What Does Aaron Jones' Pay Cut Mean for AJ Dillon?

Will both Jones and Dillon be on Green Bay's roster in 2024?

Earlier this week, Green Bay’s star running back, Aaron Jones agreed to a pay cut. This, along with a contract restructure initiated by the Packers, ensured Jones will stay in the fold this season, and likely in 2024 too.

While the contract adjustments have lowered Jones’ cap hit to around $8m in 2023, that figure will boom to $17m next year. If the Packers cut Jones loose in 2024, they would incur more than $12m in dead cap.

So, Jones appears to be here to stay, but what does all this mean for his running mate, AJ Dillon?

Dillon is set to become a free agent after the 2023 season and would likely garner significant interest from other teams who may see the former 2nd round pick as a lead back.

In the last two seasons, Dillon has rushed for a total of 1,573 yards at an average of 4.2 yards per carry and has also found the end zone 12 times.

He has been productive when given the opportunity and provides a vital, differing skill set from Jones. Dillon has also embraced everything it means to be a Green Bay Packer and ingrained himself in the community, becoming a fan favourite in the process.

However, it is fair to question whether the Packers should hand out a lucrative contract to keep him beyond this year.

As long Jones is in Green Bay, he’s going to be the headline act in the backfield, and rightfully so.

There is a widely subscribed school of thought that it is not prudent from a roster building standpoint to pay running backs big money.

It therefore goes without saying that paying two backs would not be considered best practice.

This year’s draft class is absolutely loaded at the position, so the Packers will have ample opportunity to find their next generation of running backs.

Tyler Goodson is also on the roster and flashed his electric potential during pre-season games last year, before spending the 2022 season on Green Bay’s practice squad.

While handing Dillon a second contract may not be the logical move, Packers GM Brian Gutekunst spent a premium draft pick on him and would likely be reluctant to let him walk out the door.

It would not be at all surprising to see Jones and Dillon leading Green Bay’s rushing attack in 2024, and if Gutekunst decides to give Dillon the bag, few Packer fans will complain.

But with a year remaining on his rookie deal, the Packers have a difficult decision to make.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHEESEHEAD NATION WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE.

__________________________

Mark Oldacres is a sports writer from Birmingham, England and a Green Bay Packers fan. You can follow him on twitter at @MarkOldacres

__________________________

croatpackfan's picture

February 19, 2023 at 06:38 am

Well, I suppose if Aaron Jones will retire after 2024, it would be wise to keep AJ Dillon on the roster. As "veteran" RB who can help speed development of the drafted rookies or young UDFA. I'm sure that AJ Dillon contract can be worked out in the manner that cap hit would not be high while A Joned is still on roster.

On the other hand, I agree that it is not fiseable to have 2 RBs with relatively high salaries.

Since'61's picture

February 19, 2023 at 06:48 am

Let's see how 2023 plays out before we start working on the 2024 roster. A lot can happen between now and the end of the 2023 season. Thanks. Since '61

NickPerry's picture

February 19, 2023 at 07:24 am

The voice of reason...Thanks Since '61.

Since'61's picture

February 19, 2023 at 07:46 am

Nick I try to take it one game at a time never mind one season at a time. The Packers aren't close to being ready for 2023 never mind 2024. Stay well. Thanks, Since '61

February 19, 2023 at 07:55 am

There’s not much to write about till the levee breaks …

MainePackFan's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:58 am

As always :)

tincada's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:58 pm

So you're waiting for a mid NFC N finish and then what? AR strings the 3 stooges out again for another $40 Mil next year?

Bitternotsour's picture

February 19, 2023 at 02:00 pm

What it immediately means is the backfield is unchanged for 2023, and that the cap hit is a little more friendly.

February 19, 2023 at 06:53 am

With the relatively short-term nature of Jones' deal, it would be easy to structure a deal for Dillon--if he earns it--that would keep the big hits from happening at the same time.

February 19, 2023 at 08:06 am

We need to use Dillon as the back he was drafted to be. Out of the shotgun regularly he is miscast. He’s another example of a type LaFleur wanted but then isn’t employed in the way anticipated. Not as overlooked or quite as miscast as Deguara, but a similar and significant issue. Most roads lead back to LaFleur.

February 19, 2023 at 08:24 am

Why have a power back without a power running game?

PackyCheese500's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:53 am

Ask MLF

Johnblood27's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:21 am

Murphy told MLF to play nice with AR...

AR told MLF to lay off the under center snaps...

Don't lay everything at MLF's feet...

Murphy remains the root of almost every problem.

February 19, 2023 at 09:30 am

A head coach who is prepared to be told how not to coach is no head coach. If you are right and Murphy and Rodgers that deeply interfering in play design and on field personnel and usage affecting is even worse than billed and LaFleur is even weaker than I thought. No GM should be told who is on the roster and no GM or player should tell a head coach how to coach.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:34 am

And Murphy should not have structured the organization in such a manner which does allow that to happen.

