The Packers Have Enough Cap Space To Keep Their Own If They Delay Extensions

If the Packers were to extend Clark (or Bulaga and others) right now, as has been speculated about here on CHTV and elsewhere, and gave Clark a signing bonus of let us say $20 million over five years, his signing bonus proration would be $4 million per season.  The problem is that $4 million would be assigned to the cap for 2019 and another $4 million for the 2020 season and thereafter.  That is a total of $8 million less that would be available as salary cap space next March for the start of free agency.  If the Packers wait until December 29th to extend Clark, there would only be one $4 million proration that would affect the cap space for 2020.  The same thing applies to Martinez.

Perhaps readers will recall the Packers extended Davante Adams and Corey Linsley in December of 2017 just before the deadline so the team could have some of the signing bonus count in the 2017 season and get lower prorations per year.  Those made sense because Adam's deal added four years and Linsley's deal just three years, but the signing bonus can be prorated for up to five years.  I am advocating for the Packers doing the opposite by waiting until after the deadline so no prorations for Clark or Martinez fall into the 2019 season salary cap.  That maximizes salary cap space next March.

Per Overthecap, the Packers have $9.34 million in cap space for 2019 and $26.23 million projected for 2020, a total of $35.575 million total when free agency starts up in March of 2020.  If that sounds pretty good, it is not.  It should turn out to be about 25th in the NFL.

Let us take a look at what retaining current players looks like.  I am going to assume that the Packers will release Jimmy Graham in 2020 because I need the cap space and I think it is probably the correct move.  Releasing Graham increases the available salary cap space pot to $43.575 million.

Player

cap #

AAV Comment
Bulaga $8M $10.5M Pay as you go, please. Can't rely on the draft
Martinez $7M $10.5M At that price, I'd rather pay Schobert.
Tramon $6.5M $7.25M Old, 2nd best CB. Sullivan, Brown, Hollman?
Vitale $1.0M $1.0M Vitale wants another yr to show what he can do.
Patrick $1.4M $1.4M RFA tender is too much.  Reach a 1 yr. deal.
Campbell $1.0M $1.0M Inj. again - he'll want to wait to sign long-term.
Lewis $2.5M $2.5M Coach wants a blocking TE. Lewis or the like.
Crosby $3.0M $4.0M Gotta have a kicker.  Could save $ on a rookie.
Fackrell $2.5M $3.0M Hard to figure his value/market as 3rd/4th OLB.
'20 draft  $2.3M N/A Assumes 29th pick per OTC est. $6.9M pool
Misc Adj $1.98M N/A 38 + 9 players above. Need 4 more @ $495K
Totals $37.18M 42.15M No Allison/Grant/Goodson/Pankey/Redmond*
Net:  $6.395M   Probably not enough: done under Rule of 51.

* Pankey is an RFA.  Redmond is listed as an ERFA by Sportrac, but he looks like at least an RFA to me since he was on IR for the entire 2016 season at full pay.  I cannot tell if he was on the IR at full pay in 2017 and 2018 long enough to achieve additional accrued seasons, enough indeed to make him an unrestricted free agent.  I think he will be an RFA in 2020.  Allison and Grant would be UFAs in 2020.  Until either player shows something on the field, they can return for their respective minimums, if they return at all.  Ditto for Pankey, who certainly will not be tendered.

While $6.395 million might seem like a figure the Packers could live with, this is calculated under the Rule of 51.  The Packers will have a 52nd and a 53rd player and 10 players on the practice squad, reducing that $6.395 million to about $4 million.  The Packers also could have players go on IR during training camp.  Green Bay is still paying Spriggs, Bolton and Malcom Johnson while they endlessly sit on the IR list.  I gather that none of them can pass a phycical so Green Bay can release them and save some cap money.

Signing Clark and putting a $4 million proration into 2019 would decrease the salary cap space available for 2020 by $8 million.  Multiple players would have to be released or not re-signed.  Extending Clark after December 29th would probably mean increasing his cap number from the scheduled $7.69 million by several million, which would eliminate all or most of the cushion noted above.

