Jaire Alexander Returns with a New Attitude

Green Bay Packers cornerback Jaire Alexander returned to the team now that his one-game suspension has been served. It’s been a difficult season for the former first-round pick, filled with multiple struggles with injuries that have kept him off the field and limited his effectiveness when he did play.

The two-time Pro Bowler has not lived up to expectations this season. He’s managed to play in only six games all season. After intercepting a career-high five passes in 2022, he does not have any picks in 2023.

Opposing quarterbacks have completed 71 percent of their passes when throwing to receivers covered by Alexander according to pro-football-reference.com. That number hasn’t been above 60 percent since his rookie campaign back in 2018. Their quarterback rating in those situations is 120.6, nearly double the 63.7 of a year ago.

The shoulder injury that kept him out of the lineup has also hindered his ability to tackle opposing players. The week off may even help him heal a bit more.

The suspension happened after the Packers 33-30 win over the Panthers in Carolina. Alexander went out for the coin toss before the game even though he wasn’t a captain. He wanted to do that because he was playing near his hometown of Charlotte. He almost blew the coin toss but was bailed out by the officials because head coach Matt LaFleur told them before the toss what he wanted to do if the Packers won it.

When the Packers announced the one-game suspension, LaFleur admitted it wasn’t just about one thing.

“I was surprised by the suspension,” Alexander admitted. “I thought maybe I would get fined.”

The Packers were fortunate. They dominated their game last Sunday night against the Vikings with a strong pass rush. Corey Ballentine and Carrington Valentine filled in at cornerback for Alexander and the injured Eric Stokes and both played well. The Packers defense held Minnesota to 10 points and the Packers won easily, 33-10.

The suspension also gave the former Louisville star a chance to reflect and to clear the air with his coach and teammates.

“I think it was definitely something to learn from,” Alexander said. “There were definitely things that I could improve upon during that week to help with the communication. Moving forward, that won’t happen again.”

The key is improving communication. “I think communication is big. It’s easy to talk with my guys, but talking to anyone else can be a little bit of a challenge. So, I’ve got to get better at that.”

“It was good for both parties to hear both sides,” Alexander said. “That’s kind of what we alluded to, and we got down to the nitty gritty. We all just agreed to be on the same page with communication moving forward.”

Despite the disappointing season, Alexander has one more chance this weekend to help the team succeed. If the Packers beat the Bears at Lambeau Field on Sunday, they will be in the playoffs.

“It was great to have him back,” LaFleur told reporters. “We had a great conversation on Monday, and I think he’s ready to go.”

It all goes beyond this Sunday though. Alexander remains the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. It would be costly and difficult for the team to move on from him and there hasn’t been any indication they want to.

Presently, Alexander is set to have a 2024 cap hit of $24.36 million according to Spotrac.com. If the Packers trade or release him, that number would increase to $27.46 million. He is presently signed through the end of the 2026 season which means he has three more years left on his current deal.

This incident could really be a turning point in Alexander’s Packers career. It could be the time he, his teammates and the coaching staff all get on the same page or at least come to a mutual understanding. Or it could be when things get off track for good.

Alexander is optimistic. “It doesn’t affect my relationship with anybody,” he explained when asked about the suspension. “If anything, it improved it.”

He added he intends to “just keeping doing what I’m doing, and no setbacks.”

The Packers are hoping for exactly that and more.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR CHEESEHEAD NATION WEEKLY NEWSLETTER HERE.

__________________________

You can follow Gil Martin on Twitter @GilPackers

__________________________

Packers0808's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:03 am

Sounds like he learned a little humility which goes a long way! Good for him, now show it your game Sunday and going forward!

ChrisD's picture

January 04, 2024 at 05:37 pm

He’s shown plenty. He seems sincere in his understanding of what was wrong and what will be right moving forward. Big Ja fan here. He did a dumb thing. He got too cocky. Now knocked down a rung, I hope he handles that and reps the green and gold well moving forward. I believe he will.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:13 am

Workplace conflict so often comes down to a lack of effective communication. When both sides to a conflict can be heard and acknowledged it relieves the emotional stuff. Then you can get clarity for both sides on expectations and the best way to communicate clearly going forward. It is true that conflict can actually improve relationships because when it is cleared up through honest communication it builds a level of trust going forward. Dealing with this at work right now. Not my conflict, but helping to mediate mis communication and unstated expectations between others.

