Packers Practice Roundup: August 7, 2022

A couple of injured players return to practice.

Practice today was just a jog through.

GENERAL/PERSONNEL:

Just a short, jog-through practice inside the Hutson Center that.  Wood [Moved due to weather.]

here’s a few under the radar guys I’ve really enjoyed watching through (almost) 10 practices: Danny Davis Sal Cannella Ishmael Hyman Caleb Jones Tyler Goodson BJ Baylor Jack Heflin Jonathan Ford All have had competitive camps. Some prime p/s candidates.  Not to say some of these guys couldn’t make the 53 - in fact I think Ford will.  Herman  [I'd add Gafford, Gaines, Scott, Kobe Jones (if he can continue), and Patrick Taylor, though I suspect Mr. Herman expects some of these guys to also make the 53.  TGR]

Three new DNPs for Packers: Randall Cobb (vet rest) Innis Gaines (hamstring) Darnell Savage (hamstring) Meanwhile, Malik Taylor (shoulder) appears to be back on a limited basis (wearing a red 86 jersey) and Patrick Taylor (groin) had a helmet in stretch but went to rehab unit.  2)  Actually Taylor is back in individual drills. So is Randy Ramsey (ankle).  Demovsky

WR Malik Taylor (shoulder) is practicing for the first time in camp, but he’s in a red jersey. So still working his way back, but a promising sign. 2) Good to see Randy Ramsey back at practice after missing Family Night with an ankle injury. It was an ankle injury in camp that forced him out all last season. Corner Keisean Nixon (groin) is also off NFI and practicing for the first time in camp.  3)  WR Randall Cobb is taking a veteran’s rest day away from practice. Safeties Darnell Savage and Innis Gaines are out with hamstring injuries.  Wood  [Good for these guys, but things have gotten difficult for Taylor as players have stepped up in his absence.  Herman thought Nixon seemed completely ready to go, that is, not limited.  TGR]

Christian Watson and Mason Crosby working with the rehab group for the first time today. Hopefully that’s a good sign.  Herman

QUARTERBACK/WIDE RECEIVER:

Matt LaFleur on Jordan Love: "He's much more in rhythm, there's more decisiveness, you see it in his footwork. He's not getting stuck at the top of the drop. It looks more fluid. It's translated to his play. He's throwing the ball accurately and making pretty good decisions."  Kruse

Doubs:  Yes, AR threw a bullet to Doubs after extending the play.

OFFENSIVE LINE:

Jake Hanson getting some time at center with the 1s.  Nagler  [Still adjusting my view to upgrade Jake Hanson - he looks better than I expected.  TGR]

DEFENSIVE BACKS:

Vernon Scott in with the 1s for Savage (hamstring) during team. (Just walkthrough today).  Herman  [Gaines is probably the only competition for Scott at centerfield, and Gaines was not practicing.  TGR]

Keisean Nixon returned to practice.  I chose to use his photo.  Nixon has a real chance to make the roster, so this development seems to me to be the most significant today.  I am unconvinced that he is CB #4, but he will have time to show what he can do in that area.  TGR

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Who the hell knows what it amounts to because it’s special teams in Green Bay, but holy hell is the coaching so much more targeted, intense, and purposeful this season. They have eyes on everything and these coaches are incredibly detail oriented. It’s impressive.  Herman  [Results don't seem necessarily better, but the process looks and feels better.  Sometimes it takes a while for the tanker to change course.  TGR]

Amari Rodgers and Romeo Doubs alternating as punt returners.  Nagler  [Cobb got a veteran rest day. TGR]

Rico Gafford and SJC the outside rushers on fg block team. Love seeing Gafford’s insane speed there. If anyone could block a kick off the edge it could be him.  Herman

Coldworld's picture

August 07, 2022 at 09:44 pm

Only other thing I heard was;

“WR Juwann Winfree just tracked a moon ball from Rodgers that got close to the Hutson Center roof and traveled at least 60 yards in the air and made a bending, reach back over the shoulder catch, all hands. Whew.” #PackersCamp

It would be so good to see a lightning fast guy on STs as a rusher, returner or gunning. We will see, but how long has it been?

The combined list of dark horses seems pretty comprehensive to me, though I think Scott is looking more and more odds on. That’s a great list to use as a watch list for games coming up. I would add one more: Donte Vaughn

Vaughn is a big corner, 6’2, 212. He had a great freshman season and then injuries derailed and inhibited him and he lost his starting role. Played well when he did as a senior. Some questions about his tackling, but he has talent beyond his stats and he’s made a few plays in camp already. Projects inside, maybe as a S.

I had to dig for this but in privately staged Covid workouts for teams after others were cancelled:

“Vaughn recorded a 40-yard dash of 4.56 seconds and 20-yard shuttle of 4.16. He ran slightly faster (4.52) when he recorded his 40-yard dash previously in Tampa Bay. A 4.52 at the NFL Combine would have been faster than nine of the 29 cornerbacks who completed the 40. A 4.16 in the shuttle would have slated fifth out of 13 cornerbacks.” South Bend Tribune.

