Cory's Corner: Be Confident In This Team

Successful teams aren't built on talent alone. Gutekunst and LaFleur know the winning secret ingredient.

Hopefully you didn’t just finish eating, because it’s been one heck of roller coaster ride for the Packers this offseason.

And through it all, general manager Brian Gutekunst and head coach Matt LeFleur have been calm in the face of chaos.

First of all, they realized how important quarterback Aaron Rodgers was and is to this team. They realized how much Rodgers valued communication and just being included on team decisions. Gutekunst and LaFleur quickly repaired a relationship that had been frayed over the previous offseason by using the antidote of transparency.

It wasn’t as much selling as much as it was telling Rodgers how much he’s valued and appreciated. Rodgers has made so many receivers and for that matter, players, so much better. How many times did he speak highly of Billy Turner, who was the Packers starting right tackle this year,  and did a tremendous job.

“Billy Turner needs to get consideration for the Pro Bowl,” Rodgers said on the “Pat McAfee Show” in October. “I know we’re only six games in, but he’s played outstanding. He really has. He’s a master of his craft. Nobody works harder at his craft than Billy. I’m really proud of him.”

That really says a lot about Rodgers. You can be upset about Davante Adams not returning to Green Bay, but the eight-year pro didn’t want to be a Packer anymore. The Packers offered him, but he ultimately chose to play alongside his Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr.

But Gutekunst also signed De’Vondre Campbell, Rasual Douglas and Robert Tonyan. Campbell was arguably the best linebacker in football last year, Douglas might have been the best story in the NFL after being signed off of the Cardinals practice squad and then sealing the win over an undefeated Arizona team in the desert. And there’s a reason that several teams were interested in Tonyan — even after he tore his ACL on Oct. 28. Even if Tonyan isn’t available until Halloween, getting a dynamic tight end is exactly what this offense needs and it’s what this offense was missing in the playoffs.

This team knows how to mine and develop talent. It doesn’t take a genius to sign free agents like Russell Wilson, Von Miller or Odell Beckham, Jr. All it takes is plenty of free money and a creative salary capologist. The Packers are successful because they got 16 quality starts from 2021 fourth round pick Royce Newman. Then there's Elgton Jenkins. The 2019 second round pick might be the most important offensive lineman in the league due to his ability to play just about every position on the line.

Were there mistakes? Sure, there always are. Jace Sternberger could not handle being a pro and even though I liked the pick, it doesn’t look like Josh Jackson was ever good enough to make the jump from college to the NFL.

But overall, Gutekunst and LaFleur have done a tremendous job of not only assembling a roster to win games, but assembling a coachable locker room filled with guys that can lean on each other.

Obviously, talent is important, but having guys that trust each other is also key in a sport where there will likely be major injuries to deal with before Thanksgiving.

Be confident in this team. Not just because No. 12 is under center or No. 33 is in the backfield. But be confident because this team knows how to play like a team.

That’s an organic quality that cannot be taught and it’s why I really like this team heading into 2022.

-------------------

Cory Jennerjohn is a graduate from UW-Oshkosh and has been in sports media for over 15 years. He was a co-host on "Clubhouse Live" and has also done various radio and TV work as well. He has written for newspapers, magazines and websites. He currently is a columnist for CHTV and also does various podcasts. He recently earned his Masters degree from the University of Iowa. He can be found on Twitter: @Coryjennerjohn

Bearmeat's picture

March 22, 2022 at 07:53 am

LOL.

Sorry, no. Fool me once (2014) it's on you. Fool me twice (2020) it's on me. I never bought into the 2021 team. I am utterly unsurprised that it choked against San Fran.

This team will be worse, not better. One year older - which is good for exactly no one on the offense, maybe except Dillon. No Davante. Tonyan is out half the year at least. Jenkins the same. And even if the defense is better, can you really see 12 not being the focal point of any team he is on? Me either.

Nope. Not buying it. Not going to get emotionally attached to 12s toxicity and the fact that 1265 sold their soul to try and win a ring that left the station in 2020. Nope. They'll win 11 or 12 games. Run away with a bad division. And get boat-raced in the playoffs. Probably to the NFCW again, although I could see the Bucs too. Whatever.

See you when he retires. I'll be here for the long re-build. Void years, little draft capital, and all. Because I'm a Packer fan. Not a 12 fan.

egbertsouse's picture

March 22, 2022 at 07:59 am

Hooray! Proof that you don’t have to check your brain at the door to be a Packer fan. This team is the same team as last season, minus Davante. Everyone is older and some are coming off major injuries. Gute is the same guy, he put the band back together and threw money at Rodgers. That’s what he does. MLF will be the same, making no in-game adjustments because he too busy flapping his arms. Rookies will improve the team you say? We all know that MLF sits rookies on the bench for at least a season unless a disaster like the Alexander injury occurs.

Nope, like Bearmeat I’m not buying it. I’ve seen this movie. Win the North and one and done in the playoffs. Wake me when something new is playing.

Return_To_Sanity's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:59 am

There is no staying the same. You either get better or you get worse and this is the 2nd offseason in a row where this team has not improved. And they couldnt go all the way before losing Linsley, Adams, Turner, MVS, etc. But you talk about others checking their brain at the door? You didnt drink the koolaid. You snorted the entire packet, sugar and all.

Coldworld's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:16 am

I was just going to say, why? Leaving aside the argument about whether this roster is equivalent, we are a team with the same QB and HC that lost thrice in a row when it mattered. That shows we know how to play as a team? There is not one scintilla of substance In this piece that supports a different outcome.

Bitternotsour's picture

March 22, 2022 at 09:30 am

if only that $141M contract came with a gag rule. i'm perfectly content to see what happens this year, lots of draft capital, davante's ego shipped out for more than a 3rd round comp pick, campbell back. i just want rodgers to stfu.

if they stumble, it's all on murphy. the buck stops with him and the board has got to act.

at least we're in the nfc, play the vikings, bears, and lions 2x. the afc is crazy good.

Bearmeat's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:01 am

I can ignore the dumb ass things he says. I don't like them, but can ignore them. It's that he's come up small in big moments so many times and takes so much of the money available to the rest of the team that most bugs me.