Johnblood27's picture

February 19, 2023 at 10:04 am

Rev it up baby! Keep that tach in the red!

Ferrari-Driver's picture

February 20, 2023 at 08:33 am

By the way, I got a speeding ticket two weeks ago (again).

Ferrari-Driver's picture

February 20, 2023 at 11:22 pm

Nice looking set of wheels, Blood. For the older muscle cars, I do like the Dodge Challenger's from the 1960's. For years, I've owned Porsche's as daily drivers. They are comfortable and perform well. I've owned six 911's in total and have had the last one about two years now. When the new one was delivered, I sold my old one to my neighbor who loves Porsche's. It only had 50K miles on it and he and his wife are crazy about the car. They don't get the same attention that a Ferrari gets when you park it, but they are more practical and about half the price. When I feel like having some wind in my face, it's hard to beat hitting the back roads on a Harley. I have a Harley Davidson Road King Classic is an absolute blast to take on the curvy two lane roads up in the mountains. I only have a few thousand miles on it, but I've loved every mile. So much for cars, who do you think will wind up with Rodgers behind center this year?

Johnblood27's picture

February 21, 2023 at 11:53 am

I used to have a bored out 340 'Cuda with a Hurst speed shift. Turned 6-7 sec quarters out at Bithlo in Central Fla. ...waaaayy back in the day. Broke motor mounts so often I had the block chained to the frame!

I am currently very happy with my Nissan Frontier Pro 4-X. I will have this one until I expire. I am done.

I love my MC also. I have a mint 2000 Honda Shadow Sabre that gets a lot of use on the backroads of Central Florida these days.

I still have my #4 Favre NY Jets hat I purchased weeks after "The Trade". I am looking forward to passing on buying a #12 Rodgers NY Jets hat.

I wanted Favre to stay, I was a huge fan of his. I was wrong... I am right this time, buh bye AR, don't let the screen door hit ya where the good Lord split ya...

tincada's picture

March 01, 2023 at 11:11 am

So all the cheeseheads are in on the 3 stooges, Murf, gutman and Flower. LMAO

February 19, 2023 at 11:04 am

Cracked thumb had something to do with the number shotgun sets after game five.. The other option was playing Love and LaFleur chose not to follow that particular strategy.

The_Baloney_Stops_Here's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:51 pm

The lack of plays from under center didnt start with the thumb. It started at the beginning of the 2021 season right after Rodgers' holdout/coup.

February 19, 2023 at 02:54 pm

Where does Andy Reid place Mahomes? Usually they have him out of the shotgun. Dillion is not a back who can play through a RPO scheme. A.Jones is a better fit. Talk to the Play Designer.

Johnblood27's picture

February 19, 2023 at 11:24 pm

Does Andy Reid coach the Packers?

WTF does Andy Reid have to do with anything regarding the GBP scheme?

I would much rather have him coaching the Packers than MLF, but he doesn't. Get over it. Blame Holmgren for Reid not being the long-time GBP HC.

tincada's picture

March 01, 2023 at 11:13 am

What cracked thumb? His highness was never on the injury report.

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:51 am

Dobber, as much as I really like Jones, there was no need to keep him, especially if the plans are to trade Love. All you have to do is look at the last 10-12 SB winners and how much they paid their top RB. The highest is 2M for that season. The lowest was the Packers with Stark at 325K. RB’s are a dime a dozen. I think you would agree, Dillon is just another back in the league, nothing special. Now, if they keep Rodgers, I can understand keeping this special weapon, but even then it was questionable. I wasn’t in favor of them paying Jones his second contract. Other than McCaffrey (more of a pass catcher)I wouldn’t pay for almost any RB’s second contract.

If I was a top 300 athletic player in HS I’d do anything possible to change position if I was at RB. They are and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, the lowest paid position (when taking into consideration amount paid over career), with the lowest length of career in the NFL. Of course, that is taking out the kickers into consideration.

EnemyTerritory's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:29 pm

Restructuring Jones was the smart thing to do. He is the heart of the GB offense whether running the LaFlower plan or the Diva plan. He is both RB1 and WR2. True RBs are devalued but he is a mismatch on the field. Especially for an offensively challenged team wit no real TE threats and an underwhelming WR room under contract.

February 19, 2023 at 02:50 pm

They have to change up some of his route schemes in the passing game. He is getting CB or safety coverage on the wheel routes and it is a bit predictable. Hopefully, the TE deficiency will be remedied via the draft?

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 02:55 pm

A lot of RB’s are mismatches. How do you dispute the fact that the last 12 SB winning RB’s were paid no higher than 2M per year? Jone’s contract $’s could be spent on the OL & TE that in itself will create better RB’s. I like Jones, but managing a Team with a hard cap is difficult. If the last 12 SB winning teams didn’t spend it on a RB then I think that is an important trend that a wise GM would take note of.

None of that is a hit against Jones, it’s a hit against the value of the position and how much you should spend on it.

LambeauPlain's picture

February 19, 2023 at 07:23 am

Quite the feat AJ is now in the company of Jim Taylor and Ahman Green as top RBs in Packer history.