While this scenario envisions the release of Graham, it does retains Lane Taylor ($4.55M cap savings), and does not consider extending Bakhtiari, Linsley, restructuring any contracts, or unduly playing games with the first-year cap hits.  $5.925 million for a backup offensive guard like Taylor seems steep, but also comforting.  I suppose if Gutekunst planned to use a 3rd or a 4th round pick on a guard and plans on keeping Patrick, perhaps releasing or trading Lane Taylor makes sense.  I confess to not having a good handle on Fackrell's market value, and I could be off significantly on the others.

Whether to retain these players is not a decision made in a vacuum.  GM Brian Gutekunst will certainly consider other free agents who might be available and their price, the strengths of the upcoming draft and team needs.  Let us take a look at team needs, assuming that the less expensive players listed above are retained.

POS Status Comment
S Okay Starters locked up. Sullivan, Redmond, Campbell, Greene OK
OLB Okay Starters locked up. Could use depth.  Gary?  Fackrell is UFA who should be paid reasonably.
RB Okay Starters locked up but in contract years. Dexter? Deep draft. Take 1 as talent warrants, even up to Rd 2
FB Okay Just re-sign Vitale.
TE Okay Jace, Tonyan can be move TEs.  Sign a blocker/Lewis.  Can Baylis block?
IOL Want- Starters set.  Patrick is an RFA.  If Taylor is released, becomes Need Minus and should use 3rd/4th.
QB Want Every fanbase wants a better backup.  GB's is no exception.  Deep draft for QBs?
DL Want+ Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Keke all back. Love someone better than Lowry.
CB Want+ King is in contract yr.  Twill is UFA.  I do like Sullivan who played slot CB in preseason and played some safety,  I have big hopes for Hollman.  Brown?  Oh, and, um, Jackson.
ILB Need+ If no FA is signed, use a high pick.  If Blake/Schobert signed, still use 3rd to 5th Rd pick anyway.
OT Need+ Even a 1st rd pick probably is a downgrade.  No Bulaga, use 1 or 2.  Light is ok.
WR Need+ Adams, then perhaps #3 WRs in Lazard and MVS, and some #4s in Kumerow and Allison.
ST Need+ Need a new coordinator.  I would have put in mutliple asterisks had they fit in the space alotted.

The draft should always be about talent instead of needs, at least to the extent the General Manager can arrange it.  Having desperate needs hamstrings the GM and makes taking the best player available a joke.  I do note that re-signing Bulaga and Tramon Williams makes the team older, and Bulaga has an injury history.

I would re-sign Tramon Williams for one year at $7M but will some other GM give him two years and/or more money, especially guaranteed money?  Personally, I really like Sullivan and Hollman, and while I have been disappointed by Tony Brown, he seems to be fine as CB #4 or #5.  2020 will be a contract year for Kevin King.  I would never ignore a talented CB that fell in the first round, though.

Letting Bulaga walk means that Gutekunst would have to use a first or a second round draft pick on a tackle.  Even a first round tackle makes me nervous and I do not like the idea of Turner at tackle if the rookie busts.  Plus moving Turner merely opens up a hole at guard.  Light had one good and one bad outing so far.  He is acceptable as a backup.

Keeping OG Lane Taylor and Patrick as the backup center lessens the need to take an interior offensive lineman in the draft on day two or three.  Green Bay should be looking for a guard in rounds three to five.

Re-signing Martinez or signing someone else in free agency for similiar money means there is no need to draft an ILB in round one or two.  However, the Morrisons and Goodsons of the NFL are not good enough.  Perhaps Pettine likes prefers to use a safety as a hybrid and is fine with Campbell and/or Greene there.  Using a fourth round pick or so on an ILB seems appropriate unless the likes the hybrid route or wants to gamble that Burks can play.

Crosby is having a strong year, having made all of his point after attempts and 92.9% of his field goal attempts.  His lack of leg strength has been pronounced on kickoffs.  Crosby's strong year will probably mean he can command another big contract.  The safe decision would be to re-sign him.

So, the Packers should maximize cap space by waiting to extend any players until after December 29.  The Packers have UFAs who are starters in Bulaga, Tramon Williams, Crosby, and Martinez, each of whom has no obvious internal replacement, but their play on the field will have to be replaced somehow.  It can be done by retaining the player, free agency or the draft.  General Manager Gutekunst's decisions will be interesting and important.

Packers2019's picture

November 22, 2019 at 09:38 pm

Good article and breakdown.