Ya_tittle's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:03 am

Not in 2010, though you could argue that his performance in the Bear game was subpar, but not against the Falcons and Steelers.

We miss THAT Arod.

Oppy's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:16 am

That version of Rodgers disappeared sometime in 2015.
I was an ardent and vocal supporter of Rodgers' talent from his early years after being drafted when many were saying he was a bust and into the 2015 season.

Started seeing the double talk in the pressers to imply things that weren't true without 'lying', listened while Aaron laid blame for losses at others and dodged any responsibility for poor execution or judgement, started seeing the leering at team mates and waving off of the coach(es).

Mostly, started to take notice that Rodgers' wasn't taking the open WR underneath when it was there; started holding the ball too long looking for the big shot, started throwing the ball away too frequently when the route he wanted didn't materialize instead of throwing the types of passes he used to throw with regularity. Stopped throwing over the middle of the field, almost completely.

By late 1016 into 2017, I'd seen enough and stopped holding back. Started holding Rodgers accountable in my posts for what I'd been seeing when no one else seemed to see it, or maybe no one else dared say it out loud.

Now I'm considered the bad-guy Rodgers hater. Oh well. I just can't lie to myself about Rodgers any longer. He's not the same QB, hasn't been for a long time, MVP's not withstanding.

This team doesn't get over the hump until Rodgers checks his ego and 100% commits to taking coaching and utilizing the players the coach puts on the field, regardless if he deems them "ready" or 'trust worthy'.

Bearmeat's picture

March 22, 2022 at 01:33 pm

You absolutely were the earliest to see 12 as he actually is. Props. I was the next to join you. I wanted to trade him before “Run the table”. The last 6 years has shown me no difference. This team won’t win it all until long after he has gone. And Murphy, Gute and MLF missed a big chance to retool the roster by shipping his ass to Siberia a month ago.

We will all look back on that and think of Mandarich over Sanders or Hadl for 3 1s. This will be looked at as that dumb. It will cost everyone one power their jobs by 2027. And it should.

Oppy's picture

March 22, 2022 at 12:05 pm

The real kick in the pants is he's the most gifted thrower of the football you could ask for. Ego is a killer.

As I like to put it.. Rodgers is the most talented coach killer QB I've ever seen.

Bearmeat's picture

March 22, 2022 at 12:20 pm

Absolutely. It's sad. The man needs help. Which doesn't make him less frustrating to deal with, nor does it matter when I root for my team. I will still root for them to win. But at this point, it's like seeing the same movie over and over again. You know the ending before you start - it takes away a good bit of the drama.

Coldworld's picture

March 22, 2022 at 04:46 pm

All I can say is he needed help to remain in the position to be that. The management repeatedly enabled him. He could possibly have been brought back into focus.

Bearmeat's picture

March 23, 2022 at 08:18 am

Yep. And this is why Murphy, Gute, Ball and MLF and the entire personnel and coaching staffs will be gone by 2027 at the latest. All it will take is no Lombardis before 12 retires and a couple of non-playoff seasons after he retires with no franchise QB on the horizon.

In other words, the most likely outcome.

Pantz_Burp's picture

March 22, 2022 at 12:30 pm

"if only that $141M contract came with a gag rule". Oh but it does Bitternotsour. It's referred to as the playoffs.

Bitternotsour's picture

March 22, 2022 at 01:09 pm

wow. that's quality commentary. big ups.

Crankbait's picture

March 23, 2022 at 08:45 am

Do not underestimate the Vikings.
The way they kicked our ass last year is definitely going to be examined by their new coach and he is going to open up their offense. This is what has been holding the Vikings back.... conservative offensive play. Going to be a different story this year.

PeteK's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:28 am

I agree with all the comments. It has certainly been some roller coaster ride. However, I'm sitting in the front and ready for another ride. You never know, it could work out. Nevertheless, in the back of my jughead there lurks fear of what 2023 will be if we fail again.

croatpackfan's picture

March 22, 2022 at 04:25 pm

Don't worry. They will restructure re-restructured restructured contracts pushing the huge % of cap space to future, for another 2 decades of fail...

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:44 am

The only place Rodgers is toxic is media crap. Teammates appreciate him, the coach loves him, the GM recognizes his once in a lifetime talent, and I'll take 13 win seasons any time. Yes, they lost in the playoffs, but the loss of MVS and Dillon can't be understated. Would you rather watch a team that never smells the playoffs or gets past the first round? That's the Saints without Brees, the Giants and Colts without a Manning, the Pats without Brady, and we'll see how the Steelers do without Ben. Those teams are barely relevant, while GB racks up wins. I love that you protect your fragile emotions by deciding ahead of time just how the team will fare for a whole season and the playoffs. And you've decided this before the draft and before rosters are anywhere near set. You think you are tired of being "fooled?" Try being a fans of about 25 other teams in the NFL that are barely relevant. Then you can protect your emotions by only hoping to win more than we lose. That will be our ceiling once #12 goes. All of the teams that went deep in the playoffs had a top QB under center. Obviously Gutey is no fool and knows that Rodgers give GB the best chance to win.

Pantz_Burp's picture

March 22, 2022 at 01:29 pm

Hey West coast, thanks for sharing your opinion/thoughts. I enjoyed reading your perspective and thought provoking question: "Would you rather watch a team that never smells the playoffs or gets past the first round?".

Then, you lost me at: "I love that you protect your fragile emotions by deciding ahead of time just how the team will fare for a whole season and the playoffs".

I didn't know that this was a forum that everyone had to be in agreement. I certainly would hope we could have constructive dialogue without the having to perceive that a fan should be all in and not be concerned how they are set up for future seasons. That is every fans right to voice their opinion. Try to be aware of that without trying to get personal.

Again, I appreciate your passion and point of view.

croatpackfan's picture

March 22, 2022 at 04:51 pm

They lost every post season games after 2011 SB. 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020, 2021. Last lost was about to be Last Dance, meaning, last chance for that team. Now they (FO) are selling the future of the franchise for same discussions next year at this time. and, again someone else would be guilty, not choker.

