Cory's Corner: NFL Owners Never Cease To Amaze

So let me get this straight. The NFL owners want the newest Collective Bargaining Agreement to fail — so they can get an even better deal.

Just when you think you’ve heard it all, leave it to the NFL owners to squeeze every morsel of coin out of every situation.

The players have until 11:59 p.m. ET on Thursday to vote on the CBA that includes a 17-game schedule and adding one playoff team from each conference.

That decision looks to be very close. The upper crust of the league, which includes Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and J.J. Watt, doesn’t want it to pass. However, the average player is more akin to sign it because their salary will see a huge increase.

And now that we are on the doorstep of a decision, the owners want it to fail, just so they can get their coveted 18-game schedule. Why stop there? Why not just keep playing all the way to April Fools’ Day? It sounds ridiculous — and it is ridiculous — but I guarantee you that the owners have already thought about it. Granted, they would have to change the league calendar, but that’s small potatoes when considering how much they could make by extending the season.

But extending the season isn’t the answer. It’s kind of like when the government just prints more money when things are tight. It’s a short-term money mirage. Sure, the owners stand to make more, but at what cost? Let’s not forget that the owners have now doled out over $750 million in the players’ concussion settlement. That number is only going to rise exponentially with more games.

What seems fine on the surface isn’t always the best solution. I get it, the owners just want to strike while the iron is hot and keep milking the cash cow. However, the NFL has grown with games in London and Mexico and it blankets the weekly calendar with games three times.

“If somebody wants to make an 18-game proposal, we'll look at it,” said NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith. “I haven't seen anything that makes me think that it would be good for the players.”

He’s exactly right. Is there money to be made in the NFL? Without a doubt. Television networks could superimpose ads on the field all game long or make uniforms look like NASCAR vehicles and have ads dotted across each gameday jersey.

Just because there’s money to be made doesn’t necessarily mean that it has to be made. The NBA has made strides with its product and the best way for the NFL to remain competitive isn’t by adding games — it’s by streamlining the games that it currently has.

-------------------

Cory Jennerjohn is a graduate from UW-Oshkosh and has been in sports media for over 15 years. He was a co-host on "Clubhouse Live" and has also done various radio and TV work as well. He has written for newspapers, magazines and websites. He currently is a columnist for CHTV and also does various podcasts. He recently earned his Masters degree from the University of Iowa. He can be found on Twitter: @Coryjennerjohn

PeteK's picture

March 10, 2020 at 07:26 am

They extended the vote to Saturday. The addition of more playoff teams which devalues the regular season makes the addition of more games ridiculous. Pittsburgh at 8-8 would have made the playoffs this season and in the near future a team with a losing record will probably be in the post season. The NFL should spend time improving the product by clarifying pass interference. GREED

March 10, 2020 at 08:43 pm

The union extended the deadline to Saturday, not the owners.

egbertsouse's picture

March 10, 2020 at 08:07 am

Or it’s just a ploy to manipulate the players into voting for the current proposal. Yeah, I know that a reverse psychology approach doesn’t work on anybody over 6 years old but look at the yahoos that run this outfit.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

March 10, 2020 at 09:39 am

Yeah, that's what I thought the second I heard it. Especially since it came out just after the Big Players started tweeting NOs.

Guam's picture

March 10, 2020 at 08:14 am

I know journalists are taught that a hot lede is important to get people to read the story, but the lede should at least be accurate. Everything I have read elsewhere indicates that a FEW NFL owners want a no vote so they can go back to the bargaining table. Cory would have us believe that the NFL is a 32 owner monolith and all of them want a no vote. Factually, the majority of the owners voted in favor of the present contract offer (which is why the NFLPA is now voting on it) and some opposed it.

Personally I would prefer a 14 game season with only 8 teams making the playoffs, but I am neither an owner nor a player so I await the outcome of their negotiations.

marpag1's picture

March 10, 2020 at 10:11 am

Cory is akin to write poorly.

zoellner25's picture

March 10, 2020 at 08:16 am

You wont find a bigger collection of rich, white, entitled douchbags than the NFL owner group

TarynsEyes's picture

March 10, 2020 at 10:10 am

So you think that a Black owner wouldn't be the same. What a blind misguided fool.

PatrickGB's picture

March 10, 2020 at 02:44 pm

<<< ( slaps my forehead)

Slim11's picture

March 10, 2020 at 08:24 am

At this rate, the season will be six games followed by 26-team playoff. The first wild card weekend will have all the third place teams play with the winners advancing. Now those teams will play amongst themselves to see which team advances into the next round to play with all the second place finishers. If the third place round winner wins their game against a second place finisher, then they advance to play in the round against one of the conference winners. The remaining second place winners play the loser from the third round finishers who had the best regular season record. The winner of that round advances to play against the conference champions who haven't played for a month now. At the end, there will be a conference champion who might have finished the six game regular season 1-5. The Super Bowl will now be a best of three games over three weeks.

Now, if anyone followed that, please let me know what I just said. This seems to be exactly what the owners are doing!

PackfanNY's picture

March 10, 2020 at 08:38 am

Having lived through many of these labor negotiations on the American sports landscape I have learned to ignore it all until they have an agreement. There is no right and wrong side. I won’t feel sorry for either side. This is a fight between the millionaires and the billionaires. They are defending their interests. When the dust settles they will have a deal. One certainty is that deal will screw the fan. So at the end of the day I will need to decide how much money I want to be screwed out of. It really is that simple.

TarynsEyes's picture

March 10, 2020 at 10:13 am

Agree, anybody here get a copy of the CBA proposal and asked to vote on it.

