"I wouldn’t rule that out." Rodgers talks retirement.

Thankfully, it sounds like the Packers quarterback wants to avoid FavreWatch 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Aaron Rodgers has talked a lot this year about enjoying this season, soaking it all in and trying to stay in the moment.

Today, he was asked by Jason Wilde to clarify some remarks he made on the Pat McAfee Show yesterday, particularly about the possibility of retiring after this season is over.

Rodgers response:

I wouldn’t rule that out. I think that I’m just enjoying this season for this season. Playing next year will definitely be in the thought process. One of the things that, and you and I have obviously talked about this over the years, wanting to not be a bum on the way out and to still be able to play I think is important to me. If this year has taught me anything it’s that, you know, I still can play. I still have a love for the game. I’m still super competitive and still enjoy the process of the week.

I miss practice and it’s tough to not be out there, week after week now, but I still do love competing and I love being out there. There’ll be a lot of things that I weigh in the offseason. You know, saying that doesn’t mean, or any of the comments I’ve made doesn’t mean, I’m thinking about elsewhere. I do want to clarify that. The things I’ve said about the team this year, about Brian and I’s relationship has been heartfelt and genuine and I do appreciate a lot of the things I have seen from the team that are directly related to conversations we had in the offseason. That was meaningful to me. I’ve enjoyed being a part of conversations that directly affect my job, which I talked about in the offseason, and Brian’s taken a lead in that and I do appreciate the way our relationship has grown.

I have a lot of love for Matt and enjoy playing for him. I love my teammates. Coaching staff has been fantastic and they make it fun every single day and the guys is obviously what you play for and having Randall back has made this year exponentially greater for me, as far as happiness and going through the weeks and being able to spend time with him and Aiyda and the kids and it’s been really, really special. I’m just savoring this year, as much as anything. It won’t be something where I’ll drag it out for months and months. I’ll have conversations with my loved ones after the season, with Brian and Mark and Russ and the coaching staff and then make a decision at some point. You know, I’m not going to hold the team back from anything and once I commit, if it’s committing to move forward here, it’ll be a quick decision.

Thankfully, it sounds like he'd like to avoid FavreWatch 2: Electric Boogaloo.

You can listen to his remarks in full below:

CharlieHobart's picture

December 29, 2021 at 03:48 pm

Um, that’s electric BOOGaloo, good sir.

PackerAaron's picture

December 29, 2021 at 05:15 pm

I regret the error.

TarynsEyes's picture

December 29, 2021 at 04:01 pm

Setting the stage for an offseason sideshow.

December 29, 2021 at 09:18 pm

One of the rare instances where I couldn't agree more.

Rodgers uses Wilde and McAfee as opportunities to put out a desired message for an intended effect. I don't believe a word he says isn't carefully planned out before it leaves his lips.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

December 30, 2021 at 10:37 am

Only in the sense that a hall of fame player nearing the end of his career creates news when contemplating retirement. It's a question that interviewers ask and he answered it.

Bure9620's picture

December 29, 2021 at 04:30 pm

Oddly enough, I actually take him at his word here. I don't see Aaron Rodgers palying into decline, he's not Roethlisberger or Brees. When he is done and feels he is done, he will indeed be done. Rodgers has other interests, This will not be a Brett Favre sideshow.

Bitternotsour's picture

December 29, 2021 at 04:40 pm

yeah sure, because he's been nothing if not truthful...

sheesh.

Bitternotsour's picture

December 29, 2021 at 04:43 pm

This is the Vikings super bowl this Sunday. The crowning glory for their season will be to put AR on the IR (or in the ER).

Bearmeat's picture

December 29, 2021 at 04:55 pm

This is all 12 trying to control the narrative and the GB FO:

What he said: “I wouldn’t rule out retirement.”

What he meant: “If you sorry bums try to trade me to the Jaguars, I will go nuclear on your ass, leak every dirty little secret I can to the media for about 12 weeks, give a tanty/interview on McAfee in April, then maybe I’ll retire.”

