Gut Reactions: Packers wrap preseason up against Chiefs

Aaron's gut reactions to the Packers final preseason game in Kansas City

• Tough sledding early from both lines going up against the Chiefs starters. Welcome to the NFL, guys.
  • Jake Hanson in particular had a rough go of it early on.
  • Really liked what we saw with Amari Rodgers being utilized out of the backfield.
  • Amari looked solid on returns as well...when anyone in front of him bothered to block.
  • Oh, special teams, it really does feel like we'll be holding our breath all year every time they're out there. Again.
  • Quay Walker. Yes.
  • Winfree, Doubs and Toure all had some really nice moments.
  • Tariq Carpenter had a great open field tackle on one play right before being caught completely flat-footed and giving up an easy TD almost immediately after.
  • Was nice to see Tyler Davis get that reception at the end of the first half after his rough performances in the first two preseason games.
  • Jordan Love simply can not throw that ball that ends in the interception.
  • Loved seeing Josh Meyers out in front during that Goodson touchdown, but he also looked responsible on that toss play that got blown up behind the line of scrimmage.
  • Speaking of Goodson, loved that TD run but he looked overmatched in pass pro and had that brutal drop as a kick returner. Tough way to head into cut down week.
  • The Packers have been dealing with a bunch of injuries at safety but it may have opened up a path for Micah Abernathy. Really think they have something there. Loved his aggressiveness in the red zone on that near-interception.
  • Green Bay seemed to get pushed around up front on both sides of the ball all night.
  • To that point, I really - REALLY - hope Bakhtiari and Jenkins are good to go for Week 1.
  • Gutekunst and the personnel group have some decisions to make, but not really anything too tough. This roster is pretty set outside of four or five deep depth spots.
  • Roll on Week 1.
  • Go Pack Go.

Tundraboy's picture

August 25, 2022 at 09:56 pm

Toure had a lot of excellent catches. He's got IT, very fluid runner. He has to make the 53

pack69go's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:08 pm

I concur! If they waive him there is no way he makes it through waivers.

Coldworld's picture

August 26, 2022 at 12:09 am

I do not want him in Chicago. They are likely going to be scouring for speed and versatility.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

August 26, 2022 at 08:46 am

I have been singing Toure's praises most of training camp. Both Doubs and Toure seem to have the talent. Toure has to stay on 53, or he likely is gone. I really like the upside for this young WR group with Doubs, Toure, Amari, and Watson. I think that by the end of the season we will have a good idea about the future for Lazard. I still think the Pack should draft another WR next year on day 2 of the draft to compliment these young WR's.

RochesterPacker's picture

August 25, 2022 at 09:58 pm

Not so SPECIAL teams. I find myself wanting to yell at the TV based on their play.

Minniman's picture

August 25, 2022 at 09:58 pm

Looks like we can expect to see a clunky season opener again (like last year) as the 1’s play their first game of the year.

Chris Slayton did some good things tonight - plenty of hustle to the ball. Same too Engabare.

pack69go's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:08 pm

Me TOOO1

LeotisHarris's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:03 pm

It was nice to watch football on a Thursday night.

Getting pushed around in the trenches can mean only one thing. Yep, pad level.

It's a long season ahead and I feel good about this team. Time to prepare to hand a September Super Bowl loss to the NFL franchise from Minnesota.

MarkinMadison's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:13 pm

Special Teams were painful to watch. Coach B's press conference last week was wonderful to watch. I hope he can get these units together, because they are giving up chunks of yardage and not gaining much.

Carpenter looks lost and he is a misfit toy. And I don't see him as a special teams ace either. So how does he make this 53?

Lots of rookie and 2nd year OL struggling tonight.

Heflin and Chris Slayton both pushing for a spot. Not sure either makes it.

mrtundra's picture

August 26, 2022 at 01:57 pm

Carpenter had the best STs tackle, of the preseason, last night.