Here is my take:

Bulaga- I agree. We have to keep him at this point. If you structure the contract for 3 years but allow for release after 1 or 2 without a huge cap hit, I say go for it.

Martinez- I just can't spend more than 7M on him. And even that is high IMO but we may have to for now. Again, if you structure a friendly cap contract then maybe it would not be all that bad. Draft a MLB in the 1st or 2nd round not the 4th or 5th. We have tried that and it has not worked well.

Tramon- All depends on how the young CB's perform the rest of the year. I would pay Tramon 7M for 1 year though. Good leader and still plays very solid for 36 years old.

Crosby- I think you have to sign him. Sign him for 3 years to a friendly deal then bring in competition again. Maybe you find a diamond kicker out of college and then can release Crosby after 1 more year.

Fackrell- I think he gets paid more than 3M per year. I think it may be 5M or 6M. Let him walk if it is that much. I do not think we will be able to afford him.

Talyor- Let him walk. We save 4.5M next year I believe. Too much for a back up.

Graham- We save 8M if we release him. He is not worth 12M per year.

We can talk about the draft later when we actually know what players are coming out and how well certain positions perform the rest of the season.

Coldworld's picture

November 23, 2019 at 08:09 am

The Martinez question for me is the most complicated. As I see it, the central ILB/hybrid area is the one part of the D that is not yet fully overhauled in terms of both personnel and makeup. When Greene was playing, this area looked effective. Since then it has not.

Assuming Greene is, for a moment, an answer, it is clear that he has hadno depth behind him. Possibly Campbell can show that he can fill that role, but that is not yet determined. Clearly the slower ILBs do not in this scheme. Is Burks just not fully ready? Or is he simply not what was hoped?

Whatever the answers, I don’t think Pettine is able to do what he wants in this area. That means two things. Firstly it will likely be a focus in the off season. Secondly, it is really hard to see if Martinez is a weak link or being asked to play a role that leads us to think so.

Personally, I think it’s a bit of both: Martinez is not all pro, but I think he is better than what he is forced to do makes him seen. Whether he stays depends on the overall fix required in my view, and how he fits with that. Summers’ development is a factor, but I suspect he requires more time.

Guam's picture

November 23, 2019 at 10:54 am

The other part of the Martinez puzzle will be the price to resign him. I am in accord with TGR's assessment that Martinez in the $7-8 million range would be appropriate. If the market rises above that price, that might lead the Packers to look elsewhere for solutions. TGR mentioned Schobert and while I doubt Cleveland would let him go, he would be an asset the Packers might be willing to pay significantly more for.

Martinez is the interesting question for the Packers this year.

Bearmeat's picture

November 23, 2019 at 12:14 pm

The ILB market was (stupidly) reset with the idiotic deal the Jests signed Mosley to. Martinez makes a lot of tackles, but he's no playmaker. He'll get more than 8 million AAV, and he's not worth that. Draft a new one. That said, the DTs are not helping him out, nor is Pettine (IMO stupidly) refusing to play a traditional 3 man front with two real ILBs.

ImaPayne's picture

November 24, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Bulaga is done. Has been done. If the vikes in one off season can completely revamp their O line we can dump Bulaga and draft his replacement and his backup.
Martinez is too slow. He just cant cover and needs to go. Cut our loses and get a couple or top notch linebackers and a possible run stuffer,

canadapacker's picture

November 22, 2019 at 10:59 pm

Martinez - definite NO - almost not at any price - but save the money -
Tramon - no unless it is really cheap - good luck buddy get what you can get but much too slow now and will be no fast next year
Bulaga - yes - we tend to dump too many linemen too early TT's history - sometimes good but not always
Fackrell - pay him as he is a multi-functional player who can come up with big plays -
Taylor - unless it is cheap he may have to walk
Graham - should have been gone his year and we should have picked up a vet that is faster - big mistake not paying Cook
Crosby - need to be looking but not easy and if we can get a kickoff specialist
Campbell - yes
Lewis - bye bye
Patrick - at a reasonable price - never can have too many Olines and it is not always that you get a Jenkins in the draft

sonomaca's picture

November 23, 2019 at 08:35 am

Kickers are underrated: Chicago and Minnesota vs. Detroit and Green Bay. Many big games come down to missed/made field goals. Can’t Scott learn to kick it into the end-zone?