He just wants to control where he goes after this year. Or, possibly, continue peeing on Gute’s tree to mark his dominance if the GB FO is convinced Love isn’t it.

Ya_tittle's picture

December 29, 2021 at 06:38 pm

Man, you're pathetic.

December 29, 2021 at 09:20 pm

No, he sees through Rodgers' facade and sees the actual game being played.

Coldworld's picture

December 30, 2021 at 08:38 am

I’ve always thought there is a chance Rodgers would walk away at some point. He’s clearly chafing at some aspects of life as an NFL player in the Covid era. We know he has money and other goals. We know he is aware of what had happened to other QBs not named Brady as they approach 40. I can’t really imagine Rodgers handling decline well, he’s too intense about performance.

That said, this was a pretty bland statement on a day where he railed at other things. It could be anything or nothing. The fact is, even unspoken it should have been obvious that it was one potential outcome. He referenced such thoughts in the off season. The reasons may evolve but that evidenced that the concept is in his mind. It could come to fruition soon or simply bubble until something else shifts his internal debate. That could be health, roster, money or something unrelated to football.

Bearmeat's picture

December 30, 2021 at 10:04 am

So was: "The Future is a Beautiful Mystery" in 2020. Until he decided to throw a 3 year old style Tanty from Feb through July.

So was 2018 when he decided not to play as well as he could to submarine MM. So was 2015 when he threw is WRs under the bus. And And And.

The dude is an all-timer throwing the football. He's a POS as a person. Over him on my favorite team, come what may.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

December 30, 2021 at 10:45 am

I'm glad he threw a tantrum, if it made the front office treat players better, communicate better, show the respect they deserve. And he wasn't wrong, as it turns out. Cobb helped win some important games, and he might still do that. Amari Rodgers certainly didn't do that. And he wasn't wrong about it being a beautiful mystery either. Not sure why him being a real human being chafes you so badly. He seems very well liked by coaches and teammates, seems to have a good relationship with the GB sports press and is well respected all around. And not just for how the throws the football.

Bearmeat's picture

December 30, 2021 at 10:58 am

Cobb was a complete waste of a trade. You don't trade for old, expensive, slow, and often hurt players. And sure enough? What happened? Cobb got hurt. SHOCKING I SAY! It was a bad move from a GM perspective. So glad 12 is the QB and not the GM. I do not want him having personnel power. Period.

I have no problem with him being a real human being. What I have a problem with is that he clearly believes himself to be the smartest guy in the room. Whatever room he's in. When it comes to being a QB on an NFL team, he is. Or one of the smartest, anyway. When it comes to LITERALLY everything else in this world? NOPE.

Look up The Dunning-Kruger effect, along with the greek myth of Narcissus. You'll find a picture of #12 under both.

barutanseijin's picture

December 30, 2021 at 01:55 pm

There are different GM perspectives, one of which is the short term, whatever-you-gotta do to win games now approach. It's not always about maximizing value. If the guy can help you win a game or two, fine.

Bearmeat's picture

December 30, 2021 at 08:45 pm

That’s true. I didn’t care for the trade of draft resources and the salary. But ok.

December 30, 2021 at 07:14 pm

RE: Showing players the respect they deserve; Being "right"

Rodgers talked a lot about the PAckers treating players like shit and disrespecting them. Among those players he called out by name, John Kuhn. A player who was so disrespected by the Packers organization that he is currently employed by the Packers. A guy who was actively employed by the Packers when Rodgers made the comment. Boy, he must be one pathetic human being to have to go work for the team that so utterly disrespected him as a player.

Also, it's been pretty widely discussed that most of the players Rodgers name dropped as being great players the packers let walk went on to do not a whole lot with the rest of their careers.

The world is filled with ex-nfl players who have spent time in Green bay during their careers, and by and large, the consensus is that the Green Bay Packers are a first class organization.