GBPDAN1's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:23 pm

It's only preseason, and there were some positives, but watching the Special teams is disheartening. It wouldn't matter if Bill Belichick coached our special teams, they seem like they would still stink. It was also a bummer watching our first round DT getting pushed around 2 weeks in a row.
I also agree with Naggs, we need one or both of out OTs, Bakhtiari or Jenkins, for week one, or Rodgers is going to be under fire

Bure9620's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:30 pm

Agreed, ST was bad. I was not paying attention to the personnel on the coverage units , but it will be interesting to see how many 3rd teamers were out there tonight when we look at the snap counts. Many of them will not make the team.

Packers1985's picture

August 25, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Oh man i thought Wyatt would be a day 1 starter of all our draft picks this year and really sad to see him getting pushed so easily.
Coming to Our Ot's yes we definitely need either of our Starting Ot's back otherwise it'll be a long day week 1 on viqueens land.

PatrickGB's picture

August 26, 2022 at 09:07 am

Wyatt might have been overdrafted based on where he played college football. He does not look like a first round pick. Yet I don’t think that the packers drafted him because of his size and strength. Perhaps it’s his ability to move that caught the scouts eyes.

Swisch's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Games are fun, even in the preseason.
It seems too long until we start the regular season September 11th.

August 25, 2022 at 10:26 pm

Tonight's game was good for blogs. Not too many of the bubble guys went out and took the bull by the horns. I'd say that Heflin and Toure, did. Amari did enough. Hanson was a lock so his bad outing won't matter. The whole OL got manhandled by the first team KC defensive line. No push on runs, though the pass pro wasn't bad. None of the CBs stepped up. Gaines got hurt, again. Abernathy didn't do anything to hurt his chances. Carpenter can't play D, but he might get in on STs. Given how bad the STs were, it is something of a leap of faith to award roster spots to guys for ST play. I suppose not considering ST play in GB's roster decision leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy of poor STs, but geez, it looks like GB might have lousy STs even with awarding multiple roster spots to guys who can't play on D or Offense.

I wonder how much the preseason games even matter? Per Wied, "Malik Turner was claimed by Dal in '20, DeShone Kizer was claimed by Oak in '19, Natrell Jamerson was claimed by Car in '19, Taysom Hill was claimed by NO in '17, Brian Price was claimed by Dal in '17, Jordan Tripp was signed by Atl in '17, Christian Ringo was claimed by Cin in '17."

Couple of those guys are still in the league. I didn't check but I don't think any of them became starters or even significant rotational guys. EDIT: Obviously, Taysum Hill is having a nice little niche career.

Johnblood27's picture

August 26, 2022 at 07:47 am

Preach it Jimmy!

Swisch's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:26 pm

Jordan Love can throw the football well to anywhere on the field.

Johnblood27's picture

August 26, 2022 at 07:47 am

The question is which color jersey will catch it?

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

August 26, 2022 at 08:49 am

Funny JB!

He will get better but following behind Rodgers is going to be tough for EVERY QB.

coolhand's picture

August 26, 2022 at 09:40 am

I thought Etling showed a good arm and just as good if not better feet and accuracy.

mrtundra's picture

August 26, 2022 at 01:59 pm

I keep saying that Love reminds me more of Favre than he does of Rodgers.

Coldworld's picture

August 26, 2022 at 02:12 pm

Not necessarily a bad thing. Somewhere in between would be better.

Swisch's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:27 pm

If necessary, Jordan Love could lead the Packers to 10 wins this season and the playoffs.

JohnnyLogan's picture

August 25, 2022 at 11:42 pm

I don't think so. He looks like a below-average starter. Three years in and still doesn't inspire. He's got a little Cutler in him in that you expect the other team will be handed the ball at some point. Also, not very mobile. Does hang in the pocket decently at times but doesn't seem to go through his reads. He just never makes those wow plays that lead you to believe there's more to come.