Agree on Bulaga. You simply do not let good tackles walk, especially with an aging QB. That’s rule #1.

If you’re keeping Fackrell, it’s because Gary is not looking like a winner. Don’t know what offers they had, but trading out of # 12 may have been a good idea.

Martinez isn’t the RAS guy Gute prefers. He’s likely gone.

Would love to keep cagey vet Traman. He’s definitely helping young corners develop, and playing well himself.

With Madison situation, may have to keep Taylor.

Linsley might be your surprise cut.

canadapacker's picture

November 23, 2019 at 02:24 pm

Yes Madison might effect Taylor. Fackrell seems to be a come of the bench guy in certain games or certain times of a game and then he makes a play or two. How much do you pay that type of guy? Gary and Burks both maybe have potential but so far they lack a little bit with coverage of backs out of the backfield and tight ends when they block and leak out. That is one of Martinez's big problems. We also need our middle linebacker to jump into the gap and make the big stops at times and Martinez just never seems to be there until 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. While I do not see anybody on the roster being the big guy in the middle - ie the Kuechly/Wagner / KJ Wright - type of guy . That is what we eventually need to find - sometimes it comes in the later rounds Wright was in round 4. I dont might Tramon but think that you cannot occupy a roster spot for too long and he has taken some really dumb penalties this season.

Lphill's picture

November 22, 2019 at 11:51 pm

I would say Graham, Lewis , T Williams and Martinez are not returning , this alone helps the cap for 2020 , but I have a feeling Gute will try and retain Martinez for more than he’s worth.

ShooterMcGee's picture

November 23, 2019 at 05:41 am

I would add Taylor to the list then resign him if needed at cheaper price.

Minniman's picture

November 23, 2019 at 01:44 am

Thanks James, some really good points re retention.

At this stage I totally agree that Bulaga should be retained - as you pointed out, he's playing at a solid level and it reduces the pressure on the Packers at the next draft for a highly coveted position.

As posted against a post earlier in the week it would be good to see Rashan Gary get more snaps as the season progresses - I think that this will dictate the priority of Kyler Fackrell's retention as well as repositioning the need factor from the Packers on what is also a highly coveted position.

ALLGASNOBRAKES's picture

November 23, 2019 at 02:20 am

Excellent point on Gray and Fackrell Minniman. Personally, I'd like to see more Gary everywhere on the D-Line and OLB. GET the kid some snaps.

ShooterMcGee's picture

November 23, 2019 at 04:46 am

Gary needs to transform his athleticism into production. I checked his combine stats and he is bigger and much faster than Nick Bosa who has been a monster on the field. Imagine our defense if he can.

PeteK's picture

November 23, 2019 at 08:06 am

If he was better he would see the field more. However, right now he needs work and Fackrell makes plays.

ALLGASNOBRAKES's picture

November 23, 2019 at 11:14 am

He's learning a completely new position Pete which I'm giving him a pass on. I'd also imagine with the TOP ranked OLB duo in the NFL in terms of Sacks, Hurries, and QB hits, Pettine prefers to keep those guys on the field. I'm obviously guessing here but I still have HIGH hopes for Gary. Just 10 games into this Pete.

ALLGASNOBRAKES's picture

November 23, 2019 at 02:13 am

Thanks, TGR...Great article as usual. I've been wondering what Gute might do with Bulaga all season, ESPECIALLY with the way he's been kicking ass almost every snap this year. If Thompson was still GM we already know exactly what would happen with BB. I think come late December to early March or so we'll find out exactly how Gute feels about aging O-Linemen. Bulaga wouldn't take a cut in pay for this year which makes me wonder if he'll give any hometown discount for next year and/or beyond. With the biggest needs at WR (YES, its a NEED) ILB, and IMO to a lesser degree D-line, my hope is we don't have to use a high pick on the O-Line again.

With Madisons ACL injury this week and the wasted 2nd rounder plus the extra draft pick we gave for the right to take Jason "the revolving door" Spriggs, I'd hate to see another high pick go to the O-Line.

PeteK's picture

November 23, 2019 at 08:10 am

Wasn't it Thompson who drafted our Ts .