You are making your post personal by questioning feelings and "fragile" emotions. You are so keen to protect choker from the truth. So, to me it looks like you are protecting your "fragile" emotions when somebody gives you solid facts - 9 seasons of losing through post seasons, with rare wins vs really bad teams. Once it was catastrophic D, than bad DC, than again bad DC and injuries (including AR injury), than Bostick and Ha-Ha, than again injuries, than again injuries, than new system and again Niners, than Kevin King and bad DC, than bad ST and again injuries... Wow, I know other teams were all at fully health, nobody important weren't missing from their roster. Not to any team Packers was facing. Sure. Now, who lives in fantasy world?

Remember 2015 Seattle debacle? Packers D get 4 interception and ST unit produce one fumble on KR at15 or 20 yard line. Your choker was able to get only one (ONE) TD of 5 opportunities deep in opponent territory. All what he was able to do was 1 TD, 1 INT and several FGs. If you want to be trutfull, Bostick and Ha-Ha should never come to the issue.
If choker had played just good!

That is all you need to know!

Second - you already knows that Packers will strink after AR lwft them? You are so sure that you do not even think about possibility that some less "good" QB might produce SB win in 2-5 years span for Packers. I believe this team has excellent core of important players that, with very good QB, can trully brings Packers to the SB. And win it! Just to remind you of Eagles with Nick Foles, or Ravens with Joe Flacco, Panthers with Cam Newton, Niners with Jimmy Garoppolo etc, etc.

You have crush for AR, Diva aka choker. And you are protecting your "fragile" emotions from possibility that your God is not near that level...

Leatherhead's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:52 am

Bearmeat, I'm encouraging you to resist giving in to pessimism. I can totally understand the entire "this team will be worse, not better" view.....I thought the same thing before the realization dawned on me that Rodgers was coming back. I understand the disappointment, trust me.

But (and here's the other side of the same coin) bottom line is....it looks like we're going to be able to put a pretty good team on the field, both sides of the ball. Our QB, for all his warts, is the best QB in NFL history at protecting the ball, especially if He Himself is protected. This is a tremendous advantage, as turnovers are critical factors in football games. Plus, we have an RB centered offense, where our RBs get the ball over half the time, and we have really good RBs.

Weak division, boat-raced.....etc. I don't think the NFC North is substantially weaker than the East or the South. Yes, having the Lions is a handicap, but the Packers/Bears/Purple usually produces a wild card team for the playoffs. The Packers were 9-2 outside the division, so we'd be pretty good in any division. And I don't think losing playoff games by ONE PLAY is a boat race.

This could be a very good team that SHOULD win the division. From there, it's health, a good bounce, some favorable officiating. I'll take that for 2022 and have a smile on my face all the way.

Since'61's picture

March 22, 2022 at 04:51 pm

LH, I’m with you all the way. With decent luck on the injury side our team should be very good in 2022. 2022 is the only season that matters. We can worry about 2023 and beyond when those seasons get here. Thanks, Since ‘61

Starrbrite's picture

March 22, 2022 at 04:10 pm

Colin Cowerd said yesterday that the Packers SB has closed. Today he said the Vikings would win the NFC North.
I Don’t agree.

Since'61's picture

March 22, 2022 at 04:53 pm

Cowerd is a turd. Pay no attention to him or any of the talking airheads. They will say anything for ratings.
Thanks, Since ‘61

jannes bjornson's picture

March 23, 2022 at 10:50 am

Cowpie is on his third or fourth show and third or fourth wife. Shock jock or just a jagoff?

Dragon5's picture

March 22, 2022 at 07:21 am

May apply to the regular season when you get to beat up on inferior NFC North division foes year after year to earn a seed, but the proof is in the pudding--they aren't even confident in themselves come a formidable post-season opponent such as Tampa or San Fran. The real measure of confidence is how you respond when things aren't going your way, and after 4 consecutive NFCG losses, I believe your point is moot Cory; hopefully they figure it out. Learning how to close out is a life skill that has plagued many capable Packer teams of yesteryear, and sadly, it is both coaches and players alike unprepared for big / panic moments that have lead to poor decision making and consequently, numerous agonizing defeats.

Crankbait's picture

March 23, 2022 at 08:55 am

How to close is also cultivated through the coaching staff and by the culture developed in the locker room. Strong leaders needed from both.

NickPerry's picture

March 22, 2022 at 07:33 am

Now let me say this first, I don't like Colin Cowherd. Just never cared for him. BUT, he said something on his show recently that made me think... I understand the whole click bait thing, hell he made me click on the article and I can't stand him! But still...

Why didn't Adams thank Rodgers in his "Good-Bye" to Green Bay? I went back and read it again, and then again to make sure I was awake and it was true. Now he did say "Teammates", but if I was a WR who had caught 669 passes in the regular season and another 72 in the playoffs and a total of 81 TD's, was a big part of WHY I just signed a contract for $141 million, I'd at least mention the man's name....Hmmmm

With that said I AM confident in this team but mostly in Gute and MLF. I know MLF isn't everybody's favorite here after the last 2 playoff losses, but I still like him. I mean COMMON, he was a Offensive Coordinator calling plays for ONE season before be hired. There was bound to be some growing pains. OBVIOUSLY you hope he makes all the right decisions, but that didn't happen. Special Teams comes to mind and he should have did something after the Chicago Game at the LATEST, but probably the Bengals game. At the end of it all was the picture we've all seen 1000 times. Allen Lazard running WIDE OPEN across the middle. MLF can't make Rodgers throw the ball to Lazard in that spot. I still believe had Rodgers make that throw we're SB Champions but that's me.

This team WILL be able to compete for a SB THIS year. I don't think Gute is done and if nothing else, the man has NAILED his 1st and 2nd round picks for the most part. I'm going to TRY and enjoy the ride and not get caught up in 12's bullshit!

PackEyedOptimist's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:20 am

"I don't think Gute is done" One thing is certain, based on Gute's track record: he ALWAYS fills every "hole" on the roster with FAs BEFORE the draft. He's done it every year; he clearly doesn't want the shadow of "need" affecting his drafting. I expect a veteran WR and maybe a DL or S before the draft begins.

It also depends on which of the current guys on the roster he feels better about than we do, because he's seen them at practices.
Maybe he feels really good about the development of guys like Juwann Winfree, Jake Hanson, Tipa Galeai or Jonathan Garvin, Vernon Scott or Innis Gaines , Tyler Davis , Shemar Jean-Charles, Isaih McDuffie or Ray Wilburn, etc.