Jaire's attitude is part of what made him an all-pro and it's got to be so frustrating to not be able to play at a high level or play at all when you know what you are capable of when healthy. Hoping his body can heal up and he can return to form. Everybody who plays gets hurt at some point; it's just the reality of playing violent game. They will need him healthy and productive next year if they want to build a reliable defense.

Bitternotsour's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:18 am

sensible posts are rare. this is a sensible real world post.

my hope is he is held out for one more week to further heal. jaire is a thoroughbred. when healthy he is likely our best player. anyone advocating moving on from him is deluded.

T7Steve's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:33 am

"sensible posts are rare"

I resemble that!

LeotisHarris's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:59 pm

Great insights on Jaire!

Good luck at work, WCPB. The problems I've always had with groups is they are comprised of human beings and you never really know for sure what those creatures are going to do. The larger the group, the better the chance mail will not be sent to the correct address and everyone will suffer as the guessing game begins.

Houndog's picture

January 05, 2024 at 05:55 am

Well said, Leotis
What you describe is why we've never seen the statue of a 'committee' in front of the courthouse.

Untylu1968's picture

January 04, 2024 at 02:13 pm

Maybe the conversation went something like this. Jaire, we really need your excellence on the field, and you're a very important piece of our future. Oh, yeah, and we're going to shitcan Barry next year, so hang in there..

EnemyTerritory's picture

January 04, 2024 at 05:57 pm

….and a superb performance against the lions in aggressive man coverage will facilitate that departure…

EnemyTerritory's picture

January 04, 2024 at 05:57 pm

Oops, Bears…

ricky's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:23 am

Communication is key in any relationship. But I still believe a lot of his "attitude problems" can be attributed to being misused in the defense by Barry. This is sheer speculation, but what if it was hinted during this conversation that "a change is extremely likely" or "things will be looking very different starting next season". But, in the end, actions speak louder than words. Alexander has to commit himself to staying healthy and getting back into Pro Bowl form. And LaFleur needs to find a new DC who can make the defense more effective on every play, every game.

Cheezehead72's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:29 am

Ricky you are starting to sound like my preacher. He has said we need to talk to our spouses.

LambeauPlain's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:50 am

Possible Alexander was told changes were coming although I don't think Gutey nor MLF would share that with him.

I also have not seen any reports where Alexander had communications with Barry over the suspension. So far the conversations reported are between Alexander & MLF and Gutey.

So my sense is the issue was between the player and the DC. I find it odd MLF couldn't resolve this and Gutey to get involved in the situation and issue the suspension. But I know few details.

A change at DC is indeed warranted and long overdue. There is D talent on the Packers!

Two changes I would like to see after the playoffs:

1. Brian Gutekunst is finally made a full control General Manager during Murphy's transition year. This causes #2.
2. Joe Barry is replaced with a top notch, proven DC.

Guam's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:29 pm

There was an interesting article in my local Wisconsin paper this morning that had many of the same quotes as cited in this article, but also had one more quote that caught my attention.

Apparently it is standard Packer operating procedure to name players local to an area as captains for an away game. MLF expressly did not name Jaire as captain for the Carolina game and when asked why said Jaire's injury and other factors were the reasons for his decision. Jaire apparently took it upon himself to "rectify" that choice by acting as a captain anyway.

I do not know if MLF communicated his decision and why to Jaire and Jaire expressly went against his wishes or if MLF failed to communicate with Jaire and Jaire just assumed he should be captain. I certainly hope it was not the former case as that would speak very poorly to Jaire's decision making.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:30 pm

Well sure the frustration of being so competitive and being injured is further compounded by not being used properly in the scheme. He'd love to be the guy that stops the opponent's #1 from getting anywhere.

I am not sure what you mean by "committing himself to staying healthy?" I don't see how a football player can keep from getting injured in a violent game. We don't want him to avoid tackling, right? And that would be what you would probably do to try to avoid getting hurt. There's zero indication that he doesn't take care of his body or his rehab properly. You don't get to an All-Pro level if you don't know how to take care of your body over his multiple seasons in the NFL.

There seems to be a blame game, ranging from subtle to blatant, about Packer players who get injured. There seems to be so much anger from some fans about injuries, when they are and always have been a big part of the game. Famous Packer Max McGee scored the first ever Super Bowl TD only because Boyd Dowler went down with a separated shoulder on the 2nd drive of the game. McGee wasn't even expecting to play in that game. Was that Dowler's fault for not being "commited to saying healthy?"

barutanseijin's picture

January 04, 2024 at 02:51 pm

Barry didn’t stop him from being voted All Pro or putting up some good numbers before.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 04, 2024 at 04:04 pm

That's true but it doesn't mean that he's happy this year with Barry's play calls.