Bearmeat's picture

December 30, 2021 at 08:55 pm

Also, in his pre-camp rant, let’s remember all the “mistakes” 12 opined about. Every single one of them, save Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson (who were old and not good players anymore) were done by Ted Thompson, who is dead, or Russ Ball, who (deservedly) had his wings clipped after 2017.

So, what, exactly, is 12 mad at? There’s only one answer: Drafting his replacement. That’s what he’s mad at. And what we have heard about how he’s handled his business behind the scenes in the latter MM years… and his age… and how he played in 2018 and 2019… can you blame Gute?

Me either.

Demon's picture

December 30, 2021 at 11:01 am

Where do you (for lack of a better word) CLOWNS get these idiotic ideas from? Do you sit in your mothers basement making this stuff up? My lord this crap gets tiring!! You all claim to be Packer fans and I've seen many of you berate others for not being "real Packer fans", but you make these awful statements about the Packers QB.

Here's an idea, why not move out of your mother's basement, maybe ask a girl out on a date and find something to occupy your time that you may enjoy more than Packers football. I can't imagine any of you that have this deep seated hatred for the QB can enjoy the games very much

Give it a rest sheesh!

Bearmeat's picture

December 30, 2021 at 11:12 am

Yawn. Thanks for the ad hominem. Shows real intelligence...

You know what you don't get to judge? My fandom. I am a huge Packers fan, although admittedly I'm not living and dying with the wins and losses like I used to. Maybe some of that is from really disliking Rodgers. I guess I can't judge that.

I am not a huge Rodgers fanboi, just like I wasn't a huge Favre fanboi. I remember the summer of 08. I was raked over the coals - here and elsewhere, for DARING to say that Favre wasn't the Packers. I'm saying the same thing here. #12 isn't the Packers and come March, it will be past time to move on. Max out his value. Thank him for his time.

And ship his ass to the Jets for max compensation. Just like we did with Favre. Ted was right about Rodgers. Gute is right about Love - even if he doesn't become a franchise QB. #12 is 38 years old. It's past time.

Demon's picture

December 30, 2021 at 01:15 pm

You and the other trolls on here spew this complete bullshit because you don't like Aaron Rodgers. I would bet my next paycheck that you have never met the man.

I can't stand Joe Biden. The reason for that is he completely sucks at his job. It's not personal at all. Tell me Aaron Rodgers sucks at his job.

If the press conferences that Rodgers does bother you that much, a simple solution would be to not watch them.

I could give 2 shits what Rodgers says to a reporter. Show up and play football at the level we have gotten used to and all is good in Green Bay

December 30, 2021 at 07:19 pm

I see you complete avoid the crux of the response:

One player is not the Packers.

Time waits for no man.

It is time to move on.

December 30, 2021 at 01:47 pm

I know Bearmeat personally and you're about as far off as it gets.

Bearmeat's picture

December 30, 2021 at 01:58 pm

Admittedly, I did get a chuckle out of the mom's basement comment. I left Wisconsin for good in the Fall of 2000... heh heh.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

December 30, 2021 at 10:41 am

So what? After what he has done for this organization and GB fans, I could give a rat's behind about how he wants to control his exit. He should try to control his exit. He may very well be the best, most talented player ever to play for the Packers. He's got the top QB stats, at least the important ones. He's made the team competitive even when the rest of the squad was meh. Yeah, he should use whatever he has to make his ending go the way he'd like it to go.

December 30, 2021 at 04:54 pm

I doubt that AR is the most talented player to ever play for the Packers. This ignores the entire Ironman Era, when great players were great on BOTH sides of the ball. My Packers favorite from that era is Don Hutson - his stats speak for themselves. Even today, with the pass-happy league that we have, no WR has come within 25 TDs of his record. Hutson also led the league in interceptions. Great on BOTH sides of the ball.

Different skills are valued at different times. I would agree that Rodgers is the best QB we've had since 1975, when the rules were changed to favor the offense.

Qoojo's picture

December 29, 2021 at 04:59 pm

I wouldn't rule out retirement for myself this year too. But I like eating and having a roof to sleep under, so yea, I guess it's another year of work for me.

