Practice Round Up, Day 15. August 27

The practice was moved indoors due to inclement weather and thus was not open to the public.  It appears that the Packers do not accredit all of the people whose tweets normally appear in these articles.  It was also a short practice, lasting just one hour and thirty-seven minutes.  The Packers play Kansas City on Thursday Night and cutdowns begin on Saturday!

Injuries, Formations, Coach/GM-Speak:

Only four players out: WR Jake Kumerow (shoulder), ILB Oren Burks (shoulder), OT Kyle Murphy (ankle) and … QB Aaron Rodgers (illness).  Trevor Davis and Devante Mays were in pads (but no team reps, just working on the sides).  Wilde/Cohen

McCarthy said on Kyle Murphy that he's still waiting for test results to determine the extent of his ankle injury.  Silverstein [He was in a boot yesterday - Huber.]

“There’s been no talk or mention or even insinuation of me going inside,” Matthews said. “So that would be news to me. Most of the years, I have a pretty good idea if they want me going inside or outside or playing both, but this year I think the focus right now is strictly on the outside linebacker position until further notice.” “I anticipate staying on the edge,” Matthews said. Wood

Kevin King, Alexander, and House are starters in the nickel today.  Silverstein

Gutekunst said conversations with other teams on potential trades have been ongoing. Said it's part of the natural process. Said he wouldn't say they're shopping anybody.  Silverstein

"I think coming into camp we were a little light in the experience department at inside linebacker. ... He has a lot of passion, very physical. ... He's not going to set the world on fire speed wise, but we don’t have any concerns there.  Demovsky

MM makes the point that there are two coaches on staff (though both on the offensive side) who were in Indy last season and know what Morrison brings.  Wood

GM Gutekunst is hopeful Trevor Davis can play some Thursday night in Kansas City. Hasn't played this preseason because of the hamstring. BG believes Davis still on an upward trajectory as a young player.  Wood

Gutekunst says there were good individual performances on offensive line Friday in Oakland but didn't like how the group performed as a whole. Added team is still trying to figure out Kyle Murphy's health status.  Wood

MM on Allison: "He's as tough as they come. He's got a great story, and I love where he's at. Because he brings it every single day."  Wood

Actual Plays:

Evans with a great cover against Jimmy Graham in back of end zone, picking Tim Boyle’s pass.  Wood

Rollins, dove to intercept Tim Boyle’s pass that deflected off TE Mercedes Lewis.  Wood  OR Kizer picked off when Josh Hawkins tips ball and Quentin Rollins stretches out diving for the ball.  Silverstein

Hundley throws behind Randall Cobb while he’s running open across the middle. Pass deflects off Cobb’s hand, straight to Tramon Williams for interception.  Wood

Moore catches deep pass. From Kizer on Donatello Brown.  Silverstein

Moore just showed good hands near sideline on an out route, but couldn’t get two feet inbounds. More than one way to finish the catch.  Wood

King with a nice breakup but flag thrown. This side judge is a tough grader.  Silverstein

King is a lot to throw over. Not only 6-3, but also long arms and knows how to leverage his height near sideline. Just had a nice pass breakup vs. EQ St. Brown, playing underneath his out route.  Wood

Hawkins picks off Tim Boyle, but a flag on the play. May have been interference.  Silverstein

Offensive Line:

OT Bryan Bulaga limping back to sideline after getting tangled up with someone. Seems to be OK. Nobody tending to him.  Silverstein

Special Teams:

Triner doing a lot of snapping to Scott. Bradley working alone on the side.  Huber

Morrison is here and working on kickoff return.  Huber [Wearing No. 48.]

Davis is back from hamstring injury, and already back returning kicks. Not hard to see where he fits on the 53.  Wood

Davis was not able to field the five [punts] that appear to be wedged in the Hutson Center rafters.  Wilde

MM said the Packers have to view Trevor Davis in terms of what he's done on special teams in the past, both as a returner and as "probably the No. 1 gunner" in punt coverage. Sounds like McCarthy is echoing what special teams coordinator Ron Zook said last week.  Cohen

packsmack's picture

August 27, 2018 at 08:37 pm

Roundup. 1 word.

