Early Thoughts from CHTV on the Schedule Release

Check out some preliminary thoughts from the CHTV crew on the 2020 schedule.

The draft has come and gone, the virtual offseason program has kicked off, and now the NFL has officially released the 2020 schedule. Here’s a full look at Green Bay’s regular season schedule:

Now, that the games are in front of us, let’s see how the Cheesehead TV staff is feeling about the most favorable and least favorable matchups.

Jersey Al

Favorite Game: Week 1 Packers @ Vikings - First, because if it actually happens, that means some positive things have occurred with the COVID-19 situation. Secondly, getting a team that lost 4 cornerbacks and 2 safeties from last year’s team and brought in 15 draft picks in a week one game when they likely haven’t had much practice - that’s glorious.

Least Favorite Game: Week 6 Packers @ Tampa Bay - Simply because the Brady vs Rodgers hype and “who’s better” debate will be unbearable and we’ll have to suffer through it twice as long with the bye week. Oh the pain...

Gil Martin

Favorite Game: Week 6 Packers @ Buccaneers - Rodgers vs Brady

Least Favorite Game: Week 9 Packers @ 49ers - At San Francisco on a Thursday after a big division showdown versus Minnesota just a few days before

Perri Goldstein

Favorite Game: Week 3 Packers @ Saints - Brees vs Rodgers is going to be amazing

Least Favorite Game: Week 9 Packers @ 49ers - On a short week after playing the Vikings. That’s a tough stretch starting with two away games @ Tampa Bay and @ Houston

Brandon Carwile

Favorite Game: Week 3 Packers @ Saints - In primetime. The last time the Packers had this matchup, they delivered an instant classic to kick off the regular season in 2011. Let’s hope the result doesn’t change.

Least Favorite Game: Week 9 Packers @ 49ers - Ideally, that’s not the team you want to face on a short week.

Ken Lass

Favorite Game: Week 17 Packers @ Bears - My guess is that the Bears might still have a vague shot at the playoffs and it will be fun to see the Packers snuff it out.

Least Favorite Game: Week 16 Packers vs Titans - What Derrick Henry is going to do to our run defense will not be pretty.

Tyler Herrick

Favorite Game: Week 9 Packers @ 49ers - Ultimate litmus test for the Packers and Coach LaFleur and his staff. How far have they really come since 2019? And if they win, it’ll shut up a lot of people.

Least Favorite Game: Week 1 Packers @ Vikings - You’re really going to make us listen to that horn after months of quarantine?!

Tim Backes

Favorite Game: Week 17 Packers @ Bears - Finally finishing the season against someone other than the Lions, and a chance to knock the Bears out of it officially if they haven’t already been eliminated.

Least Favorite Game: Week 9 Packers @ 49ers - At 49ers on a short week right after a game against the Vikings. Bad matchup already made even worse by going on the road with four days rest.

Cory Jennerjohn

Favorite Game: Week 1 Packers @ Vikings - This game is about the Packers maintaining their stranglehold on the NFC North vs a team that has the better team 1-53 on paper. However, games are not played on paper.

Least Favorite Game: Week 3 Packers @ Saints - The Saints were very good last year and got even better this offseason. This may be Drew Brees’ last stand, so look for him to come out firing.

Paul Bretl

Favorite Game: Week 16 Packers vs Titans - The Matt LaFleur Bowl. This is going to be a difficult game to win but the Titans present an interesting matchup that’ll be a good measuring stick for the Packers at the end of the season.

Least Favorite Game: Week 9 Packers @ 49ers - I’m sure this is a common answer but who the heck wants to go back to Levi’s Stadium? Hopefully things go better this time around. I mean, third time’s the charm, right?

Ryan Ryskoski

Favorite Game: Week 6 Packers @ Buccaneers - Rodgers vs Brady, which doesn’t happen often, coming off a Packers bye will be a favorite of mine because those two will really compete against each other. The bye week will allow Rodgers to get extra healthy as well as the rest of the roster.

Least Favorite Game: Week 9 Packers @ 49ers - This game on a Thursday night is tough. 49ers have an improved roster this year and they smoked Green Bay in both games last season. A win would be huge but it’s going to be pretty hard to take this one.

Maggie Loney

Favorite Game: Week 6 Packers @ Buccaneers - My sister-in-law lives in Tampa and I’d love to get to this game in person. Either way it’s a historic battle between two goats. There’s no bleating this one. (I really, really hope you all understand and appreciate this goat pun.)