PeteK's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:35 am

If he thanked AR then some people would have criticized him for not thanking the O line or RBs etc...

WestCoastPackerBacker's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:47 am

Well who cares that Adams didn't thank Rodgers? He left GB obviously a little ticked off that he didn't get an extension earlier. He's taking the Greg Jennings way out. Be angry at GB and then leave for less money than GB offered. More power to him; hope he fares better than Jennings did. As talented as Adams his, his importance to the team is tiny compared to a franchise QB. WRs are very replaceable.

Oppy's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:39 am

While I think too much is being made out of Davante's lack of singling out Rodgers in his good byes / thank yous letter (he does mention his teammates in general terms), don't you think it's odd that a guy who is "a little ticked off that he didn't get an extension" takes the time to thank the front office for always having his back, but doesn't specifically thank his QB with which he shared amazing chemistry that purportedly defined his career?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. People are looking for a story clearly, and I don't particularly care that Adams didn't call out Rodgers by name in his fairly stock 'classy goodbye' letter... but your angle of it being an oversight by a player stomping out of town who's disgruntled with management doesn't quite make sense here.

Starrbrite's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:50 pm

We’re nearly always on the same page WestCoast.

Starrbrite's picture

March 22, 2022 at 04:15 pm

Good post NickPerry.

LarryPritchett74's picture

March 22, 2022 at 07:39 am

I'm sorry, but you are asking us to be confident in a team that has won 13 games 3 seasons in a row and then lost in the playoffs. In addition, they just traded away their best wide receiver and have lost numerous free agents who contributed last year.

Be confident in this team? Be confident in Wisconsin winning the college football playoffs next year! Be confident that the Titanic is unsinkable! Be confident that your local high school team will win the NBA title next year.

I have been the perpetual believer for almost 60 years saying every year that "The Pack is Back!" But nothing that this GM has done so far has inspired confidence in me. He treated a future Hall of Fame quarterback as if he was some journeyman signed off someone else's practice squad. He traded up to get a quarterback who had never shown any evidence that he will be a franchise quarterback one day. He has backed the Packers into Salary Cap Hell. If you think this year was bad, wait till the next few years come into which we have shuffled loads of back end money.

March 22, 2022 at 07:58 am

"On the other hand, if the rest of the NFL is so stupid that they let a WR fall to the Packers because he ran a slow 40 yard dash in Indy, but there is video readily available of him outrunning many SEC defenses to the end zone, including Alabama's, we might be a lot better in the next year or two."

After the fact, GMs and others in NFL war rooms will tell you that their boards are mostly done by this point. Interviews and one-on-one interactions at Pro Days and the like play every bit as big a role as Combine testing. Game film is what most GMs and scouts go by...and most college teams were done 3 months ago.

The Combine doesn't test vision, on-field play speed, and competitiveness. Most of these thoroughbreds run a lot faster in shorts and compression shirts than pads. But the Combine does test heart and desire to a certain degree, and Burks tested like a guy who was going through the motions. Love the film on this guy and his potential fit in LaF's offense, but plenty of potential red flags about how he approached his workout and what it means for him later on. I think he's a boom-or-bust pick with a high ceiling but also a very low floor.

Coldworld's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:21 am

98 percent or so of college players never sniff even a cup of tea in the NFL. So watching players on film is not about their yards, big plays etc. as much as how they do that. NFL prospects are guys that have huge physical advantages in college. So one looks at how sudden, how fast, how difficult the circumstances, the quality of players beaten, regularity …

A lot of college players that fail look like beasts in college. It’s one thing to beat small 4.8 second 40 DBs for example, but can they show skills that mean they could beat a 6 ft 4.4 second one and why. Slow is scary. Adams was slow but he had short range agility and quickness that is off the charts even in the NFL, and awareness and ball skills at elite levels (eventually). You don’t have to be fast or big or leap like a gazelle, but you have to have enough of several to make it.

That’s a large reason why many college standouts don’t. That’s a major reason why college scouting is so hit and miss. If it weren’t we could just look at stats. It’s not easy to identify who has the physical and mental traits to translate. It’s why some college players with yards galore end up being possession types at best. College highlights come with a reality warning, or should do. The NFL is physically on another plane of reality.

March 22, 2022 at 07:49 am

The NFL schedule is meant to drag teams back to the middle. The schedule this year adds Dallas, Tampa, and Tennessee--and they still get the Rams again--not to mention Buffalo, the Patriots, and Dolphins. Seven games against 2021 playoff teams. Admittedly, just about every schedule looks daunting in March, but this one is tough. We don't know what the quality of the rest of the NFCN will be since two teams are retooling and the third is in year two of its process. At this stage, this team has the look of a 10-win team. That has everything to do with questions about their pass-catchers. Even drafting two highly-regarded WR prospects leaves the WR room a question and unlikely to be the answer until at least 2023.

"They realized how much Rodgers valued communication.... by using the antidote of transparency. "

You misspelled "capitulation"...it's not "t-r-a-n-s-p-a-r-e-n-c-y".

"“Billy Turner needs to get consideration for the Pro Bowl,” Rodgers said on the “Pat McAfee Show” in October. “ I’m really proud of him.”"

I wonder how hard someone was advocating for Turner to play LT against SF? Certainly got Bakhtiari on the field for the Detroit game. The buck stops with LaF. He makes that final call...and still a boneheaded one in retrospect.

Dragon5's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:09 am

OL hype / overconfidence come showtime has been a slow train wreck for 3 consecutive years. The last minute shuffle vs SF deserved nothing less than a superlative cadre of 4 letter words. I just coached a soccer game last Sunday where we had 3 players to field given numerous families on spring break so the other team gave us 4 of their players for each half to at least get a scrimmage in. As expected, our continuity was a sh*tshow. How can an NFL coach(es) at the highest level not expect underperformance with that shuffle given SF's elite defense? Reeks of overconfidence, lack of talent evaluation, and poor judgment.

