So far, so good from Packers camp

The Packers have looked pretty much as advertised through the opening of camp.

Wanted to put down some thoughts about what I've seen through the first four days of Packers training camp and then remembered that I help run a blog about the team where I can post them for others to read.

So here you go.

Let's start with the fact that a lot of what was talked about surrounding this team all offseason has started to play out pretty much as expected. Allan Lazard is getting a lot of targets. The secondary is sticky as hell. There's a good, healthy mix of talent, both known and unknown, among the wide receiver group. The offensive line has plenty of question marks when it comes to who's going to play where and we're starting to get some answers. (Seeing Bakhtiari out with the rehab group for the first time was a great development.)

Most of this is going as expected.

What HAS surprised me is the physicality of the secondary along with just how "ready" for the moment Romeo Doubs appears to be.

With the secondary, it's obviously early and they're not even allowed to really even thud on receivers yet, but they have been an attacking bunch when it comes to the football, and if a wide receiver is in the way, so be it. On one play in particular a few days ago, Darnell Savage broke on a quick slant from Aaron Rodgers to Doubs and absolutely rocked the rookie. It was a good, clean play. Nothing malicious about it, Savage has every right to the football. But it drew audible gasps in that it was so sudden and ended up being so violent, especially for a non-padded practice in shorts, that it was impossible not to worry a bit for the rookie. (Doubs would later call it an early "welcome to the NFL" moment.)

There have been a handful of other instances like this throughout the start of camp where defensive backs "know their rights" so to speak. They have as much of a right to the ball as the receiver, they're going to go get it and if you get in the way, you're going to pay the price. That's the kind of mentality I want from my defense.

As for Doubs, you've all seen the Tweets, headlines, and interview clips. The kid has hit the ground running. I can't tell you anything other than everything you've read and heard is legit. Doubs seems absolutely ready for the moment. He's gotten a good amount of run with the first team these first few days of camp and has not looked out of place for a moment. Oh sure, there's the odd time when Aaron Rodgers may have to give him an adjustment coming out of the huddle on where to lineup, but that's no different than we've seen with countless receivers who've come through Green Bay over the last decade. And he's been consistent, regardless of whether its Rodgers or Jordan Love throwing him the ball. That bodes well for the young man.

Yes, its early, and the league is littered with guys who looked great in shorts in the summer and then disappeared when the pads came on. My guess is, that won't be an issue for Doubs.

Overall, if you're a Packers fan, camp has started pretty much how you'd want it to. The offense still looks like the Packers offense, just with some different names on some of the jerseys. The defense is itching to hit people and is staking their territory out and refusing to back down from a future Hall of Fame quarterback. Hell, we even saw a number of solid punts the other day. (Its going to take me a bit to talk too much about special teams. As Legolas said, "I have not the heart to tell you. For me the grief is still too near..")

Now, what is basically an extension of the offseason is over. The shoulder pads go on Monday morning. Full pads appear on Tuesday. We'll start to see some actual football.

But so far, so good.

July 31, 2022 at 10:25 am

"So far, so good from Packers camp"

<<knocks on wood vigorously with both hands>>

wildbill's picture

July 31, 2022 at 11:51 am

Just a little concerned about the O/L and OLB depth. I think the WRs will be fine, once Rodgers feels comfortable with them, as our offense does scheme guys open much of the time. We just need Rodgers to “take what the defense is giving” which IMO is what Brady is so great at.

With our defense, and hopefully a very improved ST, field position battles should be in our favor. So more patience and less “hero ball” please

dblbogey's picture

July 31, 2022 at 03:46 pm

The OL comes down to several things. We've got a stud in Elgton, but when will he be ready? Will Bahk return soon, will he be himself still, will he stay healthy? The 3rd and 4th round O lineman, we need at least 1 to step up, Tom is looking promising. IF all goes well, we'll have a quality line with some solid depth. If not, it could be a struggle early on.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

July 31, 2022 at 04:23 pm

Honestly I have little concerns about the OL. I see it a positive both Jenkins and Bachtiari are out as all the young guys are getting extra reps and rotating from spot to spot. This is only going to help them prepare and provide more depth.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

July 31, 2022 at 12:55 pm

Over time, I've noticed that Aaron Nagler tends to be realistic in his assessments of the team. I, on the other hand have a tendency to be overly optimistic, concentrating on the positive to form my opinions. It took me years to realize that weakness. In my mind, I see Doubs as the next Jerry Rice since they are almost identical in height 6'2" and weight 202 for Rice and 204 for Doubs and how they run the 40 yard dash with rice +or- 4.5 to 4.7 and Doubs around a nice 4.5. Both players are/were students of the game with Rice preparing diligently and being precise in everything he did on the field and Doubs studing tape of his opponents to find tendencies and weaknesses, even at this training camp so he can get an edge. See how hard it is for me not to lean to concluding that Doubs will be something special. This time, I hope I hit the bullseye.