Least Favorite Game: Week 14 Packers @ Lions - I’m going against the trend here. I’m hoping the 49ers game proves cathartic and the Packers make a statement. I’ll take the Lions because these rivalry games have been more difficult than expected as of late, and this one could have playoff implications as a late season NFC matchup.

The Packers have an early Week 5 bye, which might be nice after a pretty tough four-game stretch that sees them against two division rivals and two high-flying offenses in the NFC South. After the bye, it’s a trip to the other, lesser Bay. This one’s going to be fascinating for Brady and Gronk alone. As my colleagues pointed out, it’s a pretty daunting journey after the bye with a home Vikings game Sunday in Week 8 and a Thursday Night Football game in Week 9 at San Francisco. But beyond that, there might be some smooth sailing (or sledding, if you will), as the Packers wrap the season with four out of six games at Lambeau. The colder the better.

I’m with Jersey Al though when we get right down to it. If the season kicks off as planned, that means a lot for the progress we’ve made amidst a pandemic. Everyone stay safe, look after each other, and here’s hoping we’re high fiving and clinking beers at Lambeau in a few months. Drop your favorite and least favorite matchups in the comments!

----------------------------

Maggie Loney is a writer for Cheesehead TV and podcasts for the Pack-A-Day Podcast and Pack's What She Said. Find her on Twitter at @MaggieJLoney.

taarons420's picture

May 08, 2020 at 06:55 am

"The Vikings... a team that has the better team 1-53 on paper."

I don't agree.

CB-Packers
S-Vikings (maybe)

ST-Packers... just because of Crosby

5-4-2 Packers

Coldworld's picture

May 08, 2020 at 08:31 am

In game one of their rookie year, add WR to Packers I suspect.

taarons420's picture

May 08, 2020 at 08:43 am

I agree.
Tried to be impartial.

Leatherhead's picture

May 08, 2020 at 08:36 am

Are we playing games on paper?

May 08, 2020 at 10:11 am

Until further notice, yes.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

May 08, 2020 at 11:12 am

We are playing them on html.

gkarl's picture

May 08, 2020 at 11:33 am

Games on paper?? I'm disappointed I thought the packers and FO had been playing mind games this off season.

May 08, 2020 at 12:53 pm

I've folded mine up into a little triangle and cleared the dinner table...game on!

murf7777's picture

May 08, 2020 at 07:15 am

“This game is about the Packers maintaining their stranglehold on the NFC North vs a team that has the better team 1-53 on paper. However, games are not played on paper.” Cory’s quote....I think you are way off base and agree with Taarans420 above. Vikings had to release 4 or 5 starters on D and arguably their best O player due to SC problems. Sure, they drafted one of the top WR but do you really think he will be any where near Diggs production in 2020. I would argue the Packers have the better roster, especially at the key positions in the NFL; QB, OT, Edge and CB.

RCPackerFan's picture

May 08, 2020 at 07:21 am

My take on the schedule is more of a general like/dislike vs which matchup I like best.

The biggest thing I is we have 4 of our final 6 games at home.

The biggest thing I dislike is we have a week 5 bye. I HATE an early bye. And to go with that the 4 game stretch after the bye is not an easy task. 3 of those 4 are on the road. Starting off At Tampa which by then should be getting into some sort of rhythm with Brady. Then at Houston which is not easy. Home against the Vikings but then have a Thursday game at 49ers.

Lets be honest. That Thursday game at 49ers will be very, very hard to win. They are hard enough on a Sunday, but now you are away on a Thursday. I don't know what the % is of teams that win games on the road on Thursdays, but it feels like most of them lose. Not good chances for GB. But that is why they play the games.

I just HOPE that we can have a season on time. Fingers crossed!

Coldworld's picture

May 08, 2020 at 09:02 am

Well, is the 49ers timing really a big negative?

If I have a team I think we don’t match up with it’s them. The first game I wrote in the lose column. As such, if we have to play Thursday after the Vikings game, may as well be them.

It is unfortunate that we are playing a team that we are clearly in our first season of emulating. In addition to recent experience, we will be trying to play them at their own game in their turf. Moreover, thus far LaFleur has been owned by them tactically. I just don’t see the odds of a win there this year being good even were we coming off a bye. Just too early in our evolution for us to beat a team at their own game.