Leatherhead's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:04 am

I can understand this! I would agree that the condition/health of the offensive line has been the stumbling block. No Bakhtiari, No Jenkins, Turner out of position, a transient at RT, a rookie Day 3 starter at RG, etc,

This is a long, hard, season and you have to have about 10 good, tough, experienced linemen, any one of which can start in the playoffs. Because the reality is, they might.

Johnblood27's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:10 am

more cookies in there than in the entire jar.

Im heading to the grocery store...

March 22, 2022 at 08:19 am

If I can make a request, peanut butter are my favorites! ;)

PeteK's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:46 am

Oatmeal, chocolate chip please, LOL I guess I'm getting bored with this should've, could've blame game.

Coldworld's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:19 am

LaFleur should be, as I posted at length earlier on Aaron’s thread, a major concern. The Rodgers story has masked what we should be concerned about all along in my opinion.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:05 am

It's kind of a strange theme for an article... "Be confident." Why would that be a theme? Only if enough people clearly DON'T have confidence. Hmm.

I am optimistic that this team is being well-handled by Gute--I don't agree with him all the time, but I agree with him more than any other GM in my lifetime, well, maybe equal to Ron Wolf. (I still would rather have traded Rodgers for a boatload of picks and went after a top rookie QB next year, but we'll see.)
He'll probably trade up just to annoy me. :-D
I think getting rid of Adams is a plus; I agree with everyone who has pointed out that Rodgers plays too much of an "only trust these guys" style, especially in big games. Unfortunately, I think he'll continue that style, but now with a new set of "trusted" players. God help us if he forces the ball to Cobb in replacement of Adams...

On a related side note, I have believed that the thing this team has lacked to get us over the top is a TOP NOTCH leader on the team. We've had GOOD leaders, but we've lacked a Reggie White. Currently, it seems to be Marcedes Lewis--a second string TE. That won't cut it. We've lacked a "follow him into Hell" leader on defense ever since Woodson left. Matthews SHOULD have been that guy, but it wasn't his personality. That's why I REALLY wanted Derwin James in 2018--he was supposed to be that kind of locker room presence as well as filling a need. Yes, we got Alexander, but I'd still have preferred James.

If I could get a good player who also has that kind of charisma, I'd grab him.

Johnblood27's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:13 am

I have mentioned the lack of leadership on this team before.

I am with you.

GB needs a win-at-all-costs kinda guy or 2 to propel them into championship range.

March 22, 2022 at 08:23 am

"On a related side note, I have believed that the thing this team has lacked to get us over the top is a TOP NOTCH leader on the team. "

Could not agree more. Good players will get their numbers, but winners make the guys around them winners. Can't like this part of your post enough.

Oppy's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:32 am

Aaron Rodgers is the ultimate leader, just ask the Aaron Rodgers fans. They'll tell you.

NickPerry's picture

March 23, 2022 at 04:59 am

Two downvotes? Clearly that went over 2 peoples heads because that was GOOD!

Leatherhead's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:04 am

Interesting,

Cory's viewpoint revolves around the blinding greatness of the Manbun Hero.

Bearmeat's view is that Rodgers isn't going to deliver.

Nick Perry's view is that Gute/LaFleur are a pair we can have confidence in, despite Rodgers.

dobber isn't dazzled by Rodgers at all.

I'm an unabashed optimist. I think we've got 5 months left to get the team on the field. We have over 3 months before training camp. We have quite a few draft picks and might even be able to get a FA. I think we'll start the season with a very good roster and a great chance to win the division, and that's my goal, because winning the division gets you invited to the party afterwards.

As I frequently commented, I'd have traded Rodgers. But it didn't happen, so I'll just hope for the best there. He's a really good QB but I really doubt he's a leader who can lead this team to victories in tough playoff games. The Dallas playoff game in 2016 not with standing, he doesn't have a real good record in a lot of tight losses.

Oh well, gonna be a beautiful day here today. I'm going to play in the yard for a while and then go to the gym. Chicken fajitas for dinner tonight. Yummm.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:07 am

Pretty funny that we posted such similar thoughts at the exact same time! :-D
Great minds, etc. etc....

March 22, 2022 at 08:29 am

"I'm an unabashed optimist. I think we've got 5 months left to get the team on the field."

I think this is the key. There's a whole lotta player movement that's going to happen yet---out of necessity, most of it will be through the draft for this team, but they're going to find a couple low-cost vets to add, yet. Admittedly, I posted a comment above that says this is likely a 10-win team right now. That could change a lot just by adding the right piece, and he might not be someone you expect (e.g. Campbell, Douglas).

"As I frequently commented, I'd have traded Rodgers. But it didn't happen, so I'll just hope for the best there."

Unashamed to say I was there, too, but your mindset is the right one: this team is what it is now, and not what it could have been in fantasy football trade land. ARod is here, like him or not, and the Packers are counting on him and the guys they put around him to win football games.

Eyes forward.

Guam's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:44 am

Dobber usually gets the cookie, but today you win the Oreo!

Starrbrite's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:55 pm

You forgot me LH—I’m a ARod apologist.

Roadrunner23's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:41 am

QB 👍
RB 👍
TE 👍
OL depth needed
WR 😱 help
P. 👌
K. 👌
DL. Depth needed
OLB. Need a 3rd
ILB. Depth needed
CB. Need a slot cover guy
S. Depth needed

The Fix:
OL resign Kelly, draft 2
WR resign MVS, sign Julio, draft 2
DL. Resign Lowery, draft 1
OLB Resign Merciless draft 1
ILB. Draft 1
CB. Resign Sullivan Draft 1
S. Draft 1

A bunch of signings will come after June 1 and after the dust settles in FA. The Packers have been pretty good at picking through the scraps over the years in FA. It’s kind of getting back to how they did business in the past.

Gutey has a plan, trust it

Coldworld's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:24 am

It’s not the roster that worries me primarily, but how we have failed to capitalize on past ones and why. Unless that question can be answered, we are all missing the point.

Leatherhead's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:29 am

We're close. Very close. We should focus on improving where we can.

I play tennis, and both my boys played tennis growing up. If your kid loses in the quarters, or the semis, or the finals........that's not failure, IMO.

First year, we got crushed in the finals on the road.
Second year, we lost by one play at home in the finals.
Third year, we lost by one freak play at home in the semifinals.