I don't see Rodgers retiring for another 3 years at least.

Handsback's picture

December 29, 2021 at 05:33 pm

When and where have we heard this song before? Oh yeah...last year after the NFC championship loss. It was a mystery at that point.
One game at a time and worry about the future QB once the season is over.

Gopack12's picture

December 29, 2021 at 05:39 pm

As I have said all year , he is not going anywhere, the Packers will extend him . How could you trade the best QB to ever play in the NFL and coming off back to back MVP seasons only to turn the franchise over to a project that may never pan out… the cap will go way up in a few years, so they can push the numbers further into the future knowing we can win a few more lombardi’s with the Rodgers Lafluer combo..

calabasa's picture

December 30, 2021 at 07:12 am

That’s the team’s hope, but do not underestimate his bitterness.

December 30, 2021 at 10:05 am

Don't be so sure the team's hope is to keep Rodgers long term.

I believe the Team's plan has been to move Rodgers while he has value and build the future.

Has been since 2018, maybe earlier, and I don't think current level of play affects their long term decision making.

December 30, 2021 at 07:48 pm

I have a former college housemate who lives in GB and has worked on the Packers [---] for over 20 years. He's in the offices at Lambeau regularly.

Curiously, he says that he thinks that the ARod situation isn't as terminal as some experts say...

December 30, 2021 at 07:34 pm

May I politely suggest you consider omitting what department your old friend works in? Organizations in the NFL tend to not like to hear that non-football employees are sharing football-related information to the outside world that end up on websites.

December 30, 2021 at 07:47 pm

I respect your point, Oppy, and will be as discerning as possible in the future.

flackcatcher's picture

December 30, 2021 at 12:31 pm

(sigh... One more time) Both Cap Man and Father Time are calling the tune in Green Bay. No matter what we hope, that reality is here after this season. The second Gutekunst decided to go all in, he knew nothing but a massive reload or soft rebuild or get the Packers under the Cap. And when the Cap crashed along with the double hit of Covid, it made a rebuild the only real path the front office had. All the media talking heads jabber on about the new TV revue. They seem to forget that the contract doesn't kick in till 2023, a full year from now. So what are the teams that do not have any extra cash to do. Can you say FIRE SALE. That's the financial climate that both Rodgers and Adams and yes Gute are dealing with. Enjoy this year. The future starts next year. (See TGR articles on the Cap. They are completely brutal when it comes to Cap number that the Packers must deal with. Then extend his numbers to the rest of the league. We may be looking at movement on a scale unheard of since 'plan B')

Gopack12's picture

December 31, 2021 at 10:00 am

You can restructure and push numbers in to the future when the cap goes up.. and that’s what they will do considering we have the best of all time playing at an mvp level.. you must be one of those guys with an underground bunker and 10 years of canned food preparing for Armageddon

Gopack12's picture

December 31, 2021 at 10:06 am

The teams plans to move on from Rodgers in 2018 were real but that was before 2 mvps….Now there is no chance they will let him go …are you really confident we can hand the team over to Jordan love and not skip a beat… thankfully our fo is smarter than this

December 31, 2021 at 10:13 am

Can I have some of those reality-denying drugs that you're on?

13TimeChamps's picture

December 31, 2021 at 11:41 am

"knowing we can win a few more lombardi’s with the Rodgers Lafluer combo.."

Don't they have to win ONE first?

Leatherhead's picture

December 29, 2021 at 07:04 pm

Retirement is nice, but you still should have a reason to get up in the morning.

This is it. We’re seeing his last couple of games as a Packer. I hope we win the Super Bowl and we get great compensation in trade. I hope he’s the MVP and the Super Bowl MVP.

Swisch's picture

December 29, 2021 at 07:06 pm

Maybe Rodgers could have said something like, "At this time, I'm totally focused on winning the next Super Bowl. Why would I become a distraction to myself and others when there's so much at stake right now? It's not about me but about the Green Bay Packers and our fans."