If Love gets the ball next season (and I hope he does), AJ can greatly help lower the pressure on his new QB with his diverse skillset. With Love, Jones will probably be even more productive next season if both stay on the field. Win win for both men.

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:57 am

If the Packers trade Rodgers, I’d trade Jones and other valuable vets, get as many draft picks, go younger and develop for the future. I’d do what Miami and Houston are doing. The reason is very, very few QB’s do well in year one so why keep the aging vets when you can get draft capital and lower the salary cap and build for the future.

Time for a rebuild, if Packers trade Rodgers you can forget about the playoffs in 2023 and probably 2024.

Johnblood27's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:26 am

Dear Murph,

If you gut the team while you wait and hope your young QB develops you are in fact feeding your young QB to the wolves and destroying him before he even has a chance to develop. See Carr, David for reference...

The prudent course is to have an age diverse roster through draft and UDFA signings while being selective on keeping productive and relatively reasonable salaried vets around.

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:48 am

JB, You’re right about reasonable salaried vets around, but there are ones that aren’t reasonable or necessary to keep around in a rebuild. Didn’t seem to bother Burrow and Lawerence is trending right with many young studs, they have the 27th youngest roster in 2021 they had the 5th youngest roster. Carr has been in the NFL a long time and I don’t believe the Raiders took that approach, right now, they have the oldest roster. I don’t know what their roster looked like when he was a rookie. Sure, there are examples of what you are saying and I don’t argue that is a risk. But, every approach has risk. You could also argue, that David wouldn’t have been successful either way. My belief, is the great ones, will break through regardless.

Let’s take Bak as an example. If you keep him, versus trade him, if you can, will that make that much difference on Love’s first years success? I doubt it, if Love is our QB and not taking anything away from him, they won’t make the playoffs in 2023. Most 1st year starting QB have an average or below first year and very few ever make the playoffs. That’s my point.

February 19, 2023 at 09:54 am

I agree on Bakh. Get what you can for him. Let him and Rodgers have a last chance to win elsewhere and take any picks and cap and start youth. Either Tom or Nijman will be fine for Love at LT and might still be with him in 3 years.

Johnblood27's picture

February 19, 2023 at 10:01 am

Murph, I referenced DAVID Carr the older brother, not DEREK Carr.

David was sacked like 90 times a season for the Texans and became a shell-shocked limp biscuit.

Dumping Bakh AFTER this season is reasonable, I believe that the financials cancel out this season. Getting cheaper talent is always a good idea in this salary cap era, however changes do not always work out in your favor, so the risk is great when moving away from a truly great performer (like Bakh).

I like the Packers chances of success in the watered down NFL with more playoff teams than ever before and the rules changes that make it easier than ever to play QB in this league along with the GBP practice of giving their young developmental QB YEARS to learn how to be successful.

I believe that Jordan Love has a pretty damn good chance of leading this talented GBP squad to a playoff berth IF given the chance. I also believe that MLF may just have more-better coaching years in him with a different QB executing the plays he calls. I am also scared to death of a Joe Barry led defense EVER bringing the GBP to a playoff berth.

but,,, I have no crystal ball and my thoughts are about as useful as any tarot card readers...

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 10:05 am

My thoughts are about the same….lol. That’s what makes a GM’s job so difficult. Many ways to slice it up, and it can be different ways to lead to success.

February 19, 2023 at 11:15 am

Bhak stays in 2023 unless their bone breaker says otherwise. As I mentioned previously, I would get the blue
chip OT who can man the RT or shift if necessary to LT if Bhak takes a hit. Cover your risk and have your guy ready to fill in 2024. In 2024, draft another OT with a high pick. Restock, reload, whatever you call it. I don't want to see any of the guys who filled the right flank returning to this squad.

The_Baloney_Stops_Here's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:52 pm

Trading a few ageing and expensive veterans is hardly gutting the team.

February 19, 2023 at 07:24 am

It means he'll probably leave like Jamal Williams.
Jamal Williams- now a Detroit Lion.
had 500 carries, never fumbled. Abt 2000 yds (4 yrs)
AJ Dillion- 419 carries, abt. 1800 yds (3 yrs) 0 fumbles lost.
He never was a 100 yd rusher from what I saw.
Which is a major achievement in Rushing stats.
The other downer is; Williams & Jones were drafted later.
Hindsight tells you a lot.
Dillion isn't what we imagined he would be.
The packers are still struggling on; 3rd and one to go.
And as both RBs age.
It might be best;
to draft a new RB who will be a game breaker.
I say draft Robinson @15 if you can.

February 19, 2023 at 07:57 am

Would you have kept Jones or Williams? That was effectively the choice.