I just don't really buy the argument that the best way to the Super Bowl involves changing everything at the top. I don't believe Murphy is some sinister figure destroying the organization through the Executive Board.

I DO think we have an excellent opportunity to really upgrade this team. We should taste the soup before we disparage the cook.

jannes bjornson's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:00 pm

I assume you are in USTA Senior's league.

Leatherhead's picture

March 22, 2022 at 03:32 pm

I'm a USTA member, and I've played in a lot of 4.0 leagues, but nowadays, nothing competitive. I just knock it around with people for fun. I haven't played a set in years.

jannes bjornson's picture

March 23, 2022 at 10:47 am

It is difficult to find partners and most of the crew has blown out knees, shoulders and wrists, but will give it a try this Spring and hope the rotator holds up.

Pizzadoc's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:05 pm

Is it 12? Or is it luck? It seemed to be 12 this year.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:45 am

I like most of what you said here, RR, but I see TE as a pretty big NEED. and I see a new starter to play alongside Campbell at ILB as close to a need. Luckily, this draft has a lot of WRs, ILBs, and TEs.
I also don't see slot CB as a need, because we will have Jaire playing there, I believe.

I wish I liked the DTs in this draft better, but we'll have to get very lucky to get a guy who makes a difference. You never know, sometimes a guy really blossoms once he's out of college. There are around eight DTs who MIGHT make a surprising jump.

jannes bjornson's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:05 pm

Have to snag one (DE/DT) in the top 50 picks.

PeteK's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:01 am

RR, Lowry is signed, but I think we need a high draft pick there. Revolving dr Kelly, draft pick or Runyon could backup better with less money. We do need a veteran WR.

jannes bjornson's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:07 pm

Runyan and Newman played OT in college against top opponents. If the wides are off the board and Kenyon Green is there , take him.

RCPackerFan's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:43 am

I'm always confident.

The biggest question marks with this team going into next year (as of right now), will be TE, WR, RT, DL and backup/rotation spots.

-TE they did resign Tonyan but may take him a bit before he comes back. They need to find some more options there. Once Tonyan went down the TE's really struggled.

-WR is clearly the biggest question on the roster after trading away the best WR in the league. I like Lazard, I think Cobb can still be a good player. Hopefully Rodgers takes a step. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded for someone and used a couple of draft picks on them. A couple of higher picks. If they keep their picks I would not be surprised if they drafted 2 WR's in the top 4 rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to find some sort of return specialist also.

-RT right now RT is likely Yosh? I think they will be planning to put Jenkins at RT, but he will be coming off a torn ACL. So i'm not sure where they will plan to put him when he would come back. Do they want him learning a new position coming off a torn ACL? I wouldn't be surprised if they used a higher pick on a RT.

-DL They have Clark who is great! But the players around him who can dominate. They need someone that can rush the QB and affect the running game. They got rid of Keke, which I'm still surprised by. They do have Lowry, and Slaton who I like. But they could use an upgrade. I would love it if they could get Jordan Davis.

-Backups - They could use more Edge players. Always need OL, CB's. Probably could use another ILB. Some of these players will need to be core special teams players too.

This team even without Adams is still very close. The one thing without Adams that it does is allows them to strengthen some other positions. Since the trade they have signed Tonyan and Douglas. Perhaps they will bring in a WR or 2. With the draft picks they got, maybe they use one of those to trade for WR, but if not, they have 2 extra high picks to use however they want to use it. While I loved Adams, the decision to move on from him could strengthen the whole team more next year then they would have without him.

There is still a lot of moves they will need to make, but I do believe things are looking good.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:48 am

One of the interesting things about this roster, RCPF, is that with the addition of a dynamic DT and ILB, this could be one of the NFL's best defenses. The ILB will be there at 29 (a bunch of them), but a dynamic 5T is a crapshoot this year.

PeteK's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:04 am

While a late pick ILB is good for ST. No love for Barnes, take a look at his stats.

jannes bjornson's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:12 pm

Wyatt is the D lineman to target.

Leatherhead's picture

March 22, 2022 at 03:52 pm

I agree that WR, DT, OL, and TE are the four areas where we should be looking. I might add an Edge, or Safety, but the beautiful thing is we get 5 picks in the Top 92. The Rams, have 0. This is a way to close the gap.

The TE I want is Jeremy Ruckert, and I'd take him at #59. I'd like to double dip and get Charlie Kolar on Day Three.

The WR I want is Alec Pierce. I really was impressed by WonDale Robinson in the biggest game of his career, but in the end, bigger and faster Pierce is more what I'd like. We can get him at #52.

The OL, I'd take at #22. Whoever I thought was the best OL on my board would get taken, and that'll probably be Linderbaum or Penning. Either one would be an instant starter at RT, and a good one.

The DL would be taken at #28. I like Leal the best, but Wyatt or Mathis or Hall would work for me.

Then, having taken care of four biggest needs/wants, I'd get Nick Cross, safety at #92. Then I'd go home, eat a steak, drink a beer, and smile like the butcher's dog.

MainePackFan's picture

March 22, 2022 at 08:45 am

Lol. It's kind of like watching a tennis match here at CHTV with all the back and forth banter about Rodgers/Gute/MLF etc.
Thank goodness we're all on the Packers side of the court at the end of the day :)

jannes bjornson's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:13 pm

All for fun, fun for all....

marpag1's picture

March 22, 2022 at 09:58 am

No one pieces together an endless chain of meaningless and disjointed trite cliches quite like Cory does. Seriously, what does any of this mumbo-jumbo even mean?

I guess I'm supposed to believe Green Bay has succeeded because they have "a coachable locker room filled with guys that can lean on each other." Cool. ARod is coachable? Teammates trust him? Which teammates? Does Lazard trust that ARod is going to throw him the ball when he's way-the-hell open with the playoffs on the line? Does ARod trust that Lazard is going to catch it when he chucks the ball to Adams and the three guys who are triple-covering him?

Is the Packers' roster somehow "more coachable" than, say, the Miami Dolphins? How does someone know this? Do Packers players "lean on each other" more, or maybe better, than the Cleveland Browns? And when we say "lean on each other," what does that even mean? How exactly do the Packers excel?