LLCHESTY's picture

August 07, 2022 at 09:09 pm

"but how long has it been?"

Back when Janis carried us?🤔

Coldworld's picture

August 07, 2022 at 09:16 pm

Was he that fast? I had to look, 4.42 Pretty quick I agree, but not 4.22. Miss him on STs. We should have made him a ST stalwart like Bush.

LLCHESTY's picture

August 07, 2022 at 10:29 pm

Yes, I just meant he made some big plays as a gunner. I always like that Parcells story about telling his team before camp he would keep the two best STs players. I'd imagine it gave the bottom of the roster guys a hell of an incentive when it came to volunteering for the different units.

Leatherhead's picture

August 07, 2022 at 09:01 pm

Couple of practices left before SF.

It looks like Hanson has improved in the eyes of observers and the coaches. Good. No team has ever had too many good blockers.

PatrickGB's picture

August 07, 2022 at 09:06 pm

Thanks for the article TGR. Great stuff as always. And I hope you get the comma function on your keyboard fixed soon. 😉

August 07, 2022 at 09:27 pm

Acquit me of most of those issues. I do not fix the tweets. My own prose sometimes could use a little work. I do see one spot where in hindsight that might be better with a comma. Nah, I am going to leave it alone just to annoy you!

[To be honest, I am amazed that these guys can tweet out during practice. Every time I looked away from the field to check something I missed a play. Of course, being old I don't text or tweet very fast, despite being able to type.]

Johnblood27's picture

August 07, 2022 at 09:58 pm

voice to text my friend. it will become your best friend. once you are proficient at that little gem your comma use will be inconsequential compared to the misinterpretation of your voice by the software.

think about whole words being wrong instead of just a little mark like a comma.

it can be fairly entertaining at times...

Turophile's picture

August 08, 2022 at 07:35 am

TGR. Another good post, as yours do tend to be.
First attempts at writing an article almost always need refining (and often more than once). How good the final attempt is, depends on the writer. Some have a better innate sense of construction than others.

I always thought your articles scanned just fine and you always seem to have a solid base behind your articles - fluff posts just aren't in your wheelhouse.

PatrickGB's picture

August 08, 2022 at 09:12 am

As a guy who depends on spell check you are fully and completely acquitted! I was just messing with you and love your stuff! I only mess with people I respect and trust.

LLCHESTY's picture

August 07, 2022 at 09:14 pm

I saw a tweet from Huber that said it was going to take some extra time to come up with something to write about in his practice recap today. Here's hoping for more action tomorrow!

Coldworld's picture

August 07, 2022 at 09:35 pm

The injury news was pretty positive today. A lot back, others seemingly getting closer.

LLCHESTY's picture

August 07, 2022 at 10:33 pm

Somebody tweeted last week that Hill and Tonyan looked really sharp last week making cuts. We might hear from them before the end of preseason is over. Hopefully Bakhtiari too. I'm expecting Watson back by the 3rd preseason game but that could always be wishful thinking.

Coldworld's picture

August 08, 2022 at 12:27 am

ACLs are often a lingering source of flexibility and mobility issues after “recovery” and passing the physical. We’ve see that in football many times. I would at this point rather take Hill and Tonyan slowly and remember they will need time to get up to full playing fitness generally. I hope we only take them off the PUP if they are actually in time to get meaningful preseason work. I’m not sure if that applies to Bakh, since his wax apparently not the ACL itself this time.

BAMABADGER's picture

August 07, 2022 at 09:58 pm

When should Packer Mgt be concerned with Christian Watson missing practice time? This lost time may shelve him for much or all the season. You can't develop AR chemistry and trust sitting on the sidelines. Let's go Doubs!

Leatherhead's picture

August 07, 2022 at 10:59 pm

It is possible that Watson won’t make much of a contribution the first half of the season. For the next couple of seasons, he’ll be part of the Big 3, along with Doubs.

Coldworld's picture

August 08, 2022 at 12:33 am

I think Watson was with the rehab group in the Hutson Center today, so he’s likely getting closer. I think they will start him out with go routes and a few specific plays to get the ball to him and let him run with it. Those happen to be most similar to what he has done before. To be honest, that’s what I expected initially anyway, but it’s likely more paired down initially. If he proves able to block as well as he could at his prior level, it will be easier to get him on the field and leave Ds guessing.

croatpackfan's picture

August 08, 2022 at 03:16 am

Thanks for the article TGR!

T7Steve's picture

August 08, 2022 at 08:54 am

I remember a few years ago (MM era) how hamies were a very common issue. Mostly it's getting loose stretching to prevent this. It sort of went away and I thought the trainers must have been concentrating on it. Now MLF is worried about the guys being in shape. Enough for him to make Sunday a walk through.

Do they just trust these guys get ready for a workout themselves? Or should they start making them run laps like I had to do when I was being lazy, had a penalty, or missed an assignment?