February 19, 2023 at 08:16 am

Jones. - But I wouldn't have drafted Dillion.
I understood it. But I saw better choices.

mrtundra's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:29 am

From what I've read, the Packers have been watching Dillon, since he was in high school. They wanted him, badly. There's no way they will let him go. I think it was a well spent pick. We, as a team, need to RTFB a lot more often than we did, this past season. If Love is our QB, we may just do that--and from under Center, too! Dillon can wear down defenses, late in the game, as he pounds the ball to move the chains, or get into the end zone. I wouldn't blame Gute if he drafted another RB, for this team, even with a capable back up, in Patrick Taylor, on the sideline. RTFB and GO PACK, GO!!!

Coach Cleve Steamer's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:48 pm

Dillon is not a pounder. He is a plower. His first step is slow and strong but he goes down like anyone if hands are on him in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage. He is very good once there’s a push by the line, that’s when he grinds the yards. He’s steady, catches the ball well, but he’s never going to be spectacular.

The_Baloney_Stops_Here's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:54 pm

His first step is slow because he mostly gets the ball out of shotgun where he often has to slow down at the mesh point. What sense does it make to call plays that involve making a 250 pound guy slow down before getting the ball? His burst looks just fine when he gets the ball under center.

4thand10's picture

February 19, 2023 at 03:01 pm

I actually would preferably like to see another RB drafted. I like the idea of a triple threat at that position.

February 19, 2023 at 08:32 am

I liked Willie Gay for that spot or Logan Wilson. They needed the ILB. Get a veteran RB in free agency. I liked Dillon at BC, but he seems to have regressed.(scheme?). The 2020 set up was changed with Love's selection and giving up a four.

13TimeChamps's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:12 am

After a slow start to the season, he did seem to come on stronger later in the year IIRC.

February 19, 2023 at 11:21 am

A.Jones was on the bench more nursing his injuries and he received More carries. He may be a guy that needs to be fed the ball with the frequency to get his rhythm? He should work on his flexibility and get his footwork back on track. It will be his show-me year. He will need good Film to make more money.

February 19, 2023 at 02:10 pm

The respective figures (on the ground) really are not that different given type and opportunity. The disparity is most striking in the passing game

Jones;
171 carries, 799 rushing yards, 4.7 yards per carry, 52 receptions on 65 targets, 391 receiving yards, 10 total TDs

Dillon;
187 carries, 803 rushing yards, 4.3 yards per carry, 34 receptions on 37 targets, 313 receiving yards, 7 total TDs.

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:13 am

I wasn’t in favor of spending that much SC $’s on Jones.(I was down voted quite a bit for taking that position). Doesn’t mean I didn’t like him. I would’ve kept Williams to a much lower amount. I wouldn’t sign any RB to a large 2nd contract, unless they are a dynamic pass catcher and runner like McCaffrey. It’s the easiest production to replace. Rookies, even 4-7 round draft picks, come in a do well in year one. Also, easy to find Vets at a low price. Past 12 SB winners didn’t pay much for their RB’s.

13TimeChamps's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:47 am

McCaffrey had 5 receiving touchdowns last year, Jones had 6. Over the past two years, Jones has 111 receptions and 11 receiving touchdowns. I don't know if that would be considered dynamic, but I'm guessing not many RB's have exceeded those numbers. I've always felt he hasn't gotten enough credit for his receiving skills out of the backfield.

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 10:02 am

Hey 13, do you really think a healthy Jones is comparable to a healthy McCaffrey? Well catching TD’s are one stat. McCaffrey had 85 rec for 741 yards for 8.7 ypc. Jones 59 rec for 395 for 6.7 ypc. McCaffrey also had 8 rushing TD’s to Jones’s 2. So it was 7 compared to 13 total TD’s.

Jones also fumbled the ball 5 times and a couple at crucial times during the game compared to McCaffrey’s 1 time. Jones is still a very, very good back, but is replaceable for the money you have to pay to keep him.

13TimeChamps's picture

February 19, 2023 at 10:24 am

McCaffrey is probably the best dual threat running back in the league when healthy. My point was only that Jones isn't a "dime a dozen" type running back. I feel he is also one of the better dual threat RB's in the league, as well as pass pro, so I'm not sure he's as replaceable as you might think.

The fumbles are certainly a concern. Hopefully he can get that figured out.

February 19, 2023 at 02:06 pm

I agree, but 10 games in two years raises real questions now.

February 19, 2023 at 11:30 am

The flanker/wingback looks to be HIS best role. I would bring in a guy(s) rd 3-5 to be a solid plugger. The upcoming draft is a RB and TE year for depth. Taylor should be given a chance. He may have lost some of his Memphis speed with his knee surgery?

13TimeChamps's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:05 am

Just once before I die I'd like to see you spell the man's name correctly. It's Dillon, not Dillion. He's been on the team 3 years now.

croatpackfan's picture

February 19, 2023 at 11:40 am

13TC. You can not expect from staleholder, pardon stockholder, to spell players names correctly. He is in deep love with ACR, still spell his name like Arron.

Do not expect much from him.

February 19, 2023 at 01:17 pm

Are you a English teacher?
Writer? editor?
I'll try to hit the right keys for you.