August 27, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Did I make that mistake all 15 times? I don't remember.

Coldworld's picture

August 27, 2018 at 10:19 pm

Thanks for the content and the effort to bring these reports.

JerseyAl's picture

August 28, 2018 at 07:42 am

You used Round-Up, which Is one of the two accepted versions, along with Roundup. We will try not to hold this egregious offense against you.

BradHTX's picture

August 28, 2018 at 09:28 am

Sprayed my whole lawn with Round-Up once, thinking it was a weed killer. Rookie home owner growing pains, but I made the second year jump. After watching the tape I fixed my pad level on that one... The lawn, however, was a surprise cut.

EdsLaces's picture

August 28, 2018 at 06:10 am

Man.....Packsmack has not commented in forever and he comes with the heat lol.

Andrew Lloyd Peth's picture

August 27, 2018 at 08:53 pm

Well, the coaches are certainly talking up Trevor Davis, for what that's worth.

Coldworld's picture

August 27, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Ascending? In what way? They clearly see something I don’t in his receiving skill set.

Oppy's picture

August 28, 2018 at 12:17 am

Per the article, it was not specified they were referring to his receiving skill set.

Andrew Lloyd Peth's picture

August 28, 2018 at 08:41 am

The comments seemed more general. At any rate, the coaches sound pretty positive--not that they'd want to go all Rodgers-with-rookie-receivers on him...

...which I loved, by the way.

TheBigCheeze's picture

August 27, 2018 at 09:18 pm

James Reynolds....the Packers play on Thursday night, not Friday night as you stated....

August 27, 2018 at 10:08 pm

Eew, that's bad. I'll try to get that fixed.

JerseyAl's picture

August 28, 2018 at 07:37 am

you are correct - fixed.

Spock's picture

August 28, 2018 at 11:24 am

Al, I wish you could fix my television schedule as here in Tucson the game is "playing" on Sunday morning, lol.

GBPDAN1's picture

August 27, 2018 at 11:34 pm

Ya, from what I'm reading, it looks like the coaches are set on having Davis seize the punt and kickoff returner position. I was really hoping that Kumerow would make the team. I hope this works out some how.

Good to see King practicing. If his shoulder is 100%, I'd like to see him play some snaps this week against KC considering he's miss all 3 preseason games and practice time.

I cringed when I read Bulaga went to the sidelines in practice today. Please don't scare us like that...lol

August 27, 2018 at 10:17 pm

The rest of the week has all closed practices but I imagine we would hear about any continuing issues with Bulaga. Still, it seemed worth mentioning. So, this is the last practice roundup this year.

Oppy's picture

August 28, 2018 at 12:23 am

TGR,

I know you demure and consider these media aggregates as simple organization, but they are a great contribution to the site and have been extremely insightful and a boon for the average Packers fan.

I really appreciate how you thoughtfully add in honest asides where tweets may not be perfectly clear or concise, while being careful not to interject any assumption or bias (without expressly noting it is your own.)

Great work, sir. Thanks! I hope you are able to continue this in the future.

PatrickGB's picture

August 28, 2018 at 06:30 am

It was funny to read about the punts stuck in the rafters.

Spock's picture

August 28, 2018 at 11:27 am

Yeah, That was a hilarious tweet. That kid Scott has some amazing height/hang time to his kicks. One of the few bright spots for me watching the game was one of the punts where the other team's punt returner and the Packers gunners were just sort of staring at each other waiting for the ball to come down!

Since'61's picture

August 28, 2018 at 08:16 am

TGR - another great update. Appreciate all of your hard work. Good job. Can't believe that Davis couldn't handle those punts stuck in the rafters. Thanks, Since '61

BradHTX's picture

August 28, 2018 at 09:27 am

Better straight-line speed than agility, that one.

Since'61's picture

August 28, 2018 at 09:55 am

Good point! LOL. Thanks, Since '61

Spock's picture

August 28, 2018 at 11:30 am

TGR, I really appreciate your doing these reports and hope they will be a permanent part of CHTV going forward. Nice work.