The_Justicar's picture

December 29, 2021 at 07:51 pm

Well, because it is about him. That is why.

Bitternotsour's picture

December 29, 2021 at 08:02 pm

well. that would be WAY out of character.

miami or denver or the raiders, i really don't care. win the super bowl and move that show to another town where it isn't quite so stale.

December 30, 2021 at 01:51 pm

Cleveland...Pittsburgh. And that's just the AFC. If you're committed to dealing him and can get your best package/price from an NFC team that he'll agree to go to, I'm all for it.

StantheFan's picture

December 30, 2021 at 12:19 am

Maybe he can answer the question however he damn well pleases 🤷‍♂️

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

December 30, 2021 at 10:51 am

You'd rather have the non-authentic, fake answer from an athlete instead of an honest one? That at this point in his career, he wouldn't rule out retirement? Rodgers can deflect the media when he needs to, but I've found him to be very open and honest and kind of emotional throughout his pressers this year. It is refreshing to listen to him actually answer questions with some thought instead of mouthing platitudes like McCarthy used to.

flackcatcher's picture

December 30, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Hmmmm.. I was always fond of "Pad Level too High" :-)

December 30, 2021 at 04:57 pm

Open and honest? I have a bridge in Milwaukee that I'd like to sell you.

December 30, 2021 at 07:24 pm

The bridge to nowhere actually goes somewhere now, Jurp.

December 31, 2021 at 10:11 am

Yeah I know - I'm from Milwaukee, though I rarely admit it :) But where that bridge goes to is just an average South Side neighborhood, with not much to do and nothing to see.

crayzpackfan's picture

December 31, 2021 at 12:17 pm

For the same reason he said “He” owns the Bears rather than “We” own you. He has very little interest in anyone outside of his very small inner circle. The media and his teammates are just tools he uses to advance his own agenda. That agenda seems clear to me to be individual pursuits. I’m fine with individual pursuits as long as is it doesn’t involve being such a dick to everyone. I “love” having him as our quarterback, but I don’t really “like” him as a person.

Lphill's picture

December 29, 2021 at 07:09 pm

If only they kept Van Pelt as his QB coach , letting him go was a Gute power move.

December 30, 2021 at 10:09 am

The GM doesn't make assistant coaching staff decisions in GB.

The only example of assistant coach tampering by front office in 30 years in GB was Murphy making the stipulation that Pettine remain as DC for a year under new HC hire LeFleur.

flackcatcher's picture

December 30, 2021 at 12:45 pm

The Packers have not been open about if it was Murphy or Gutekunst that made the keeping of Pettine a condition of Lafleur's hire. The Packer's lack of transparency that has now extended into the football side of operations is a slap at fans of this football team.

December 30, 2021 at 07:25 pm

Murphy stated it openly.

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

December 30, 2021 at 10:53 am

He seems to love Getsy, so I don't think that's any issue at all.

December 30, 2021 at 01:56 pm

I think that if Hackett moves on, Getsy is your next OC and they promote Stenavich to associate head coach.

MarkinMadison's picture

December 29, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Nags - I'm a little surprised that you are doing this look-ahead article.

I can't see him retiring, but you never really know.

I can't see him staying. If he stays, no matter how much they try to push the money into the future the reality is that they will have to shed a lot of players. I can't see Rodgers showing up to suffer through an 9-8 team while breaking in new receivers and watching a defense be re-built. The Packers pushed their chips onto the table last year and this year. The time to pay the piper is two months away.

So we got one option left...

calabasa's picture

December 30, 2021 at 07:15 am

If he really wants to win a SB and stays in GB, he should follow Brady’s lead and take a pay cut so the team can add talent. Don’t hold your breath…

December 30, 2021 at 04:58 pm

Well, if he stays, he'd better build some of that trust of his with Amari Rodgers or he'll have no one to pass to until late in the season.