Then again, for two years I thought we should cut Davante and I thought e-mail was stupid when it first came out. If you want to talk to someone just call him.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

August 26, 2022 at 08:52 am

Swish,
I agree with you about Love. He has the ability to lead the team to a lot of wins. He just needs one full year of playing time to get to where he needs to be. There will be growing pains and he would definitely have his ups and downs for sure until he gets that needed game experience. With the way the Packers OL has been looking and the Vikings pass rush Love may be a reality much sooner than any of us would hope for. Need DB and Jenkins playing week 1.

splitpea1's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:30 pm

Silly me, I thought we were going to watch players play a football game instead of an endless sideshow and endless interviews by a sideline reporter. So I said to hell with it in the third quarter and instead watched the local baseball team come back for one of the most improbable victories you'll ever see.

Love has certainly made progress this preseason, but throwing those balls in the middle of the field that have a 90% chance of being intercepted...I don't get it. He also needs to work on his accuracy on shorter throws toward the sideline.

Toure looking real good. Ditto for the ILBs.

O'Donnell looking real good, too. The rest of special teams: well, Bisaccia knew he had his work cut out for him.

Abernathy led the team in tackles; Gaines has a hamstring again. Still, one of the best reasons to look forward to the regular season is to see starting DBs out there and putting those preseason coverage mishaps in the rear view mirror.

Swisch's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Love may have risked the throw deep down the middle of the field that was intercepted near the end of the first half because of so little time on the clock.

PewAuKeeFan's picture

August 25, 2022 at 11:16 pm

My thoughts exactly too.

Oppy's picture

August 26, 2022 at 08:08 am

Absolutely, he was pushing to try and make a play before the half.

Still not a good decision, but the silver lining is, at least from the telecast angle, that wasn't a horribly off ball- he just put it out a little too far in front of the WR. You just can't do that with bracket coverage.

Love made numerous -beautiful- throws dropping a picture perfect deep ball inbetween the coverage and the safety this preseason, but this one got away from him.

He's clearly got the arm. He needs seasoning. Only one way you get that.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

August 26, 2022 at 08:55 am

Swish,
Agreed!

Didn't like it happening but with such little time the end result was not catastrophic. He will learn!

PatrickGB's picture

August 26, 2022 at 09:13 am

I give him a “pass” on that one. Yet there were two-three throws where he overthrew his receivers. You could look at that a couple of ways. It’s good that the ball got there (strength) but not so good that it was overthrown (accuracy). Again, we still don’t know just how good he will be in time.

GregC's picture

August 26, 2022 at 04:48 am

Yeah, the sideline interviews drive me nuts too, and the one with Aaron Rodgers last night was the worst because it went on and on and on. Kevin Harlan could not stop fawning over Rodgers. I wish the players would refuse to give interviews while their teammates are on the field, but I suppose they are expected to. I think the Matt LaFleur interview even bled into the action this time.

Coldworld's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:35 pm

Rodgers had his best game. However despite a ton of snaps, 4 catches for I think 39 yards. Toure on a lot less had 84 yards, got open and was blatantly tackled on another that might possibly have led to a score. Winfree did not have as good a night in that he couldn’t take chances. That’s not even a close competition.

Rodgers is not a dynamic returner on the evidence of that game. Time to risk Doubs? Certainly I’d rather see Goodson’s talent running all those Rodgers backfield plays.

Abernathy was tackled in a potential break up or even interception. He is possibly going to make this Roster, but we need another.

Our back up OLBs were pretty anonymous. We need some help.

I am really struggling to see in what way Hanson is a starter. Additionally, is Tom really not better than Newman at T? If not try Jones, but the Hanson/Newman combination should be cut.

Davis at least showed up with a nice catch. He has no competition currently on the roster.

Love looked better than I’ve seen. I don’t know about that call, with Mack as the deep guy, but I saw it as essentially a Hail Mary scenario.

Overall, I’m disappointed that no ILB or CB showed up. Gute needs to get busy. Maybe Abernathy was a plus.