ALLGASNOBRAKES's picture

November 23, 2019 at 01:48 pm

I've said for years Thompsons career can be summed up in 2 parts. From 2005 to about 2010 or 2011 Thompson made some really excellent picks throughout each draft, both early and late rounders. From 2012 to 2017 most of his drafts were dreadful. That's EXACTLY why the cupboards were pretty bare when Gute took over.

Ted still had some excellent picks after 2011 or so but he also had some drafts that were busts from top to bottom. Just too many misses in early rounds those last 5 or 6 years for me.

ShooterMcGee's picture

November 23, 2019 at 05:04 am

The upcoming draft is very deep at WR. It's my guess that Gutey changes his strategy and trades down acquiring more mid round picks. Then he can take more shots at filling some of our greatest needs without breaking the bank in free agency. Rookie contracts are the most team friendly and we need to get younger.

November 23, 2019 at 09:34 am

I think it is very important to get another big-time WR on the roster. A bunch of the top WRs are juniors. I assume in this era they all know it is time to declare for the draft if they are round one or two material. Things also change at the combine.

I've read speculation that one of the top WRs (who perhaps would ordinarily go in the late teens) might be there in the late twenties. It is too early to know whether GB should pounce on a top talent that slid to the late first due to supply or trade back. I am certainly open to trading back.

While I have suggested that paying or not paying some of our current players should be a function of freeing the GM's hands when it comes to drafting the best players rather than the most needed positions, I really want a WR high due to the need I perceive.

November 23, 2019 at 03:40 pm

I say Gute needs to trade up. Not down. There are No good Wrs in rd 1 he could get, before 15. Take Wilson Dt. Rd 1. Alternate: Tyler Johnson of Minn. is the best Wr who plays the slot. If he runs a good 40. He should be the Packers Wr pick. The ILBs who will go 2nd and third rds. are tackling machines. Malik Harrrison and Evan Weaver

flackcatcher's picture

November 23, 2019 at 12:06 pm

NFL rule changes have changed the value of positions. In the 'new' NFL QB WR DB OL rule. As we first saw with Dom Capers back in 2008 with Woodson and with Green Bay and Atlanta in 2014 season, DB are the coin of the realm. Teams are taking more risks in drafting/signing both WR DB because of need. Not an accident that ILB and FB are fading away in some teams systems. NFL rules are dictating that.

4thand1's picture

November 23, 2019 at 05:58 am

The numbers game in the cap era, fun. I guess if it were me deciding, I'd keep my best players whenever possible no matter what position. Running backs I wouldn't mess with , the chemistry here is great. The draft is shaping up as OL, ILB, DL, BPA...........what the hell do I know, lol.

PeteK's picture

November 23, 2019 at 08:17 am

I agree with Packer 2019, 3 yrs with low guarantee for Bulaga. A similar contract( avg for MLB) for Martinez. Martinez is young and durable , Bulaga Is not. Lets look at Bulaga's career not just this year.

Guam's picture

November 23, 2019 at 08:33 am

Great information as usual TGR. Thank you for your thoughtful research.

I would not keep Taylor or Twill. Taylor at $5.9 million is way too much for a reserve. He is a decent player and will find employment elsewhere in the league but is much too expensive to keep as a reserve and he is not getting his job back from Jenkins. Twill will be 37 next year. While still a remarkably competitive player at age 36, he has been a step slow on some coverages this year and that problem will only get worse next year. Time to let a younger player (Sullivan, Holman, Jackson) have a shot.

Releasing Twill (along with the others you recommended) pretty much resolves the Packer's cap issues for 2020. And would I love to see Schobert in a Packer's uniform!

November 23, 2019 at 09:42 am

I really like Sullivan. Hollman supposedly can play man coverage, but apparently can't get on the field during the regular season. I thought Tony Brown would step up and be good this year, but that hasn't happened, so hedging my bets by considering re-signing Twill.

I like the depth players at CB better than at any of the other positions except TE. I like the adage that a team can't have too many CBs, this is one of the positions I might let the vet walk.