TarynsEyes's picture

March 10, 2020 at 10:15 am

The fans have allowed the game to get so big and out of hand that they don't even care about you anymore because you'll just continue like zombies to it and accept whatever.

Demon's picture

March 10, 2020 at 11:58 am

I disagree taryn. I dont just zombie accept what the NFL owners and players put out there.

With me the owners and players are guilty of driving away a very passionate fan. I used to be one of the guys who watched as many games on TV and in person as I could. My family has had season tickets to Packers games since the 70's. I may go to 2 a year now. I no longer buy Packers apparel or NFL endorsed goods. The quality of play in the game has eroded so badly, its hard to watch at times.

If the league is ok with the some of their best fans only spending a couple hundred bucks a year on their product, just keep up what their doing. I know im not alone!

TarynsEyes's picture

March 10, 2020 at 02:21 pm

I'm happy you made or will make a choice that breaks you away from the zombies, but how many are in the zombie trance are waiting in line to take what you don't want or use or buy. The zombie numbers are much greater and why the NFL gets away with what they do to fans.

BobWellhoefer's picture

March 10, 2020 at 12:05 pm

Yes, exactly. Nobody in this business is in it for the fan. My season tickets have just gone up again as they have every year in the 25 years that I've had them, and my ROI decreases with every rate increase, and the product on the field does not improve. I will probably get season tickets again this year and then call it quits after that.

Handsback's picture

March 10, 2020 at 08:43 am

Go for the additional season game or even 18 and add another playoff team....but only if you add players to the roster to cover the injuries. Go back to using more pads in practice, and again maybe even expand the PS.
There are always give and takes. 17 or 18 games are OK if you have a roster large enough to plug and play your 3rd or 4th string guys. Right now there are no 3rd or 4th string guys.

PeteK's picture

March 10, 2020 at 09:55 am

More games will result in watered down talent on the field. There aren't enough good QBs and CBs as it is.

Slim11's picture

March 10, 2020 at 02:44 pm

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment...

The CFL does have an 18-game regular season and with smaller rosters. I don't all the details of their preseason or roster rules.

Point-Packer's picture

March 10, 2020 at 09:41 am

I can't wait to watch Mike McCarthy tank in Dallas. Especially after they are forced to sign a mediocre QB to a 35$ + million dollar deal. Dallas won't have the money to keep that O-line, Dak will tank and McCarthy will be headed back to D3 where he belongs.

13TimeChamps's picture

March 10, 2020 at 11:00 am

2019 stats:
4,902 yds. (2nd in NFL)
30 TDs (4th)
11 INTs (19th)
70.2 QBR (2nd)
8.2 ypa
That's your definition of mediocre?

Point-Packer's picture

March 11, 2020 at 12:41 am

Best O-line in football. 2nd or 3rd best RB in football. A bunch of those TD's came against New York, Washington and a couple other crap teams. Total QB Rating was #11 - that drops to the middle of the pack or worse if he doesn't have world class pieces around him. Which he won't when he gets overpaid.

Like I said, mediocre. Especially when the QB "guru" gets a hold of him..

13TimeChamps's picture

March 11, 2020 at 05:19 pm

So he's mediocre because he has talented players around him? Interesting logic.

TarynsEyes's picture

March 10, 2020 at 10:19 am

When is the issue with having to scroll through the beginning every time you comment going to be fixed. Let's get that done before we scream about the CBA.

ILPackerBacker's picture

March 10, 2020 at 12:16 pm

The "OWNERS" meaning not all the owners but some unnamed owner or owner rep said this. He or she did n't say this for the effect on the player vote.

It was said to impact weak minded fans and weaker minded new age and trendy bloggers.

wildbill's picture

March 10, 2020 at 12:49 pm

Haven’t read the CBA of course but from the little I’ve read is that it helps the lower paid players. These players make up a majority of each team and although they make good money it’s not long term life changing. It’s every players right to vote as how it fits their individual need as each player does when it comes contract time, other than Brady I know if no one who took less money for the good of the team, and he only was able to do it because his wife makes a ton more money than him. I am going to miss the fourth preseason game as I enjoyed watching players bust their butts chasing their dream.

flackcatcher's picture

March 10, 2020 at 02:07 pm

(Sigh......) Typical negotiation tactic usually seen by player agents. And leave it to Dallas's owner to pull a stunt like this, if he did. (Well played Cory) As pointed out by former Packer executive Andrew Brandt, the current CBA is in effect until NEXT YEAR. At best, it's going to take a while to cut a deal with the Networks that want a piece of the NFL pie. So the longer the players wait, the better it is for them. Because for the first time, the owners have no real leverage as long as the current deal is in effect. Moreover, the media environment has changed racially since the last CBA was signed. Simply put, it's not so friendly to the NFL. The owners need time to deal with the new media sea they are swimming in. So the players need to take their time and wait for the owners to come back to the table. No wonder Jerry is sweating.....

Packer_Fan's picture

March 10, 2020 at 02:26 pm

It is interesting that the lower paid players are getting larger increases. I always felt that the top players took too much of the pie. The owners are making sure the middle and lower paid players a better share of the pot. Majority rules

PatrickGB's picture

March 10, 2020 at 02:49 pm

I agree with Rodgers. The 17 game proposal is bad for ALL the players. He had a detailed statement on Twitter which explained his stance. Look it up.

ILPackerBacker's picture

March 11, 2020 at 11:16 am

Wake up

it is to get the deal before gambling is legal in enough states that the NFL moves in
and keeps all the money especially from the players

Leatherhead's picture

March 11, 2020 at 01:52 pm

It’s hard to believe that an extra game is going to fix all those empty seats. Players want more, but fans are leaving because they’re tired of the ‘wokeness’ . So where does the money come from?