So, bad time to play them? Maybe not in the scheme of things. I think the net impact on the season will be null.

taarons420's picture

May 08, 2020 at 08:54 am

Bingo.
@ SF was a loss no matter when it was scheduled.
Having it be a Thursday gives the Packers a second mini-bye.
Play 4 games - BYE.
Play 4 more games - MINI-BYE
Then play 5 home games the second 1/2 of the season with no back to back away games and the longest trip being to Indy.

Also - probably limited or no crowd for the 2 venues they play at where noise is the greatest factor (MN, NO)

This schedule is beautiful.

Bearmeat's picture

May 08, 2020 at 01:54 pm

If there isn't a crowd - or much of one - @ MIN and @ NO, that means very bad things for our country. I love the Packers and I hate the Vikings. (I don't care for Sean Payton, but don't mind the Saints.)

But I'd rather 150+k aren't dead by then. If we're still in the throes of the pandemic... that's what it will mean. :(

Also, I really think we'll be lucky to go into the bye 3-1. 2-2 seems doable. And 4-4 after the tough stretch would be a win.

mrtundra's picture

May 08, 2020 at 07:46 am

I always hate it when we have to play the vikings, right out of the gate. That being said, to echo Jersey Al, playing a team who lost 4 CBs and 2 Safeties, and has a WR with no NFL experience and the loss of some DL on top of all of that, certainly bodes well for the Packers. I can see the Packers sweeping the vikings. again, this season. I also think the Bears, with Foles at QB, will sweep the vikings, as well. The vikings brought in 15 players through the draft. They won't be using all of those draftees, but if they decide to keep the bulk of them, they may have to cut a few more veterans from the roster to make room for those rookies. I will be amazed if Reiff and O'Neill(?) are still on the O Line when the season begins. I would also be happy for The Smiths if they were! The game I like the most is week 17 where we will mop the floor with the Bears. The Bears will be tougher without Trubiscuit mucking things up, but will be beatable, nonetheless.

Lphill's picture

May 08, 2020 at 08:19 am

I hate to say it but the Vikings will sweep the North, we get to see week one of Oren Burks embarrassing us right out of the gate , Dalvin Cook career day .

Coldworld's picture

May 08, 2020 at 09:01 am

Lol, odds that Burks will be playing?

NickPerry's picture

May 08, 2020 at 05:07 pm

LMAO...Really? So the Vikings with 3 or 4 new CB's, new D-Linemen, NO Stephan Diggs OR a normal TC for his replacement Justin Jefferson? CLEARLY you didn't watch the week 16 game last season in Minneapolis on Monday Night Football.

If I may I'd suggest you go take a look at that game, specifically Kurt "I'm 3-19 against winning teams) Cousins (or what ever crappy record it actually is) and the ENTIRE Vikings O=Line who couldn't block Z Smith.

Gimmie a F'ing break!

Since'61's picture

May 08, 2020 at 08:20 am

Favorite game: Packers at Saints. By week 3 both teams should have worked out their pre-season kinks and should be ready to play good, solid football. The result will tell us plenty about what type of team we have for 2020 on the road against a legit playoff team.

Least favorite game, Packers at SF on TNF. Hate TNF, plus we go play a significant conference opponent on a short week after playing the Vikings. The SF game could decide #1 seed in the NFC and we get a short week to prepare and travel. Terrible.

I never like bye weeks before week 7. With our current bye we come back and play 12 consecutive game with only a mini-bye after SF. Tough to be sharp after 12 consecutive games.
Thanks, Since ‘61

splitpea1's picture

May 08, 2020 at 12:45 pm

"The SF game could decide the #1 seed..." That was LAST year. I can't see us being that good this time around; or them, either--a tough division and road games vs. Dallas and New England. I think Dallas could be a top seed.

Handsback's picture

May 08, 2020 at 08:29 am

The Packers shocked everyone last year with 13-3...I don't see it happening again this year. They probably will win their division and make the playoffs which is what we want to see.
Games that scare me are the 2nd Viking game and the Titans in week 16.

NickPerry's picture

May 08, 2020 at 08:34 am

There's a few things I like about the schedule. First and foremost opening against the Queens (If it happens) with a ton of rookies playing their first snaps against one of the greatest QB's ever to pay. The Queens starting 0-1 and putting a beatdown on them AGAIN in that glass house is a great way to start.

Four of our last 6 games are at home. Even though we didn't draw a warm weather team to Lambeau in December it's a nice stretch to end the season.

I absolutely hate where the NFL put the rematch of the NFCCG. It's such a HUGE advantage for the home team on those Thursday night games to begin with, why schedule such an important game on Thursday Night Football?

