rush 5. It all depends on if Barry wants to play more 3-3-5 this year instead of 2-4-5.

Pantz_Burp's picture

May 29, 2022 at 10:01 am

"The Packers have an elite star in Rashan Gary... but one player does not make an entire unit"...true, and thanks Bruce. Yeah, well...CheeseHead TV has an elite up and coming star in Pantz Burp...but one commenter does not make an entire unit. Come on fellow CheeseHeaders, please bring it!

Coldworld's picture

May 29, 2022 at 12:16 pm

You are the self-appointed Limburger of cheeseheadTV commenters?

Pantz_Burp's picture

May 29, 2022 at 11:47 am

A slice of cheese is well served Cold and Stinky! Nicely played Cold... :-)

Swisch's picture

May 29, 2022 at 01:04 pm

PB, is your driving ambition is to be the cheesiest among us?
If you achieve that distinction, will you forget about us, hold out on us, and skip OTAs on us while playing in celebrity golf tournaments?
Please, don't forget us as your companions if you become a big cheese.
As long as you don't turn into some hideous muenster, or start throwing a feta every time someone disagrees with you, then I'm truly glad to have you here at CHTV.

BradHTX's picture

May 29, 2022 at 02:55 pm

Strong pun game, Swisch! As I a-go over your comment, I’m impressed; this is no idle cheddar. Gouda job, my man.

Pantz_Burp's picture

May 29, 2022 at 04:05 pm

Brad, how can I be the man when you the man? It never o-CURD to me I got competition on this level.

I am rolling my sleeves up.... :D

Swisch's picture

May 29, 2022 at 08:03 pm

Brad, while PB and I showed some good dexterity in word play, I would say you surpassed us in your rapierlike display of pun-manship. Well done!

Pantz_Burp's picture

May 29, 2022 at 04:01 pm

Swisch, you are a historian of the Pack. Your comments ring true for success on the grid iron and in life as well. Now, the puns you threw down are another side of ya! I thought there was no WHEY you would be a chameleon of sorts. :D

Go Swisch Go!

Swisch's picture

May 30, 2022 at 12:15 pm

To borrow from BradHTX, not only do I seek to avoid idle cheddar, but to take it from mild to sharp.
***
Thanks, PB, for the appellation of historian, although I think Since"61 and others know quite a bit more than I do regarding the heritage our beloved Packers. I genuinely hope they will share even more of their knowledge here at CHTV to correct, complement contextualize and complete my offerings.
I do like to think I have a niche as far as providing a passionate and even poetic perspective to the history of the Packers with relevance for today.
Watching part two of the Lombardi documentary from the NFL Channel yesterday was quite the emotional experience -- including both Jerry Kramer and Frank Gifford relating their last moments with Lombardi as he lay in a hospital bed dying of cancer.
If Gifford can start to tear up, I don't feel as bad for weeping multiple times.
***
A wonderful part of this Lombardi bio was the re-affirmation that these championship Packers were built not only on strict discipline but brotherly love.
Here's hall-of-fame linebacker Dave Robinson -- a black man in the turbulent time of Civil Rights -- expressing a kind of surprise (if that's the right word) in crying at the funeral of a white man, but explaining it's because Lombardi was like a father to him
Although Lombardi could ruthlessly tear down a player, seemingly to extremes; he also had a knack for sending a player into a sense of elation with a few words or a simple gesture. What won out was that he cared deeply about his guys.
Lombardi was able to develop masterfully as a coach a balance between the individual and the team. He called his players to sacrifice for each other as an effective unit, yet never lost sight of them as persons.
In the 1980s, the prominent sports reporter Dick Schaap (during his second collaboration with Jerry Kramer) called the Lombardi Packers the greatest team of all time in any sport -- not necessarily the most talented or successful, but the greatest group dynamic.
It was a synergy of camaraderie that made the whole greater than the sum of its parts. The grizzled head coach actually used the word love.
As the Packers of 2022 strive in the competitive NFL for victory in the Super Bowl, it seems this element of the Lombardi Era may be the missing piece that puts them over the top.
***
As we commemorate and celebrate Memorial Day, it seems worthwhile to note that it was the intense patriotism and piety in Lombardi that elevated him as a leader.
In the ancient world before Christ, it was taken for granted that some people were more valuable than others, and that the lesser were expendable for the sake of their supposed betters. As Chesterton writes, from the democracy of Athens to the despotism of Babylon, the individual was always insignificant before the state.
It is Christianity that is the origin of the belief in the equality of all persons without exception, as enshrined in the Declaration of Independence.
It is uniquely the Christian corollary of serving all persons without exception that is the source of our glorious military tradition of no one left behind.
These cherished beliefs apply to every endeavor of life, even football, as Lombardi realized to the point of genius in his appreciation of his country and his religion. In sacrificing ourselves for others, somehow we reach a new level of personal fulfillment.
Apparently, the men of Lombardi grew to treasure him as not just a teacher of football, but of life; and in the process these Packers became a shining example of the cohesion and cooperation and companionship that is the sinew of American greatness.

Pantz_Burp's picture

May 29, 2022 at 08:07 pm

Thanks Swisch, not that simpler is the right word but I so gravitate to that Packer era. I agree, many...many intelligent, knowledgeable Packer fans indeed on CHTV.