Or am I to "be confident because this team knows how to play like a team?" Do they 'play together as a team' better than the Niners or the Cardinals? Do the TItans not play as a team as much as the Packers do? What exactly are these exceedingly dubious assertions based upon?

Did Davante get traded because other players didn't think that he was very trustworthy? Did Gutey sign Rasul because he looked at Rasul and said, "Damn, now that's a guy I could lean on in the locker room?" Did Z get cut for not being a team player?

PeteK's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:16 am

I for one notice the teamwork during good and bad plays, and the bench chemistry. I view many other teams and see some embarrassing individual acts. Maybe you should try and write an article during the off season since you're so quick to HARSHLY criticize others.

TarynsEyes's picture

March 22, 2022 at 09:46 am

I'm confident that this team will achieve the usual place on the step-stool while the success ladder again is occupied by another team.

Coldworld's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:26 am

To say otherwise with no material upgrades would be illogical if we have our Packers glasses off. Yet I see almost no one asking why.

LambeauPlain's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:17 am

With Murphy's management of the team by committee, making himself the Chairman, creates dysfunction.

I wonder what happens when Gutey goes to MM and says "this is the time to move on with Rodgers. I am confident we can get multiple high picks and a few starting caliber players. Jordan will have his growing pains but we can surround him with enough talent to make him successful."

Murphy: "Well, I talked to Matt and he wants Rodgers back. I talked to Russ and he says he can work the cap enough to get him back. So we have decided to get it done. I want him back, Brian. Get it done."

Two weeks later: "Mark, I have reluctantly made my final offer to Adams as you directed me to do. I think it was too much. But it didn't matter. He has decided he will not play with the tag or the Packers now so he wants a trade. I can get him to the Raiders for two high picks, I think. And Davante wants to go there."

Murphy: "Well, offer him more than the Raiders and see it he will bite. Matt want him back."

Gutey to himself "good grief...what if Adams accepts it?"

March 22, 2022 at 10:30 am

There's likely a whole lotta truth in this post....right down to the "good grief!" part.

HarryHodag's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:06 am

Few facts does not equal the truth.

croatpackfan's picture

March 22, 2022 at 05:22 pm

"Few facts does not equal the truth."

No facts does even less than not equal the truth...

Coldworld's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:39 am

Murphy let Ball step in for TT, then let the roster become Swiss cheese before personally deciding on LaFleur and involving himself in the football decision making. If any have any doubts, despite the deliberately opaque structure he put in place, that Murphy is the architect I can only say I can’t see how.

Yes, this is Murphy’s mess and it is one. 150 million for a QB and subsequent cap he’ll on a team with perhaps the most non existent set of pass catchers in the league in March and no cap to speak of: praying for a draft solution in year one against the odds.

That’s ignoring the fact that his HC has made some of the most risible decisions that directly assisted our losses with apparently no concern. The solution is Rodgers … the same one that wasn’t a solution before.

The solution, ironically, is the one Murphy oversaw wasting the best years of his career. Yet Murphy is still here and overtly selling the future (well done Board).

HarryHodag's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:05 am

What mess are you referring to? Retaining an elite QB, keeping a playoff team nearly intact in spit of the salary cap? Having more than enough revenues to maintain a viable franchise in a city of 100,000 souls?

Friend, the Packers are hardly a mess. You want a mess? Try the Jets. Try the Bears. Try Miami. Try Dallas. Try the Giants. Try the Commanders.

Coldworld's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:27 am

The one in front of your face and the one addressed by many here there and everywhere on these blogs.

MainePackFan's picture

March 22, 2022 at 07:14 pm

I agree with you Harry, but, as I'm sure you're fully aware of, you will get no slack from the "we should have traded Rodgers crowd".

I have no idea if the Packers did the right thing, and neither does anyone else. Time will tell. That being said, I am onboard with their decisions. Just as I would be if they traded Rodgers.

Personally, I think this is a very good organization that has been, and will continue to be, competitive in the NFL. I suspect all the hand wringing over future cap hell will be a topic of conversation throughout the off season. Hopefully those conversations move away from the financial side and focus on the game side soon.

I can't wait until everyone finally accepts that the only control we have as fans, is to be fans. I am "all in" on that ,as I have been since 1971. GPG

HarryHodag's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:01 am

Your villian (Murphy) has hired/or retained the talented management team you praise. Murphy has guided the franchise to grow and stay among the elite teams in the league. With his development of the Packers district new revenues are coming in. Unconsidered by the average fan, Murphy also has kept the sometimes meddling Board of Directors out of the action. As President/CEO he reports to them and I've heard zilch about the board wanting to change.
The 'dysfunction' you allege has produced 39 wins in three seasons. Miraculously they've retained the core of a playoff team. I agree the cost was steep, but please don't complain about Murphy and the management team. Would you prefer the management of the Jets or Bears?

Coldworld's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:28 am

I praised who? Perhaps Gute? Don’t read, don’t see …

NickPerry's picture

March 23, 2022 at 05:07 am

"If the balloon mortgage does not get the Packers to the SB, Murphy has to go. He is a meddler in multiple sandboxes he should not be playing in."

Hell yes! Just HELL YES!!!

Favreisgod's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:24 am

I think people underestimate the management. We could see them make a play for a guy like DK Metcalf. I don't understand cap numbers but I think his cap number would be cheap this year. Beyond that, I think we could franchise him next year (maybe not) or use his 5th year option. Someone here knows better than I do so maybe I'm totally wrong. That said, if he would be happy in GB and not be a problem child my question to people is would it be worth giving up both our 1st round picks to land him? He's proven, cheap (this year) and 24 years old.

There are also some older players that we could possibly sign. If you could combine Metcalf with a couple former solids I think we'd have a better receiving corps than we've had in the past couple years.

These are just random thoughts but I'm not willing to throw in the towel. I trust that Gute has some sort of a plan up his sleeve and I think MLF has done a nice job as coach.

We'll find out in the weeks and months to come

LambeauPlain's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:34 am

Hard pass on Metcalf.

He would be a one year rental (last year of his rookie deal)...for two first round picks? Then for 2023 he would want Davante Adams money.

He does not have a 5th year option. Metcalf was a second round selection.