LambeauPlain's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:24 am

The boss can manage behavior but not attitude. That's up to the employee.

I hope Alexander's attitude has been returned to one of humility after a hearty helping of humble pie.

It seems like the behavioral issues have been resolved.

Alexander has an opportunity that 99.99% of humanity will never be given. He realizes this, doesn't he?

Cheezehead72's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:27 am

The boss cannot manage behavior. That is also up to the employee.

A wise lady has told me many times there is only one person I can control.

I usually follow that with and yes I have a hard enough time doing that.

LambeauPlain's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:54 am

Yes they can and good managers do. If you do not, you and your employee will not meet or exceed performance expectations...and your boss will be managing your behavior...as in making you look for another job.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:33 pm

A good manager can only set expectations and provide support for both behavior AND attitude. They are both an important part of any job performance as attitude affects an entire organization. But it is always up to the employee to choose to meet both the behavioral and attitude expectations.

Cheezehead72's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:28 am

I also hope Alexander has learned from this. Yes he needs to be humble around the team but when the game starts humility goes out and he needs to go out there and do his job.

T7Steve's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:36 am

Maybe the famous "chip on hie shoulder" type of play?

SinceLombardi's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:33 am

But can he tackle? If not, start Valentine.

Leatherhead's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:40 pm

So, would you consider Valentine a solid guy you'd want on the field for 100% of the snaps? Are we fine with a secondary of Stokes, Nixon, Valentine, Owens and Johnson?

IMO, regardless of what happens the rest of this season, regardless of who our DC is, there's a lot of work to do there.

ChrisD's picture

January 04, 2024 at 05:43 pm

CanPackFan's picture

January 04, 2024 at 04:10 pm

And let's add, can he cover as well? It's a bit of a catch 22 - do we start Valentine after a good game or Jaire after he "says" everything's fine now? I don't like Jaires' childish attitude one bit and I am not convinced that he is suddenly going to be a model citizen from here on. All I can is "talk is cheap, prove it"!

ChrisD's picture

January 04, 2024 at 05:48 pm

I know what you mean, but he has “proved it” plenty of times. What more do you want? Self flagellation? He’s been hurt. And I believe that is the source of his frustration. He went through a thing that was dumb, now he says he’s on board. Can’t we just leave it at that?

Houndog's picture

January 05, 2024 at 06:27 am

ChrisD,
"now he says he’s on board. Can’t we just leave it at that?"
You can if you'd like, Chris, but I've seen too many times from Alexander when he's talked a better game than he's played, and too many times that its happened two or more weeks in a row.
Its no longer about lip service and promises, now its about attitude and performance.
Don't Tell me, talk is cheap! Show me!

January 04, 2024 at 11:41 am

We???
Sorry - Too many warning signs now.
If Douglass can go.
Alexander shouldn't be far behind.
Numbers and not just attitude are front and center.
Remember how you wanted to trade Rodgers to Denver.-
Just saying.

Bitternotsour's picture

January 04, 2024 at 12:08 pm

Nice little story from the Washington Post

Please don't misunderstand, wanting an aged, washed up, injury prone megalomaniac traded to Denver is not the same situation that we see with Jaire.

LeotisHarris's picture

January 04, 2024 at 02:05 pm

I saw Disney's cadre of lawyers had McAfee in CYA mode on Wednesday. Disney, ESPN and Rodgers deserve each other.

Bitternotsour's picture

January 04, 2024 at 02:22 pm

McAfee delivering a jokey hostage tape type thing. Pretty funny.

I think McAfee has some significant exposure, HE, not ESPN, pays Rodgers appearance fee.

MainePackFan's picture

January 04, 2024 at 03:03 pm

Jimmy Kimmel is, and always has been, a POS regardless of how anyone feels about AR.
He's been running his mouth about Rodgers for years now. I would include Kimmel in your "deserve each other" list. Maybe they all deserve each other LH.

White92's picture

January 04, 2024 at 07:56 pm

100%. This Kimmel D-bag made his name on girls jumping on trampolines and now is holier than thou. What a tool.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 04, 2024 at 04:14 pm

Yeah, she's got her take, but remember, she makes her living by getting clicks as well. Rodgers is making her salary, too, so she's got her point of view. He's done an awful lot of good in this work with his philanthropy and it's a bummer to see both the athletic accomplishments and the good he's done get tainted by his dive into conspiracy theories. That's not doing any good in the world, even if some of them were/are true.