Gopack12's picture

December 31, 2021 at 10:10 am

Do you get tv reception in that underground bunker of yours…

Crankbait's picture

December 30, 2021 at 03:39 am

I predict the MVP goes to Taylor, Packers win one playoff game, and Rodgers stays with Packers.

December 30, 2021 at 11:52 am

I don't. The kids of today still need a Hero. Rodgers will win it.

December 30, 2021 at 02:44 pm

There are an awful lot of writers out there who have gone on record saying that non-QBs shouldn't win the MVP in the modern NFL. That's a voting bloc that will be hard for Taylor to get over.

December 30, 2021 at 04:59 pm

Those writers are idiots, but I agree with you.

HarryHodag's picture

December 30, 2021 at 08:34 am

While you can never be certain what AR is thinking, a comment he made shortly after the season began stuck with me. He said he was 50-50 about retiring but decided to give it one more shot.

In business the old axiom is when you're thinking about leaving you've already left. I think he's going to hang it up. What more does he have to prove? Tom Brady is a freak show but you might be seeing him slip a bit this year. It's better to leave early than leave too late. OK, so the Packers trade him to Denver. New system, new players, new coaches. What does that accomplish? When Brady went to Tampa they already had a great team in place needing a QB. I don't see that great team out there.

Rodgers has a full life out of football. He's financially set. How about a broken leg like Alex Smith endured? Is that the way he wants to end his career?

I'm thinking he's riding this out this year and then he retires.

December 30, 2021 at 02:40 pm

"In business the old axiom is when you're thinking about leaving you've already left."

I agree on that front...look at Big Ben. My understanding was he was ready to hang it up, but they talked him into one more year. He's not been any better than his backup...age? Commitment? Both?

Gopack12's picture

December 31, 2021 at 09:51 am

Your comparing Big Ben to Rodgers… come on man… Rodgers is currently the best QB in the league right now…Big Ben is not even at top 20 at this point …

December 31, 2021 at 10:09 am

In 2018, Ben threw for the most yards in the league, with a rating of 97.5. And now, three years later, he's not quite a shadow of his former self (rate is just over 90 at the moment), but he's clearly in decline.

2018 was just three seasons ago, and yes, Ben missed most of 2019 with injury, which can happen to any player at any time.

We can sign AR to a huge, mostly guaranteed contract through 2025, and he could be in Ben's shoes in 2023 or 2024. This is more likely than that he'll be another Brady until he's in his 40s. And this is also what Rodgers has stated he wants to avoid.

Imagine the dead money in the final two years of a contract like that - it would set GB up for failure for the rest of the decade.

Change is coming.

Gopack12's picture

December 31, 2021 at 09:49 am

So he already left and goes out and wins another MVP … makes a lot of sense

December 30, 2021 at 11:46 am

He won't retire unless the abuse from the press dictates it. (Per Gossip that is untrue, and full of character assassination.) Why wouldn't he keep Retirement as a Option? Rodger's wants to be the favorite Packer of All Time. And as we already know. He's the Packers greatest player of all time. ( currently.) And As much as Bart Starr was my Hero growing up. Todays NFL isn't the innocent naive thinking, " I thought when I was a kid. " So I hope he comes back.

HarryHodag's picture

December 30, 2021 at 02:39 pm

Don Hutson is arguably the greatest Packer.

The line of 'greatest' players is long in Green Bay. Rodgers is certainly up there.

December 30, 2021 at 05:00 pm

I agree, but I wouldn't use the word "arguably" in this context. Hutson was the greatest Packer ever. Period.

Philarod's picture

December 30, 2021 at 07:26 pm

I'm not sure how his statement or this article changes things.
(Hey, I realize that Rodgers stance on vaccination -- which I disagree with -- has affected some.)

Generally, I think that Rodgers is honest, introspective and a great interview.
He also, almost always, praises his teammates and coaches, and while looked upon by some as either arrogant or aloof, appears to be very highly respected by both teammates and opponents. Since he ended his "holdout", I don't remember one statement critical of coaches or the front office. Once back, he's been all-in, and still the best QB in the game, despite every adversity he and his team has faced.