13TimeChamps's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:25 pm

Nope, none of the above. And I normally couldn't care less about spelling errors on sites like this.
But I think it's a bit disrespectful to the players to continually spell their names wrong. Arron? Dillion?
For someone who claims to be such a huge fan, it doesn't seem like much of an effort on your part to spell their names right.

February 19, 2023 at 01:47 pm

The spell checker isn't working.

The_Baloney_Stops_Here's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:57 pm

an*

February 19, 2023 at 03:01 pm

LOL

LLCHESTY's picture

February 19, 2023 at 03:58 pm

I feel like spelling is the least wrong with his comments. Get him to work on structure 1st!

Johnblood27's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:28 am

Stocky, using a #15 pick on ANY RB is counter productive to winning SB Championships.

Learn it
Love it
Live it

next...

February 19, 2023 at 01:11 pm

No - Vince drafted Grabowski .
He also drafted Travis Williams.
Just two of my favorites.

Robinson is the only guy I would draft early.
Still think they go edge.

The_Baloney_Stops_Here's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:58 pm

That was in an era where they threw the ball 10 times a game so naturally running backs were valued a lot higher. Those days are gone. The positional value just isnt there.

February 19, 2023 at 02:42 pm

Ahman Green was a third rounder, albeit not by us. Dalvin Cook was a second rounder as were Derek Henry, Johnathan Taylor and Nick Chubb. I think that’s the 3 best backs in the league last season.

The most recent first round RBs were:
2021: 2 (Najee Harris 24th, Travis Etienne 25th)
2020: 1 (Clyde Edwards-Helaire 32nd)
2019: 1 (Josh Jacobs 24th)
2018: 3 (Saquon Barkley 2nd, Rashaad Penny 27th, Sony Michel 31st)
2017: 2 (Leonard Fournette 4th, Christian McCaffrey 8th

McCaffrey is the one one couldn’t argue with, though his health the last 2 years is something of a counter now, but arguably his value is justified because he’s such a good receiver. Barkley hadn’t exactly been able to elevate his team, though his talent is real. Fournette is good but not close to justifying that pick.

February 19, 2023 at 03:05 pm

Edge or OT.

NickPerry's picture

February 19, 2023 at 07:48 am

I'm on the same side of the fence as Since '61. I'd wait and see what happens with Jones and 2023 before even thinking about an extension. I may be wrong but if Rodgers isn't gone this year (2023 season) and comes back, aren't cap ramifications even worse in 2024?

Whatever the case is I'd like to see Dillon beyond 2023. If Love is the QB then I see we see more of Dillon getting the handoff from Love under center. I think that makes a big difference when it comes to Dillon and his success as a ballcarrier. IMO he's just so much better with the QB under center.

GOD, I hope McGinn is right!

February 19, 2023 at 08:21 am

McGinn is Fake News.
The Packers will keep their word.
Dillion will leave like Lazard.
And drafting a FB is my Choice instead.

February 19, 2023 at 08:44 am

Silverstein is reporting that Gute wanted to move on from Rodgers last season (though whether then or after isn’t clear). Again, not first hand but it does seem like there is some smoke here.

Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: “At one point late last year, Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst told an NFL colleague he was convinced it was time the organization move on from quarterback Aaron Rodgers and see what Jordan Love had in him.”

If accurate, and that has to be a question mark with any such hearsay, my respect for Gute increases dramatically and the role of Murphy is starkly clarified.

PackyCheese500's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:51 am

actually, the article said that MLF made the choice to stick with Rodgers. Maybe MM is less involved than we thought? I don’t know. We do know that MLF is not a very good HC even more, now

February 19, 2023 at 08:58 am

If Gute was ready (and the article makes it clear Silverstein doesn’t know if he meant after the season) then do you really think LaFleur made that decision, either under the Packers structure where Murphy arbitrates in the event that they disagree, or based upon what we have seen of LaFleur’s personality?

Johnblood27's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:40 am

MLF has been cast as the "Good Guy" in the FO's comments concerning AR. This leaves the others to play the business game.

Gutey (in front of puppet master Murphy) can then negotiate from a more neutral position while not angering AR by presenting a "we can do without you" kind of stance.

MLF's annual "we want AR back" love fest is an act. MM's comments are boot-licking in his fear of losing the face of a financially successful NFL football team. MM doesn't seem to understand that GB Packer fans want a football team they can be proud of just as much as they want a football team that wins games. Those scenarios don't always go hand in hand. Winning the right way is the bedrock of GBP football. Remember Lombardi always preaching "No Shortcuts", compete hard but fair? Lambeau was a little more edgy in how he chose to go about winning. Holmgren and McCarthy both were more Lombardi-esque in philosophy than Lambeau or any of the "losing" HC in GBP history.

If only one time in his history, please let McGinn be right this time.

NickPerry's picture

February 19, 2023 at 02:53 pm

"Do any of you NOT REMEMBER how much MLF celebrated the Love pick? Jumping up and down and fist pumping? He wants to mold a QB in his offensive scheme image A LOT and while he THOUGHT he could make due when he was told at his hiring that he had to make nice with AR, after 4 years he clearly has AR tire tracks all over him and his offensive vision is just a barely remembered dream."