Rodgers has talked a lot about legacy. I've always found him interesting and we know he is brilliant and well read; he can remember specific plays from years ago; he demonstrated his knowledge on jeopardy and he's had a lot of good friendships with teammates over the years. But veering into the stuff he's saying now is not going to improve his legacy; it is going to tarnish it. People don't like sussing out the good and bad in their heroes. They love them to be all good or all bad. Humans aren't like that. We are always a composite of both good and bad.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:36 pm

They just gave Alexander a massive contract extension, so the salary cap prohibits any kind of trade for him. He just needs to get healthy and feel productive again and probably with a new Defensive Coordinator that will use him to his strengths. You don't get rid of an all-pro at one of the most important positions on the field unless there is absolutely no working things out. In this case, things are already improving via communication. I'm pulling for the guy to get healthy and be the shut-down guy we need and love.

Jeff Hayes's picture

January 04, 2024 at 12:07 pm

I'm not sure how to feel about this, I mean Ja'$ has a certain appeal to his attitude which makes him feared, He gets in QB's heads with his confidence so personally I hope he doesn't change too much. Now can he be more of a team player? Yes, but come on dude this is him so what's the expectations on his change?

ChrisD's picture

January 04, 2024 at 05:48 pm

Agreed

Houndog's picture

January 05, 2024 at 06:51 am

JDH,
"Ja'$ has a certain appeal to his attitude which makes him feared". Sorry JDH, but I haven't seen many teams that have shied away from throwing in Alexanders direction. That $ sign in his name doesn't seem to scare QBs.
And as for "come on dude this is him so what's the expectations on his change?"
I'm not expecting much, if any change. But as he seems to make most of his decisions with his mouth, it would be nice to see him "Walk the walk" too.

TheVOR's picture

January 04, 2024 at 12:21 pm

If I’m the Packers I’m looking for a draft day trade that bundles him into a big jump move up scenario, or a high pick. Talked about a massive contract and a waste of money.. what gets hidden in the whole coin toss diversion, is just how poorly this player is playing! He’s a guy who makes $1 million a week for doing absolutely nothing and when he’s on the field he’s not producing. To me, at least as a fan and having watched football over six decades I see a player who is disinterested in being in this organization. I’m jumping out a chance to move him in the next draft.

SicSemperTyrannis's picture

January 04, 2024 at 12:44 pm

You're not considering how much the Packers need to keep paying him even after a trade.

Leatherhead's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:46 pm

If we traded him after the season, we'd still owe him $27 million, but some of that would be offset by the salary and roster bonuses we don't have to pay him. Call it about $10 M to move on from Alexander and get whatever he brings in trade. That's not an impossible choice.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 04, 2024 at 04:16 pm

But what about the dead cap hit? That doesn't change. And GB doesn't have the room for a $27 dead cap. They don't hardly have enough to pay an incoming rookie draft class next spring. They are projected to have about $10M in cap space.

January 04, 2024 at 01:53 pm

True, but remember how much was on the books for 12--he'd just signed the big deal and had a lot waiting, too. If Alexander wants to go, and the Packers want him gone, there are ways to mitigate the hits to make it happen.

MainePackFan's picture

January 04, 2024 at 03:18 pm

His effort this Sunday will tell us a lot about where his head is at.

TheVOR's picture

January 04, 2024 at 05:12 pm

Nope, team that takes the player assumes the contract

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:48 pm

The player is clearly hurt and not playing to his level. That's not the time to make a trade. And the cap hit would keep Gutey from putting together a roster that will be better last year than this year.

Players don't try to get hurt. It's a natural side-effect of playing a violent sport. And we happen to have guys on their second or third big contracts that have been hurt. That's not unusual. I'd love to see an article about how much salary cap is tied up in injured players around the NFL.

For example, the Bengals just signed Joe Burrow to a massive contract and then he got hurt part way through the season. Cleveland signed DeShaun Watson to a massive deal and he's played 6 games each of the last 2 seasons. The Vikings are paying Cousins despite only half a season of play. Cooper Kupp, Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr, Daniel Jones, Saquan Barkley.

There has been a huge amount of salary cap sitting on the sidelines or on IR in 2023. Packers are not alone in that.

splitpea1's picture

January 04, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Let's hope so. There's obviously no way the Packers are moving on from Alexander, as that cap hit, I believe, would be the largest for an non-quarterback in history.