So yes, all his options are on the table -- retire, stay or go -- and while I hope he stays, I can wait for the offseason to find out.

December 30, 2021 at 02:17 pm

I wouldnt rule out trading Love.

HarryHodag's picture

December 30, 2021 at 02:42 pm

Many have speculated about trading Love. I think that will happen IF Rodgers returns and IF the Packers can some how figure out how to fit him into the salary cap.

Jordan Love deserves a chance to prove himself. If it's clear he can't cut it, then the Packers must move on.

A couple of websites are saying if the Packers get the first round bye Love will start against the Lions.

December 30, 2021 at 02:46 pm

If everything is locked up week 18, I think they have to sit QB1 against the Lions. I don't see any benefit to playing him in that scenario, and they have to get him back to the point where he can practice again.

December 30, 2021 at 05:03 pm

I agree that they definitely need to sit Rodgers in that situation, if for nothing else than to give him an extra week to get healthy. Let's hope we destroy the Vikes and that the Cards do the same to the Cowboys. With LA's resurgence, the Cards may not win their division with another loss, so let's hope that motivates them.

December 30, 2021 at 05:04 pm

Trading Love is ridiculous, if for no other reason that we need a competent backup to Rodgers. Do you really think Benkert is better than Love? If so - WHY?

December 30, 2021 at 07:38 pm

He's white.

December 31, 2021 at 09:51 am

Yeah, I kind of figured that's where Stockholder was going. *sigh*

December 31, 2021 at 11:19 pm

I'm not saying that's where Stockholder's head is at.

But I will say, there seems to be a pattern with some Green Bay fans to staunchly support the majority of the back up QBs, but there's automatic skepticism and out-right dislike if the complexion becomes too saturated.

January 01, 2022 at 01:43 pm

Love is going in the 3rd year of his contract. If Rodgers wins the MVP and Comes back. Who Starts? It won't be LOVE. They should trade him.

Gopack12's picture

December 31, 2021 at 10:43 am

The issue is we used a first round pick and traded up to get a backup QB.. if we can somehow get a second round pick for love I would take it otherwise keep him as a backup and let his contract run out

December 30, 2021 at 07:49 pm

Beyond the point made below (If you trade love, who is your backup QB),
there is a bigger issue at hand that most seem to dismiss or are unaware of if we keep Rodgers going forward.

Rodgers just stated that he wouldn't want to slowly dwindle and go out limping, he only wants to play as long as he's still a top competitor.

We already know that the rule, not the exception, in pro football is that when a player hits the wall, it's often sudden and brutal. The day comes where you simply look old out there on the field.

You've got a guy in Rodgers who:

A) Is 38 years old
B) says he isn't interested in playing through decline
C) For some reason is already talking about the possibility of retiring after the season

My question to all of the "The Packers must extend Rodgers at any cost" people, including trading Love: How do you prepare for a transition at QB for the future of the franchise if you extend Rodgers? If you let Love go?

Do you suggest the Packers simply don't even look at a potential franchise QB until Rodgers wakes up one morning and says, "Yeah, I'm not going to play anymore"?

If not, do you really think Rodgers is going to be okay with the Packers spending another high draft selection on a QB in another year or two?

You are just fine with the Packers doing NOTHING to prepare for what is now an inevitable departure of Aaron Rodgers? If it's not 2022, when do you think it's going to happen?

Gopack12's picture

December 31, 2021 at 09:41 am

Rodgers is coming off back to back MVPs, which means he is currently the best player in the NFL ..we have at least another 3 years to plan for the heir apparent.. that’s why so many people threw up their arms with the Love pick at that point…and its become obvious that we were right… imagine this team if we traded up to get Justin Jefferson instead of love….. now we are talking about trading Love for what , maybe a 3 round pick…Gute needs to own up to the mistake and cut bait…
We can win a SB this year and a few more after that if we keep Rodgers and Lafluer together… worry about the heir apparent in 2025

December 31, 2021 at 09:54 am

Why do you think we can win the SB next year if we keep Rodgers? We didn't win on last year with Rodgers, and we may not win one this year with Rodgers (not saying it'll be Rodgers' fault if we don't - I'd put "injuries" as our number one SB-related issue), and without the bulk of our heavy-hitters next year and with a bunch more JAGS due to the salary cap, how can we win one next year?