I remember it...I also remember the smile of Gutes face. The problem is and ALWAYS has been Mark Murphy. Not just for Matt LaFleur but Gute as well. Now with Gute 6 years into it and LaFleur entering year 5, you have to think both wonder what Murphy has done to their respective careers. Both have been HANDCUFFED, to what degree we may never know. I just know If will always wonder what might have been had they delt Rodgers last year, REAPED the benefits of that trade, and entered 2023 with a shitload more salary cap, more draft capital both last year and this year, and possibly a TE like Noah Fant in this offense.

UUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Guam's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:52 am

Certainly confirms what many here have suspected about the Rodgers signing.

February 19, 2023 at 11:36 am

Love was HIS pick. He has to defend it.

croatpackfan's picture

February 19, 2023 at 11:58 am

Coldword, what do you think, why Mark "we are not idiots" Murphy announce MLF hire, return of ACR in 2021 and that huge contract last year. My guess is because Brian Gutekunst did not agree with all those decisions.

I also believe that 2022 season was presented to Mark "we are not idiots" Murphy with clear analyses about QB playing. MM was football player, so it is not possible to not see all the mistakes made by ACR. I'm not talking about bad throws, I'm talking about decisions he made at snaps he played. Just last game vs Detroit is full of bad decision from allagedly great QB. With this I'm not saying that ACR was not great QB before 2017/2018, he was. But after he got Mike McCarthy fired and retiring TT, he outcome his true personality. And that is the reason why he was not able to go over the postseason bump.

Brian Gutekunst show us, as you already noticed, that he is not all in on the idea to keep ACR by his drafting. His drafts were developmental, not for immediate result.

MHO.

LLCHESTY's picture

February 19, 2023 at 04:02 pm

Mitchy over at Acme won't like hearing that. But he'll probably just sat it's untrue and move on.

mrtundra's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:30 am

On the money, NP.

February 19, 2023 at 08:39 am

This is a good draft for RBs. Get one or two of these guys. A.Jones is always a hit away from the sick bay. 3-4 guys match his profile in the draft and there are guys in the 5'-10/6'-0 and 220 lb range that are ground and pound guys. I would not be satisfied with the RB room as it stands. Bring in competition. Get Better.
OK Hunter Leupke from ND State as the Rhino. Stockholder may be right with him.

croatpackfan's picture

February 19, 2023 at 12:43 pm

"GOD, I hope McGinn is right!"

Nick, please look at this, it is little bit long, but there is analyses abou last game vs Detroit, both on O and D.

It is free and everyone can watch if you want to see whoplayed how in season finale vs Detroit.

PatrickGB's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:24 am

As a second round pick, I find Dillon to be a bit disappointing. Don’t get me wrong, I love the guy as a person. I remain a fan. But, given his draft position, I thought he would be more like a Lacy. Perhaps it’s the lines fault or the play calling but I don’t think that he runs over people like I expected he would given his size. I see too many RB’s drafted later that are just as dynamic. I am all for keeping “The Mayor” but not for the big bucks. Too much hype over the size of his legs led me to believe that he would be a steamroller. And he can do that over DB’s but he seldom gets to that level because he gets stopped at the line. He doesn’t have speed or elusiveness so power is his only option and other teams know that.

mrtundra's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:34 am

IMO, Dillon was not used "effectively" with Rodgers as QB. Rodgers used the shotgun formation on running plays, where Dillon seems to be better with the QB under Center, on run plays. Love, if he is our QB, will most likely be under center when he hands off the ball to Jones or Dillon. Pound the rock! GO PACK, GO!!!

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:06 am

Patrick, as a wannabe GM, no not really, it’s a thankless position to have. But, if I were, I’d never take a RB in the first 3 rounds. As you stated, far too many good RB’s in rounds 4-7.

Johnblood27's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:50 am

I don't think that Dillon was meant to be a second round pick.

When the opportunity came up to move in the first round to grab what Gutey thought was the last blue chip player, Love, he lost his 4th rounder in doing so.

I think the Packers had Dillon and Deguara slotted as 3rd and 4th round picks respectively.

Gutey had to bump them up a round each or risk losing them each with no 4th round selection.

I had Dillon slotted as the Packers 3rd round selection and DeGuara ranked as a 4th round guy, although I will not claim that I had him as the Packer selection in round 4.

Everything has a context and more often than not it is more complicated than you want it to be...

PatrickGB's picture

February 19, 2023 at 11:44 am

Yep. It would be nice to have success in the third round. If he was drafted there I would have to concur. DeGuara as a fourth sounds better too.

February 19, 2023 at 12:02 pm

If Deguara isn't used more effectively this season, he may be the 5 out of 5 whiffs on Third round selections.
Not very Cost effective.

February 19, 2023 at 01:53 pm

If LaFleur doesn’t use Deguara or misuses Dillon, that’s not on Gute.