It would be nice to know more about these communication issues. "...It's easy to talk to my guys, but talking to anyone else can be a bit of a challenge...It was good for both parties to hear both sides...We just all agreed to be on the same page going forward." It sounds like there is a substantial disconnect between the players and coaching staff, and Alexander is probably just one example, the one that happens to be in the spotlight because of the coin toss incident.

Some of the other quotes pointed out are just the typical feel-good blather that you would normally expect following such a meeting. Hopefully things have been patched up enough to get Alexander through one more regular season game and any ensuing playoff contests.

Ironically, one of the reasons MLF cited initially for his hiring of Barry was his communication skills. LOL, so much for that!

Assuming the Packers hire another DC and sweep out other assistants (not a foregone conclusion yet with this regime), the communication process largely starts all over again, hopefully with a heavy dose of career rejuvenation that a couple of our veterans badly need. So we'll see.

January 04, 2024 at 01:57 pm

"There's obviously no way the Packers are moving on from Alexander, as that cap hit, I believe, would be the largest for an non-quarterback in history."

He's got a $24M cap hit in 2024 as it is...it grows to $27M in dead money if he's cut or traded prior to Jun. 1 and no changes are made to his contract.

One way or another, the Packers are going to be visiting the Bank of Jaire this off-season and adjusting his deal. He's got an $8M roster bonus that they can turn into signing bonus to mitigate some of that hit. They might also be able to work on his cash value in 2024 (about $6.5M), but there's not a lot of savings there.

Houndog's picture

January 05, 2024 at 07:02 am

Splitpea1,
"MLF cited initially for his hiring of Barry was his communication skills"

Is that the same MLF that stood in front of a press conference (with the diesel engine of the bus idling behind him) wondering out loud about why his players weren't "getting it"?

LOL, the entire thing is laughable

golfpacker1's picture

January 04, 2024 at 12:51 pm

At his best, Alexander takes away the other teams best WR. Hopefully thats what we get this week against Chicago. I would think we would see a great effort this week after the suspension. Alexander shutting down DJ Moore would make it easier to contain their running QB. It would be a great time for the pass rush to show and shine.

Leatherhead's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:22 pm

Neither the club nor Alexander benefit from being dicks, and if they work together, both sides can get what they want.

He's a real good corner and he helps the team, but only when he's available. How many CBs had a better season than Alexander this year? Pretty much anybody who played half the season.

My look at the financials, via Spotrac, says that $6M is the prorated signing bonus, and, another $9M is deferred money spread out over several seasons. His salary, and his roster bonus, and his workout bonus, add up to about $16M. Yes, the signing bonus and deferred money add up to $27M, but if we figure in the $16M then essentially it's costing us $10M to move on.

Additionally, any draft picks or compensation in trade would also have to be figured in. So, IMO, it's not financially impossible to move on from Alexander. Best, best case scenario, is Alexander has a great attitude, inspires the team, stays healthy , helps us win a lot of games, is the Defensive MVP, gets paid a bunch of money.

Worst case scenario is we're left owing a bunch of money to a guy who isn't helping us win games.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

January 04, 2024 at 01:57 pm

If you trade Alexander now, his dead cap hit is $37M. Trade him after the new league year it is $27M. And what team wants to trade for an injured guy if they're not sure he's back to form. He's not helping us win because he is hurt and either on the bench or playing thru inuries. If the fix for injuries is just to trade away injured players, then we'd have no squad. From an article on thi site by Mosqueda at the end of December:

"How bad is a $27 million dead cap? It would be one of the five largest dead caps in the history of the NFL, behind only the cost it took for teams to move on from Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady (retirement) and Carson Wentz. Yes, that means it would be the biggest cap hit in NFL history for a non-quarterback."

Right now they barely have enough cap space to sign the rookie draft class of 2024. Alexander isn't going anywhere.

Leatherhead's picture

January 04, 2024 at 04:28 pm

I hope you're right, and that Alexander stays here, stays healthy, and plays well.

There are other scenarios that have worse endings. We can't force him to play in Green Bay and help us win. Either way, we're on the hook for a lot. It's best for the team if this can be resolved so that Alexander plays here and stays healthy and plays well. But if we have to get to Option #2, it's not an insurmountable amount to have to cover, if necessary, which I don't think it will be.