Hyam, Canella and Walker (T) helped themselves get on the PS as did Slayton. Heflin made a strong case for a roster spot again. I don’t see how though.

That was the worst officiating I’ve seen since the strike

croatpackfan's picture

August 26, 2022 at 11:18 am

Agree with you Coldworld. Especially with officiating assessment... That no call on OPI on Abernathy is ... wow ... I can't find a word how to call that call...

August 25, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Why does every team's TEs, look better than ours? Do we have a safety that knows when to cover a TE? Toure belongs on this team. Winfree always has a crowd around him. But he got Love going with a nice catch. Why does Love throw high to Doubs? Amari is No RB. But he did help his cause. ( It's not going to get any easier going against the #1 Cbs.) So far, your game changers are Rookies. And if that OL blocks like that in the red Zone. Rodgers will come unglued! Goodson also made this club. I loved the TD! Can we just kick the ball in the end Zone?

Doug_In_Sandpoint's picture

August 26, 2022 at 07:09 am

Stock, we kicked it in the end zone and there was so little respect for our coverage unit they came out anyway. And successfully at that. They even wanted to run it out when 11 yards deep in the end zone. Best bet might just be kicking it out of bounds every time and give them the ball on the 40.

August 26, 2022 at 07:30 am

All but 1. But I should have wrote. Out of the end -Zone. I heard Ahmad could do that. But he didn't do that.
When Crosby comes back. Kicking out of bounds; might be for the best.

jannes bjornson's picture

August 26, 2022 at 12:49 pm

As you mentioned a lack of TE talent. They and the LBs provide the better sp teams guys. The gunners should be OK, once Rich sets the Game Day units up on Wednesday.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

August 26, 2022 at 08:58 am

I really like Taylor as that #3 back for blocking, tough yards, and ST's. However, I think it would be easier to put him on practice squad and retain him vs Goodson. I just don't see the Pack doing this though because with the porous OL they need a guy like Taylor to keep Rodgers clean should Dillon go down.

jannes bjornson's picture

August 26, 2022 at 12:50 pm

Keep four RBs.

Tundraboy's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:49 pm

btw. The Chief's Television Network was the worst I have ever experienced. The majority of broadcast was filled with split screen ,sidelines and broadcast booth interviews. At one point a Packer player was injured and other than a brief comment that there was a player down went right back to the Chief's Fan club segments.

Sure I was able to watch the entire game, but I suffered. Oh and the Special Teams.

mrtundra's picture

August 26, 2022 at 02:04 pm

Yes, the TV coverage by the Chiefs crew was not good. I'm wondering why we had to endure their coverage when Kevin Harlan and John KUUUUUUUUhn were there. Must have had something to do with Len Dawson dying, I bemoaned the lack of talk regarding the Packers players, from the Chiefs crew. So typical of the NFL, IMO.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

August 25, 2022 at 10:52 pm

It would be nice to see at least adequate Special Teams play very soon.

FITZCORE1252's picture

August 25, 2022 at 11:04 pm

You folks gotta mute the TV and turn Wayne and Larry on the radio, it's easy to sync up. No way I'm listening to home announcers bloviate about their team.

PatrickGB's picture

August 26, 2022 at 09:18 am

I did that for the first time. Boy oh boy are you right about that. There was a slight amount of homerism from the announcers but all in all it was a superior take and more entertaining.

GregC's picture

August 26, 2022 at 05:12 am

No big revelations last night, except maybe Samori Toure. I thought he was going to be the odd man out at WR, but now I wonder if he could beat out Juwann Winfree, who looked kind of pedestrian out there. Eight WRs is too much, but I'm thinking they keep seven. And Toure has more upside than Winfree.

It was good to see Amari Rodgers finally get open over the middle and make a couple of catches there, and he looked pretty good coming out of the backfield. But he had probably already made the team before last night anyway.

The OL was not the disaster I had feared it could be during the preseason, but now I'm wondering if the pass blocking looked decent because opponents were just rushing four on every play--the same reason the Packer defense's pass rush didn't look good.