February 19, 2023 at 11:58 am

I generally trust Tony Pauline's evaluations. 4-1-20: Dillon "showed Limited Speed and Quickness on Film. Can't Improvise or turn the corner. Loses a lot of momentum when he cuts back against the grain. Scheme-limited." Best in a Power-Gap scheme.

His positives:" A battering ram who moves the pile on the Inside. Runs through tackles. A Throwback runner.
He would have been a very high pick 15 Years Ago. The One-dimensionality of HIS Game pushes Dillon into the third day of the draft."

Best to get one or two more RBs in April.

February 19, 2023 at 01:59 pm

Pauline had him as a day 3 pick due to lack of speed. Being honest, do you really think Pauline, whom I also respect, has been right? That Dillon is too slow? I don’t to be honest.

I do think it’s reasonable to say that he’s no scat back, but LaFleur wanted a power back and said so. Then got one and doesn’t use him like one would expect one to be used to best advantage.

Bitternotsour's picture

February 19, 2023 at 02:13 pm

first off, you may note that Pauline is not getting paid by anyone who actually picks football players for a living. Dillon catches the ball well. not sure how Pauline's scouting report can be used to argue with the selection. go back to Dillon destroying the titans.

my guess is he had a knock for a good portion of last year.

also, losing #12 will allow for Dillon to be used more effectively, with #10 under center, rather than in the shotgun. also, running an occasional read-option will make Dillon all the more effective.

February 19, 2023 at 03:49 pm

This is a review Prior to his being drafted. He was not used as a receiver much at all for BC. There was little film on his skills in the passing game. I followed him since his freshman year and did not have an issue over his selection. He never would have made it past the upper third round. He is not being used optimally in the overall scheme. He was the featured guy with a healthy O line vs Tenn.

February 19, 2023 at 03:24 pm

I believe Dillon had 4.5 speed coming out of BC, but a jump cut at best or plant and cut with straight line power is his forte'. This is the conundrum. He has now proved he can catch the ball on the run and they should design more plays to use his open field ability to 1:1 a LB or devastate a CB. They thought he would be the blaster on inside zone, but he stumbled over his own two feet a couple of times with wide open spaces before him this past season. The Pauline analysis is correct reviewing his Game. He has trouble playing the cut-back guy, or changing direction. Power football needs power guys at the guard spots. They have one of them in Jenkins. They do not run I-Formation enough for him with Deguara as lead dog. The Play Design is on LaFleur. Even with Love at the helm, this squad will never be a run first team. You get the dinosaurs excited pounding it, but I'm on the side supporting Mr. HOF, Don Coryell.

HarryHodag's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:27 am

My deep suspicion is the Packers will look for a replacement back for Dillon via the draft this year.
As I've said before I like Aaron Jones as a player and a citizen. But "The Turk" of fiscal responsibility will hit the Packers if they keep kicking things down the road if it hasn't already.

Jones' injury past has me concerned as he gets older.

The team could have cut Jones and they would have been out about $9.5 mill but saved $10 mill. Now they will be hanging with him(and his dead cap) for at least one more year. I understand the merits of his many talents to the team but this is the one position where you can find a good running back on the cheap. Robinson from Texas has been compared to Barkley from the Giants by scouts. With Jones gone and Robinson in you would have a potential great back paired with Dillon, to the point you could keep Dillon next year. Of course the draft is a crap shoot and who knows what will happen. But there are other backs almost as good this year. My fear is Gute thinks this team can win the Super Bowl. Can it? I don't think so. Tearing it down guarantees another losing season, but long term it would be back with an infusion of talent.

I know this bucks the trend of the Jones re-signing but there are times you need to consider it all.

PackyCheese500's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:50 am

I think they’ll be extending Dillon and cutting Jones in 2024, personally. He will be 29.

MainePackFan's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:18 am

"The team could have cut Jones and they would have been out about $9.5 mill but saved $10 mill"

Harry, it's a moot point, but I'm curious to know where you saw this ?
Spotrac has it listed as a $19.6M dead cap hit if they had cut him.

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:21 am

You had me till you wanted to draft Robinson. So, what has Barkley done for NYG regarding success in playoffs? No much. Production from RB’s can be had much lower in the draft. Use your high draft pick on a great OL and that will make any RB better.

PackyCheese500's picture

February 19, 2023 at 08:49 am

Personally, I will say that I wanted the FO to cut Jones for cap reasons, and because we couldn’t afford to restructure more dollars into the future. However, I will be the first to o admit that what Jones did in taking a pay cut (along with a partial restructure) was a selfless and noble act. We need more team players like Jones who are willing to sacrifice for the team. Glad to have him back.

murf7777's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:25 am

Come on’ man…..Jones didn’t have a choice. The Packers were going to cut him if he didn’t. Do you really think he was going to get a better contract elsewhere? His Agent was savvy in getting the Packers to do what they did. I Love Jones as a person, he’s a darn good back, but you can get that production at a far lessor price tag. RB’s are a devalued position in today’s NFL. McCaffrey is an exception, but that’s because mainly he’s a pass catcher. Do you think Dallas regrets signing Zeke to the big second contract?