Guam's picture

November 23, 2019 at 10:44 am

Tony Brown has been a huge disappointment for me this year. I thought he was surprisingly good for a rookie last year and he has been invisible this year. I wonder if he is in Pettine's doghouse because he has difficulties controlling his emotions and makes stupid penalties from time to time?

flackcatcher's picture

November 23, 2019 at 12:14 pm

Could see Jackson at the SS/Hybrid next year if the Packers decide to keep him. Big strong guy, hard to get those guys so teams want to give them every chance to work out. But that's for next year... (Tony Brown, have never seen a player in a position of need play himself out of major snaps faster. Pettine must be really PO at him..)

PeteK's picture

November 23, 2019 at 01:50 pm

Martinez and Schobert are the same player, look at their stats .

November 23, 2019 at 10:10 am

I am going to watch the depth guys closely if and when they get a chance to play. Sullivan, Brown and Hollman at CB, Gary and Fackrell at OLB/DL, Keke at DL, Tonyan and Sternberger at TE, Grant and Lazard at WR, and Light at OT. These are the players who I think might get on the field for a few snaps without there being a major injury: otherwise, I'd add a couple more names to the list.

Several people I asked about Fackrell's value suggested that Fackrell would garner a bigger contract than the $3M/year I suggested. I noted his 6 QB hits in 237 snaps, which extrapolates to a very healthy 20 QB hits over 800 snaps. Tackles and TFL seem low at one every 21.5 and 1 every 118 snaps. Usage obviously has to be considered.
Preston Smith has a tackle every 13.4 snaps and a TFL every 61. ZaDarius comes in at one tackle/15 snaps and a TFL every 67 snaps. Fackrell always seems to surprise me: he had 12 TFL in 2018 when he was more full time. 12 TFL is more than Z or P Smith have ever had.

Oh well. I used $3M but perhaps he gets more. Bummer if he does because a team needs at least 3 and really 4 OLBs who can actually play.

Guam's picture

November 23, 2019 at 10:41 am

The one concern with keeping Fackrell is stunting Gary's development. The Smith's are going to play a great many of the snaps at OLB leaving limited snaps for OLB3 and OLB4. Gary needs playing time if he is going to develop at OLB so I believe that makes Fackrell a likely cut. I don't like the reduced depth at OLB, but I suspect that is a move the Packers will make if only to validate their high draft pick.

flackcatcher's picture

November 23, 2019 at 12:32 pm

You know TGR, that's a really good question about OLB. We are seeing more teams go for the big tweener at OLB. Packers were among the first starting in 2011 and the Smiths are only the latest in this defense. If anything, Pettine has pushed this to the next level with the drafting of Gray. Packers are already playing what amounts to 2-3-6 on close to 50% of defensive snaps and sliding the Smiths into the gaps just before the ball snap. I could see the Packers getting bigger in the DL while using only two in line. In that, keeping Fackrell makes sense if your scheme pushes LOS play on your OLB as Pettine's does.

November 23, 2019 at 10:12 am

I say sign them all if they win the Super-Bowl. But only if they win the Super-Bowl. Kenny Clark Should be signed ASAP. I feel he could do a Suh. Show me the money instead of worrying about Loyalty. Because there is No home discount in the NFL, if your a really good player. And Clark is good. Gute's success has been Free Agency. Free Agency has changed the Packers for the better. Good Football players are always in demand. We no longer need to believe in the draft. It's just a stage now for cap purposes. Expecting to fill shoes like Clark; just isn't going to happen.

flackcatcher's picture

November 23, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Strong post James. (Cap level TOO high...:-)

Bearmeat's picture

November 23, 2019 at 12:17 pm

I would cut Graham, Taylor. Let Martinez and Fackrell walk. Resign Bulaga for 1-2 years if possible, but if he wants more than 9mil AAV, draft an OT in round 1. Resign Tramon. Draft OT or WR (or QB?) in round 1.

GB FO has made all the right moves except balking at Rizzi's salary demands. And it's cost them. Mennenga sucks.

ImaPayne's picture

November 24, 2019 at 11:04 pm

Fackrell, Martinez, should be replaced with young quick playmakers. Our linebackers are not very good in coverage.
Clark is ok pay the man but not too much. Belaga is done. Just cant stay healthy anymore, put him to pasture.

Thankfully the run game is solid, the receiving could be better but without protection for Rodgers doesnt matter much who is out there, they cant get the ball to them.

Get rid of Grahm is best years were years ago he is not the answer. If we had a decent O line we could use the te position for what it should be not a blocking position.