Love will the starter sooner rather than later. It's probably time for you and others like you to begin living with that reality.

December 31, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Gopack12, are you a relatively young guy, or relatively old guy?

How old were you when the Favre/Rodgers transition happened?

Can you imagine if the Packers would have "owned up to the mistake" of taking Rodgers in the draft and cut/traded him after his 2nd year in the league?

It is amazing to me how there is example after example of young players for the Packers being ridiculed as busts early in their career only to become pivotal, top tier talent.. and some fans never learn the lesson.

December 31, 2021 at 09:57 am

Oppy, too many people think change is bad and live in a reality where doing nothing, if not outright regressing, is always the best policy.

January 01, 2022 at 01:47 pm

Too many people are fans of the number on the jersey and not fans of the jersey itself.

January 01, 2022 at 02:26 pm

You guys are such Rodgers haters. You only see the $$$ signs. I wasn't impressed with Love at All. Sure he needs reps. But Look at what goes on practice field. You practice like you play. Rodgers Makes this whole team better. And I say; it's already showing with sloppy play by the secondary. By the time you get done paying him to sit on his butt. I believe a younger guy will be needed. And you seem to forget a veteran was already brought in. Until Rodgers committed to come back. Lets stick to football and not assumptions.

January 01, 2022 at 03:52 pm

Purely football:

Rodgers is 38, already talking about potential retirement, and the team is $50M over the cap in 2022.

It is hard to find a way to keep Rodgers without the team deteriorating around him- including losing the only WR on the team he actually trusts.

January 01, 2022 at 05:12 pm

The NFL will increase the Cap. Public Attendance is up. It's to soon to say how this will play out. If Adams wants to test the market, he's gone. Otherwise expect talk of the Franchise tag. Rodgers won't retire, unless Gutey tries to trade him. The Trade Talk is why the Retirement came up. And if TT settled for a 3rd from the jets, ( for Favre.) Don't expect anything pass a 2 and 3 now. (per retirement Talk) Regardless! (And what about the fit in a new club? ) Gutey still has to wait on the status of Bahk, and Z. Smith. Well, If they can't make it back on the field. Gutey cut Daniels and Nick Perry. (That Just might be the option again)

January 01, 2022 at 06:18 pm

The answer is simple and obvious. Deal Rodgers and build for the future.

January 02, 2022 at 09:02 am

The only way to win is go all in. Wolf brought that mentality to the packers. Forget the rebuild. A player isn't going to want to come here if they don't win. Gutey has had a lot of failed picks. But his best job is finding veterans, who replace his failures.

January 02, 2022 at 10:46 pm

Lots of big talk from Rodgers about how vets want to come to GB to play with him, but the facts are there's a long list of vets who didn't come to GB over the last 15 years because some other team paid them more.

If there's no money, no big FA's come. Period.

Packerlifer's picture

January 01, 2022 at 01:21 pm

I suppose if you ask any 38 year old qb near the end of a long, grueling season and playing with a painful pinky toe and probably with some lingering effects of covid, which he won't admit to, about retirement he would probably say "Maybe."

Ask him about getting killed in a car crash and he might say "Possibly." That's all his remarks indicate. There's a difference between speaking theoretically about a hypothetical situation and announcing a decided intention.

I'm glad he says he's not going to put us all through another extended drama fit like last year but that's no guarantee he'll remember his promise. A lot of last year was just media speculation and attention seeking by media anyway.

He's under contract in Green Bay through 2022 so if he wants to play in the NFL the Packers still hold the cards.