Lastly Mark Murphy asked for the October 5th game to be played away from Lambeau because the Badgers play Notre Dame just 2 days before and the field will be less than perfect. Why do I think if Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, or any of these other Billionaire's asked the NFL to schedule them away from home it would have happened.

12-4, maybe 11-5 and they'll be NFC North Champs...Again!

GeorgiaCheesehead's picture

May 08, 2020 at 09:22 am

8-8. With embarrassing blowouts on the road in NO and SF. No playoffs. Maybe BG should have drafted some help for 2020.

May 08, 2020 at 10:18 am

We'll need 12+ games to figure out where this team is. I don't think there's going to be a lot of patience with an early schedule that doesn't look very favorable, but they're positioned to make a run at the end of the season.

Coldworld's picture

May 08, 2020 at 10:44 am

Lombardi folks won’t care if we are patient one iota. They know changes will take time to embed. It could well be they can’t install some if the camp is truncated. That may make it even slower to become effective.

This is one of those years where, I agree with you: we will just have to wait and see. I think the Vikings will be worse due to their turnover. They have not changed on offense outside rookies. Diggs was a very good player.

The wild card for me is Chicago, specifically Foles. How that plays out, when, and can they keep him healthy could make them better ( though the rest of their O doesn’t seem better. Their draft will be lucky to have any impact). Just as easily, however, he Bears could be a complete disaster and falling apart by mid season.

Bearmeat's picture

May 08, 2020 at 03:10 pm

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Getting the Vikings before the rooks have time to acclimate is a very good thing. They are into an on-the-fly defensive rebuild. If Foles plays well, the Bears will be very, very, tough.

I'm more worried about us fixing out problems from last year: Offensive efficiency (2/3rd rd pick and development of our young guys is the way forward there). And stopping the run. I just don't see how that will get better with this roster.

Coldworld's picture

May 08, 2020 at 06:42 pm

Reasonable concerns. I assume they like Kirksey and look for growth from the D line and pickups there and at ILB and Hybrid. No flashy signings but a lot more camp depth at hybrid and ILB. I can only assume that they hope for improvement that way. Much more concerned about that than WR, personally.

May 09, 2020 at 05:55 am

"The wild card for me is Chicago,..."

I think you sum this up well. Not being a Foles believer, I think later is better than earlier.

Thanks, Ryan Pace, for committing your QB gambit before Cam Newton became available.

packerbackerjim's picture

May 08, 2020 at 11:26 am

I would hope MLF will rethink his West Coast travel plans, flying out right after the Vikes game to get better acclimated. Serious rest instead of jet lag.

splitpea1's picture

May 08, 2020 at 11:30 am

Favorite games: The tough road tests against NO, SF, and TB; can the Packers rise to the occasion or will the defense get mowed over? There's nothing like a good challenge to see where you stand....

Least favorite: Anytime we play the Lions. From their dreary uniforms to their consistently losing play, it's always a chore to watch this team. What a sorry franchise. Just give us the two W's every year, and move on to a more interesting opponent.

13TimeChamps's picture

May 08, 2020 at 06:41 pm

"Just give us the two W's every year, and move on to a more interesting opponent."

I believe that sorry franchise swept us as recently as 2018, by a combined score of 62-23.
In 2019, we beat them by one point and three points.

Never take any opponent lightly.

splitpea1's picture

May 09, 2020 at 10:39 am

Duh. Loosen up. There's a big difference between how the fans and the players view the opponents. And that large discrepancy in the scoring is mostly due to one game at the end of the season where the Packers mailed it in.

The Lions are a sorry franchise. Given the way the NFL is set up to reward bad teams with the draft and more favorable schedules, what the Lions have done (more like not done) over the last six decades is almost hard to do if you try.

gkarl's picture

May 08, 2020 at 12:06 pm

I like this schedule, mostly because it anticipates 16 games. Several other good thoughts about the timing have been mentioned as well. In the end how hard or easy this schedule is will be determined, for the most part, by things that can't be controlled.

I am really looking forward to watching some of the match ups we have. This could be the last time we get to see the Packers play some of guys we have this year. Enjoy!

crayzpackfan's picture

May 08, 2020 at 07:10 pm

Tough schedule for sure. However, without so much as a face to face meeting amongst new players with veterans, and coaches (covid), let alone not even an involuntary minicamp, or open training facilities, I’m not even going to try and predict wins and losses with this schedule. Unlike any other year, for me, this is a complete wait and see. So, until the blood, sweat, and tears start falling to the ground, I chose to remain optimistic.