WD's picture

January 04, 2024 at 02:20 pm

I agree with most everything said. It appears they have kissed and made up. Twas great we won against the Vikings; who luckily have the worst starting QB's in the league. As for Jaire; when healthy he is one of the best in the league. In my humble opinion, I still feel it is best not to punish the entire family for the sins of a brother. But, let's forgive and move on. I saw the Bears play last week and Chicago has dramatically improved from the team we saw on opening day. We will need our A game to win in a squeaker. I think it is safe to talk about playoffs.....if we win. Go Pack go. We must follow tradition and own the Bears!

Lphill's picture

January 04, 2024 at 02:26 pm

talk is cheap show it now Alexander make a play !

Razer's picture

January 04, 2024 at 02:28 pm

I see a lot of immaturity and ego from Alexander. He has put himself before the team and that undermines what this group is trying to do. Blame Joe Barry for not organizing these guys better but the blame for Alexander's behaviour rest entirely with him. He needs to grow up, play better and leave the rest to the adults.

ChrisD's picture

January 04, 2024 at 05:58 pm

And hopefully that happens. I think it will.

NFLfan's picture

January 04, 2024 at 04:14 pm

I have come to trust Sr. journalist, Dianna Russini, @ the Athletic (she broke the Aaron Rodgers 'cut-block', Achilles story as well as the Jets secret decision to 'tank' after Rodgers went down.)

"Though head coach Matt LaFleur explained the decision to suspend Alexander came down to more than this situation, it’s unclear what other issues the Packers have been dealing with in the building"---

"Two league sources did share that Alexander isn’t considered “a problem child” in the organization, and even though he has dealt with injuries all season, he wants to play. In fact, it has been made very clear the Packers look forward to him being back in the lineup in Week 18 and being a part of the Packers future."

Then, she ends with her opinion: 'it could be a toss-up with this one"

Ferrari-Driver's picture

January 04, 2024 at 06:32 pm

I do believe the Packers management sent a clear message to Alexander. Additionally, that suspension cost Jaire one full game paycheck which is certainly not chump change by anyone's definition. This suspension not only sent a clear message to Alexander, but to every single player on the Packers squad. Football is a TEAM sport and a diva or player who is not on board with that philosophy detracts from the overall objective of having the Packers functioning as a smooth and effective unit making the whole better than the pieces.

On this post, I elect not to comment on the effectiveness or lack of effectiveness of the defensive coordinator which may play a part in the conduct and attitude of the defensive players. That is a potential topic for Gil to consider.

MitchAnthony's picture

January 04, 2024 at 11:47 pm

My guys? Just who are, your guys? Are they guys who are employed by and signed contracts with the Green Bay Packers? If so, how are they - your guys? Enlighten us.
As they say, there is no "I" in team but there is an "M" and an "E" and that spells ME. I get it, some veterans gather up a leadership position of sorts. But true sound veterans never let others lose site of who they are really playing for, especially those who they are guiding and mentoring. If professional adult communication is an issue he can take a Dale Carnegie course this off season.

Houndog's picture

January 05, 2024 at 07:30 am

Well said, Mitch!
Isn't "Me, Me, Me, Me, Me" an exercise for a singer to find the correct octave before a performance?
Ha, Performance, now there's a novel idea!
Dale Carnegie? LOL, that's hilarious.

Rossonero's picture

January 05, 2024 at 07:52 am

It's been said that adversity doesn't build character, it reveals character. I am weary of hearing people claiming to be a victim, or that they're being cancelled. Jaire could've done that, but he didn't.

He took it like a man, by taking ownership and being an adult about it. I like his humility and the fact that he said "if anything, it improved it" (referring to his relationship with the Packers).

Now, let's hope he can get his first INT against the Bears. He's due!

Since'61's picture

January 05, 2024 at 08:09 am

Communication is always the key in these situations. MLF and Barry need to continue to, check in with Alexander on an on going basis as they move forward and prevent further situations from occurring. It's basic management of top performers. My business partner and I made it a point to speak with our top performers at least once a week and often it was frequently than that. Also, it's critical that 2 way communication is encouraged and enabled.

Alexander, when healthy is a top performer on the Packers defense and for the entire team. They should maintain open 2 way communication with him at all times. An NFL team is not that big of a group and they see each other just about everyday during the season. It's a matter of committing do it and prioritizing it.
Thanks, Since '61

Cartwright's picture

January 05, 2024 at 08:40 am

The communication was simple. He probably got told that coach Barry is getting canned and Jaire probably said great, I will now play my heart out and even tackle too.

Hitnhope23's picture

January 05, 2024 at 04:51 pm

Talk is cheap, and JA knows how to spew it. His actions during the game will tell us what is really in his heart.