Some day, I am going to drive around the Green Bay area and look at the houses, churches, supper clubs that the Packers frequented from time to time...that will be a rush.

Happy Memorial Day ( a tad early ) and thanks for contributing to the message board Swisch. 👌👍

Swisch's picture

May 30, 2022 at 03:25 pm

A Happy Memorial Day to you, PB, and a heartfelt salute of gratitude to our veterans.
Highly recommended on Monday is a replay of great bio of U. S. Grant on the History Channel; which is followed by a new bio of Teddy Roosevelt that I hope is close to being as good.

ImaPayne's picture

May 31, 2022 at 10:05 pm

I still dont think Gary is all that good. I would be very worried packer fans, Gary has reminded me of Perry since day one. We know that Perry was so so on and off and could go missing in games and ditto for Gary.
We also know Perry's best year was year five and then adios Packers, I want da moooney.
I see this being Gary's last year if my comparison holds true.

greengold's picture

May 29, 2022 at 11:19 am

Most recent updated Big Board Rankings prior to 2022 Draft:

Kingsley Enagbare

52 Overall - PFF
45 Overall - Ourlads
56 Overall - Athlon’s
66 Overall - The Sporting News

Pick #179 by the Packers

It’s funny, but every year there’s uncertainty at a number of positions. For the Packers, those are few at our starting positions. For the most part, we’re addressing rotational depth and backups.

I both like the players we’ve been developing at OLB, and wouldn’t complain about them adding another proven NFL talent into this group. My feelings are same at S and OT. A top value 5T might be of equal need.

A lot of promise overall with this team, and I think Packer fans in general have been gun shy in trusting player development. It wasn’t McCarthy’s calling card, and we are just now about to witness LaFleur’s and that of his position coaches.

We’ve seen some of it in the + column with Gary, Campbell, Nijman, Runyan, Dillon, Lazard. I’m sure this year, we’ll get a far better read on player development under LaFleur.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

May 29, 2022 at 11:43 am

GG,
2022 = Jordan Love! 🙏

Tyler Davis!

greengold's picture

May 29, 2022 at 01:10 pm

Garvin, Ramsey, Tipa, Slaton, Savage, Gaines, Newman, SJC, Ento, Wilborn, Deguara, Amari & Love.

Those are players I’ll be keying on to get a better measure on player development. Would be great to see them take noticeable steps forward.

LLCHESTY's picture

May 29, 2022 at 07:28 pm

Ourlads and Athlons come out before they even run the combine and PFF pretty much goes strictly by college production. Tony Pauline has him at 128 before the draft, called him a hard nosed player that lacks the size for DE and the speed for OLB. Enagbare fell because his agility testing was straight up bad. His 3-cone was 33rd percentile and SS was 39th percentile. When a bunch of DTs run a faster 3-cone(the most important metric for Edge rushers) than an Edge is not going to go early. I think you know this but choose to ignore it for whatever reason.

Gary had a slow 3-cone too but not nearly as slow as Enagbare's and he was 19 lbs heavier. Of the top 10 Edge guys in sacks last year only two had slower 3-cones than Gary and one had a slower time than Enagbare, Matt Judon, and he was 275 lbs at the combine. This doesn't mean Enagbare can't be a decent backup eventually but the odds are not in his favor of being anything more than that. He went right where he should've. When it comes to Edge guys play the odds, it's the smart move. Taking Edge guys with bad metrics and expecting them to turn into Za'darius is going to be a losing proposition 95 out of 100 times.

greengold's picture

June 01, 2022 at 09:10 am

Underwear Olympics.

Justin Houston.
Elvis Dummervil.
Calais Campbell.
Navarro Bowman.
Terrell Suggs.

Yeah, none of those guys could play… whatever. Enagbare’s production speaks for itself. The most important metric is: CAN THE GUY PLAY? “I think you know this but choose to ignore it for whatever reason.”

LLCHESTY's picture

May 29, 2022 at 05:12 pm

I'd still actually say deep safety/backup CB is the weaker spot. The backup safeties all seem better suited to the box to me. If Amos or Savage miss any time the next man up could be exposed quickly. Same with the backup CBs. The Edge guys can be schemed if needed, play a Mint front with Walker as a blitzer for example, and they should be getting a stronger push up the middle this year.

Good job getting the homers riled up though.

ImaPayne's picture

May 31, 2022 at 10:01 pm

Ketchum once was asked in his web post about why the Pack doesnt go 4 3 and his answer made a lot of sence: Top edge or DE's cost to much. Its cheaper to rely on linebackers and other to produce a rush then try and pay the big bucks. Besides the best rushers are in the top 10 of the draft so your also trading picks to move up to get them and you have that costs as well.
The Vikes have always built their defense around fast DE's and big Safeties, Its their approach, dont let the QB have time to pick you apart.

June 01, 2022 at 05:09 am

"Top edge or DE's cost to much"

Pass rushers who can get to the QB cost money--whether they're OLBs or DEs. Look at what the Packers paid P and Z, and what they're about to give to Gary and ask yourself whether the cost explanation holds water. It's lame analysis...especially given the Packers spending at the edge of the cap the last few years.