February 19, 2023 at 12:15 pm

This portion of the deal was contained in the language of his first extension. He would have needed an ALL PRO year to justify any more of a payout. Remember, most of the NFL front office people would be working as used car dealers if they didn't get the inside track to a football profession.

tincada's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:54 pm

We need more team players like Jones . You mean like AR. NOT. LMAO dreamer.

PackyCheese500's picture

February 19, 2023 at 04:25 pm

If you haven't noticed, I think the Packers should trade Rodgers, ideally to the Jets

LeotisHarris's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:08 am

There's much to be said for keeping your head and your feet in the same place. It's a challenge for me to be in the moment even when I accept we're all day-to-day. What does Aaron Jones pay cut that wasn't a pay cut mean for anyone?

NDP's picture

February 19, 2023 at 09:11 am

As it concerns the fate of AJ Dillon, I want to celebrate that Aaron Jones and Dillon will be together for one more year. Organizations need to look ahead, but staying focused on the upcoming season is also beneficial. I'm unsure how many questions about this season or the next one can be answered until Aaron Rodgers leaves the darkness. I credit the organization for restructuring the contract of Aaron Jones while plans about how to move forward with Aaron Rodgers and other players remain significant concerns.

Swisch's picture

February 19, 2023 at 10:47 am

It's astounding how much different is the future of the Packers if Love is the quarterback this upcoming season instead of Rodgers.
At least that's my impression, and it seems worthy of good discussion.
As an example, the question of quarterback would seem to make a huge difference as to how Dillon is used next season, and would seem to be a huge factor in the decision as to whether to keep Dillon thereafter.
I think most of us here at CHTV are wondering how Dillon would do with Love at QB, in an offense that presumably would be more determined by our head coach, Matt LaFleur, without the influence/interference of Rodgers.
***
If such considerations are on point, it's staggering how much power the front office has given to Rodgers to leave us twisting in the wind as to whether he wants to stay with the Packers or not.
It's embarrassing to the Packers as a franchise to cede its dignity to the arrogant and domineering and aloof Rodgers -- and extremely trying as a fan to watch it play out ever so slowly and painfully.
***
Another topic of discussion would be how this upcoming draft for the Packers would change depending on whether it's Rodgers and Love at QB.
I think Aaron Jones is a great keep for the Packers regardless of the QB; but the draft, as well as decisions on our veterans and those from other teams, may be quite a different story depending on the QB.

BirdDogUni's picture

February 19, 2023 at 10:59 am

When AR12 comes out of the darkness to be briefed on these so-called stories, it will just piss him off. Poor taste and exactly the wrong thing to do. All the team had to do was tell Aaron they want to go younger. He set it up for them on a tee, like tee ball, and they still can't do the right thing.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like the Packers are going to screw this up no matter what they do.

BruceC1960's picture

February 19, 2023 at 11:09 am

Seems like career suicide if these guys leaked insider info that weakens trade process.

February 19, 2023 at 01:27 pm

There is a divide in the Force.

February 19, 2023 at 04:00 pm

Well, the Bartender @ The Stadium View Bar retired, so his inside guy may be feeding Wolf and he is playing the psy-ops game. He was in Air Force Intelligence, so he claims.

tincada's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:29 pm

AR doesn't give a damn. It's all about him.

beerandbrats's picture

February 19, 2023 at 03:23 pm

Report: Packers are “disgusted with” Aaron Rodgers, they’re “done with him”

Good comments BDU because this could get ugly pretty fast! Write it up CHTV. Let's have that discussion!

coolhand's picture

February 20, 2023 at 11:48 am

I was on facebook today and saw this story and also one that said ACR and the Packers are happy and will be together again in 2023. So much click bait stuff online these days.

jont's picture

February 19, 2023 at 04:03 pm

"Anyone else feel these stories being leaked by McGinn and Silverstein are in bad form?'

I guess I do, though we're all very usd to this sort of thing. I do wonder about one thing: several here criticize Rodgers for playing the media, and I wonder if they think the FO is equally wrong to do the same thing.

Leatherhead's picture

February 20, 2023 at 01:54 am

BDU.,…if I’m correct, he’s heard this before he went dark.

Perfection. The Packers use McGinn to send a message to every body that the Packers are disgusted and moving on. Rodgers can ponder that in the dark.

He has no cards left. He can retire, or he can play for the team we trade him to. It’s better for the Packers if he doesn’t retire, so they’ll try to work out a deal with a team he likes.

It’s over. He is done in Green Bay. I thought there’d be a lot of discussion on that here.

tincada's picture

February 19, 2023 at 01:27 pm

They both get haircuts.

4thand10's picture

February 19, 2023 at 02:57 pm

Fall of 2023 Dillion will be entering his 4th season. They don’t have do anything yet except provide camp competition. At least this coming FB season. and the following year they can exercise the 5th yr option.