LLCHESTY's picture

July 31, 2022 at 01:15 pm

Doubs is faster than that. He wasn't at full strength when he ran the 40 this Spring. When you watch some video of him he's a 4.4 guy all day. He doesn't have Christian Watson's get off but had a higher top speed at the Senior Bowl than Watson did.

Ferrari-Driver's picture

August 07, 2022 at 10:50 am

When I did the research for the comment, I saw a number of conflicting 40 times on both players and just tried to do the best I could on the accuracy. Jerry Rice was a great player and I'm hoping that Doubs will have a superior career as well.

LLCHESTY's picture

July 31, 2022 at 11:50 pm

Rice seems like the kind of competitor that would be just fine with DBs thinking he ran a 4.7! Any little edge you can get.

PatrickGB's picture

July 31, 2022 at 01:47 pm

Despite what Tayren says I am more of a pessimist. Yet I can’t help but get encouraged by reports about our defense. They were trending up at the end of last season and sounds like they look even better now. However, I do expect that our draft picks might take some time to get into the swing of things.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

July 31, 2022 at 04:24 pm

Love it Ferrari and hope you are right!

Bure9620's picture

August 01, 2022 at 01:20 am

That would be great, but we are one week into camp....no pads yet....I really like Doubs, liked the pick. I think he possibly gets the second most snaps of the rookies (Quay Walker will have the most, maybe Tom if Bahk isn't back)

The majority of the WR snaps will be Lazard and Watkins. Cobb will have several early until he is placed on IR by mid season.

Bure9620's picture

July 31, 2022 at 08:33 pm

The majority of the WR snaps will be Lazard and Watkins. Cobb will have several early until he us placed on IR by mid season.

GregC's picture

August 01, 2022 at 07:06 am

Jerry Rice's measurables were pretty average for a WR, so there are a lot of guys who could be compared to Rice. I think what set him apart was his freakish competitiveness. It's good to hear that Doubs is showing signs of that, but it's way too early to compare him to Rice.

GatorJason's picture

July 31, 2022 at 01:47 pm

Allen Lazard.

PatrickGB's picture

July 31, 2022 at 01:50 pm

Allen has reportedly dropped weight. Perhaps he is now less of a “goon” and more of a #1 WR now. In any case, he will see the ball more this year than he has in the past.

marpag1's picture

July 31, 2022 at 03:43 pm

Not exactly sure what "goon" means in this context, but I hope Lazard always continues to be a "goon." Watching him block/destroy people out on the edge has been an absolute pleasure. Blocking is certainly not the antithesis of being "a #1 receiver." A lot of first rate pass catchers are/were also extraordinary blockers. Cooper Kupp lead the NFL in receiving last year, and he's one of the better blocking WRs in the game. Both Godwin and Evans in Tampa are beasts on the edge, and both had over 1000 yards. Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones were always run blocking studs in their prime.

I have no doubt that one of the reasons the Packers grabbed Sammy Watkins is because he's a very good run blocker. The Packers WANT their receivers to be "goons." One of the few weaknesses in Davante's game is that he was never much of a blocker. Fortunately he was good enough as a pass catcher that he could take defenders out of the play simply by running in the opposite direction.

Bure9620's picture

July 31, 2022 at 08:34 pm

Hines Ward was a fantastic blocker and clear #1 WR.

marpag1's picture

August 01, 2022 at 12:36 am

Yeah, Ward was a good illustration that when it comes to blocking as a WR, if everybody hates you except for your own team, you're probably doing it right.

Not only is WR blocking an essential part of the run game, but great blocking helps the WR even as a pass catcher. It helps to set up your release. If that DB knows that you can probably destroy him physically at the line of scrimmage, that has to change the way he approaches tight/press/bump and run coverage...

UdderApocowlipse's picture

July 31, 2022 at 05:11 pm

This Stokes vs Doubs clash may do more than just get Doubs ready for live action but develop into a beautiful symbiotic relationship.

TarynsEyes's picture