Jordan Love's three performances all followed the same arc: A slow start, then he got rolling for awhile, then faded toward the end. I'm hoping the fades were due to playing with deeper backups as the games went on. But overall, he looked a little better each time, and he should have a fair chance at winning some games if called upon this season.

I'm not sure if Kiondre Thomas (or anyone else) did anything to earn the sixth CB spot. Maybe they will go with five. The #4 and #5 guys are both slot types, but Rasul Douglas can always switch to the outside if Alexander or Stokes gets knocked out of a game.

I guess the #4 safety job should go to Micah Abernathy, who may have made another splash play if he hadn't been held on that goal-line play that went for a TD.

I saw three uncalled facemask penalties during the game (two by KC, one by the Packers). It was not so surprising that the game ended on an uncalled pass interference penalty. Call me crazy, but I really wanted to see if Danny Etling could end the game with a TD drive and two-point conversion attempt.

I agree with Aaron Nagler that it was nice to see Tyler Davis make a catch, to end the preseason on a slight up note. He appears to be the #4 TE by default.

Bearmeat's picture

August 26, 2022 at 05:20 am

Love has progressed to the point that I worry that 12 will stick around after this year. And we will lose him. He is going to be a starter and a good one in the league. Go with the young guy Mark Murphy!

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

August 26, 2022 at 09:01 am

BM,
Thanks for being so bold with all the AR fans here. Will see what happens this season but in agreement. JL has shown enough upside he needs to be retained. A lot can happen this season and if Love gets to play in say 3-5 games I think we will see a player get better and better.

barutanseijin's picture

August 26, 2022 at 11:11 am

Agreed.

I get that from the showbiz angle, Rodgers puts butts in seats & eyeballs to the screen. However, i don’t think they have a snowball’s chance in hell of winning another super bowl with Rodgers at QB. Might as well play Love.

In any case, these things often play out through injuries. The older player gets hurt and the new guy steps in.

Coldworld's picture

August 26, 2022 at 01:53 pm

This year Love seemed to me to be ahead of where Rodgers was in his second preseason but not consistently where Rodgers was in his third on a regular basis. I think the team saw it as a lot better than many here would wish though. Ultimately, I’d say it ended with greater evidence of upside but still incomplete. That will be enough to keep the team happy.

Bearmeat's picture

August 26, 2022 at 02:33 pm

Covid wiped out Love's progression in his rookie year, then the injury in his 2nd preseason. He also was younger (and rougher) than 12 coming in and didn't have nearly the offseason schedule that 12 did. I think there is plenty of upside that you HAVE to let the pick play out.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

August 27, 2022 at 09:19 am

BM,
Agree but also didn't Rodgers have the advantage of those QB camps that the union basically kabooshed? These QB camps were long gone by the time Love came into the NFL.

Bure9620's picture

August 26, 2022 at 06:01 am

Jake Hanson feels like offensive version of Kyler Fackrell in his first 2 years to me. A player the Packers coaching staff really likes that looks like they don't belong in the NFL. I saw a guy who cannot really anchor getting pushed around a lot.

Coldworld's picture

August 26, 2022 at 01:55 pm

Maybe Andy Herman should contribute a piece explaining why we should all appreciate the play he vaunted?

NJ-RICK's picture

August 26, 2022 at 06:55 am

Pre season is finally over Thank God, Now FIRE GUTE..!!!!!!!

Oppy's picture

August 26, 2022 at 08:10 am

Why?

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

August 26, 2022 at 09:03 am

Fire Gute?

Who has been instrumental with all the 13 & 3 seasons and NFC North Championships since taking over? For adding all the young talent and for signing key FA's? That Gute?

egbertsouse's picture

August 26, 2022 at 07:29 am

If the game were played between the 20 yard lines Jordan Love could be a pretty good QB.

mbpacker's picture

August 26, 2022 at 08:33 am

Nags- Do you know how much football the Packer braintrust have forgotten about football so you have an idea how much you can measure it against how much you need to know to catch up? Have a good pizza night with your daughters. GPG!

keeley2's picture

August 26, 2022 at 09:17 am

This game did not set up very well at all for the green & gold. Len Dawson's passing, KC playing their starters, and the overall rabidity of the KC faithful had everything pointing the other way. GB defense played very well in my estimation, Nonetheless, after settling in, the Packers got used to the speed and acquitted themselves most of the time.

PatrickGB's picture

August 26, 2022 at 09:23 am

Our backups were often gashed in run plays. Both lines were outmuscled (offense and defense) The secondary was totally missing on some coverage assignments but did ok on the whole.

SugarCain's picture

August 26, 2022 at 11:08 am

Amari Rodgers, Goodson, Toure, Etling will continue to get better and better Taylor, Winfree, have reached their ceiling.

Jordan Love is a good solid QB when his first read is wide open. If he has to look past his 2nd read and things get cloudy look out! And he is not as athletic and quick as I had hoped!

Once again Etling is bigger faster and stronger Arm!

mrtundra's picture

August 26, 2022 at 02:07 pm

and Etling was playing against the KC third stringers.

SugarCain's picture

August 26, 2022 at 11:08 am

Once again Etling is bigger faster and stronger Arm!

jont's picture

August 26, 2022 at 12:00 pm

- Listened the radio broadcast while watching on TV so I could hear McCarren's comments on the O-line. I was very surprised to hear him say Newman had a really good game. It looked to me that the linemen took turns ruining play after play. Not playing as a unit as all. If they don't come together, dark skies.
- Officiating is in the preseason too, and it was not good last night.
- Amari is still on the bubble IMO. He looked better than he has before, but the coach had to force feed him the ball to get something out of him. You can't make a game plan with the goal of using a certain player. You now remember Ty Montgomery.
- Love had a decent game. 12 was highly complimentary. Still, there is no doubt he needs to improve as a passer with more consistency and better accuracy; he seems to aim some throws and let them kind of float in there. 12 said Love's footwork and arm angle are off sometimes.
- Quay looks very promising.
- Did Packer tight ends catch any passes last night? Yes, but the position is not a threat right now. Improvement here is needed.
- Special teams are rarely solid in preseason (I am going to keep telling myself that) but the long snapper hasn't been an issue since Coco got in there, and we have a choice to make at kicker.

Tedlyflyfisher's picture

August 26, 2022 at 12:18 pm

Sal Canella had a nice catch and then bulled his way against 2 tacklers for extra yards. He had at least 1 catch in the last game too. Becker went out with an injury, and maybe Canella will be signed to at least the PS.

Deguara imho has shown nothing this preseason. Disappointing.

Bear's picture

August 26, 2022 at 01:00 pm

Have to agree with you….Newman was getting pushed all over and completely missed his block on one play. T. Davis missed his block and McCarrren said it was Maze. The right side of the line was beaten badly in the early part of the game.

Coldworld's picture

August 26, 2022 at 02:00 pm

Newman at G was much better. The Hanson/Newman combo was not working.

ReaganRulz's picture

August 26, 2022 at 06:43 pm

With Minnesota being our first game, I can’t believe that we held out so many starters again. I get the whole injury thing, but so many starters from other teams had a chance to get the rust off. Not optimistic at all for a big game vs. the Vikings in Minneapolis too!!

Fubared's picture

August 27, 2022 at 07:15 pm

For me the frustration is not what I saw but what I didnt see from GB but saw from other pre season teams: big plays and big play makers on d and o. This was pathetic football. There is a glaring lack of speed and tackling ability on these back ups. There is a reason guys go undrafted or 6 and 7th rounders. Lack of size, speed and quality of competition and we have a host of those guys and expect tackling, coverage and special team play to be at the NFL level.
A lot of our cuts should not even make practice squad. A lot of guys on other teams could.
It's almost a relief for me, thank God we got rid of X, y, z....