Favreisgod's picture

March 22, 2022 at 12:39 pm

Ok....so maybe we'd have to find out if he'd do an extension before the trade if that's possible. If it were, we were willing to shell out huge money for DA and he was 29. Metcalf is 24 and I think Rodgers would make him look better than Wilson ever did.

I'm just trying to come up with possible scenarios where losing DA wouldn't be as bad as it looks right now. I can think of other guys out there that were former solids that, when coupled with Metcalf, would make for a formidable WR group. It would be nice to have 4 threats on the field

March 22, 2022 at 10:37 am

Metcalf's cap number is a shade under $4M this year in trade. They could manage that with a cut, extension, or restructure on the roster (the big one being Jaire, yet).

Love what Metcalf can do on the field...he's durable and a beast, and could be a centerpiece for the passing game. He's never truly had the spotlight to himself in Seattle. But he's also a pouter and a bit of a headcase. I don't know what it would take to pry him away, but the Packers showed they were willing to give big money to DA. If they dealt for Metcalf, they'd need to be ready to pony up for him, too, but could keep most of that off the 2022 cap.

PeteK's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:30 am

I believe we still have about 9 mill even after 11 mill for draft etc. He does present an interesting case. However, I don't like his visible pouting when not targeted. Go and block and draw defenders away instead. Which reminds me that we don't see that with this Packer team even though there certainly was some neglected targets. Might this be the team work mentioned by someone?

MainePackFan's picture

March 22, 2022 at 07:48 pm

You nailed it. Not to mention if the Packers wanted him they could have had him at the draft. There was something they didn't like then and I suspect it's still the case. Talent isn't everything.

LambeauPlain's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:51 am

Z is visiting the Queensland today. No surprise.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

March 22, 2022 at 10:53 am

Heck, I wouldn't give up ONE of our first-round picks for Metcalf, especially since there are guys like Watson who can do what Metcalf does, who will probably be available at 29. I'd
give up a second-rounder though.

splitpea1's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:12 am

We're always confident in this team--until the playoffs arrive. Gute, particularly last year, has done a pretty darn good job of finding the players that should be able to get us over the hump in the postseason. Now that we have a qualified special teams coach and have resigned key defensive players, the MLF/Rodgers combination is the only thing that should be in the spotlight. MLF can win 13 games a season for the rest of his career, but if we never even get a sniff at the Super Bowl, then it doesn't really mean much.

jannes bjornson's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:25 pm

He has to bring it Home, or end up in the land of Marty Schottenheimer.

Alberta_Packer's picture

March 22, 2022 at 05:57 pm

First, I am confident in this team - just minus a few little factors. A "not ready for prime time" QB - maybe the (non) Special Teams - OK, no top receiver(s) - "I got to be better" MLF and I would be remiss if I left out The Grand Imperial Exultant Ruler (Mark Murphy).

After further thought... I will have to re-calculate my confidence interval.

Swisch's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:08 pm

The major fault line on the Packers is Aaron Rodgers, and this is where the team falls apart again and again with such sudden and earthshaking shocks of disappointment.
Gute and LaFleur seem to do a lot of good things in their roles, but their weakness in pandering to arrogant Rodgers means all of it goes for naught.
Before this past season, Rodgers held the Packers hostage over agonizing months of uncertainty for selfish and frivolous reasons; then, he finally did come back only to trash the front office -- apparently Gute most of all -- with little to nothing in the way of compelling evidence.
This offseason, Rodgers once again held the Packers hostage in much the same way, with all who care about the team twisting in the wind about whether he would favor us with a return.
In between, Rodgers has apparently appointed himself as both general manager and head coach, effectively overruling both Gute and LaFleur at will in decisions about who is on the team, and when they play, and how they are utilized on the field.
At the same time, Rodgers has been terrible in his own job of quarterback when it really matters, in the biggest moments of the playoffs.
***
It's embarrassing for an entire franchise to grovel before one single player who talks so big off but comes up so very small.
While Rodgers is continually thinking about himself and talking about himself and complaining about perceived slights to himself, the integrity of the Packers is being undermined so that it falls apart under pressure, and will eventually crumble into ruins.
Gute and LaFleur have done an amazing job of turning around the Packers -- which by the way, includes reviving the formerly sinking career of Rodgers, who typically doesn't show an ounce of appreciation.
However, it is due to them that the weakest link of the Packers is at our most important position; they haven't seemed to learn the lesson that character is what elevates a talented team to the top.
It's a tragedy that all of their good work with the Packers ultimately fails because they sell out their dignity and build the future of the team around a jerk.
Sadder still is that we as fans not only have to suffer through the continual heartbreaks in the playoffs, but the pathetic self-absorption of a superficial egotist incessantly seeking himself.

cinpackback's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:12 pm

But how do you REALLY feel????
Lol, I'm with ya...

Swisch's picture

March 22, 2022 at 05:21 pm

Not so subtle, huh?
***
Where Cory and I agree is that winning in football takes more than talent.
Cory seems to say that extra ingredient is a strong sense of team solidarity -- although he doesn't appear to give reasons for us to believe that the Packers have this quality.
Sure, we beat the Lions and Vikings and Bears most of the time, and compile stellar records in the regular season, but why do the Packers consistently let us down in the playoffs?
It's as if the talent has been there already, and something else is missing.
I think the Packers are without a strong sense of team solidarity because of Aaron Rodgers as the fatal flaw.
***
My hunch is that Rodgers is not only self-absorbed, but domineering.
Woe to the teammate or coach who speaks out in disagreement with our celebrated quarterback.
Rodgers has the power to freeze out those who don't bend to his will, and that icy grip has been given to him by Gute and LaFleur in a sad act of submission to him.
It's highly unlikely the Packers can get very far in the playoffs with Rodgers having usurped control of the franchise.
***
It's some of the hubris of the Titanic.
Gute built this impressive ship to a high standard, and LaFleur has been the captain; but they've handed over the helm to a conceited passenger who recklessly steers amidst a sea of icebergs, heedless of his limitations.
No matter how close the Packers may get to a roster that appears indestructible, it's almost inevitable that there will be another shipwreck upcoming.
It's a sinking feeling I get every time arrogant Rodgers is allowed to get his own way.

Oppy's picture

March 22, 2022 at 11:51 am

This team had enough talent in 2021 to win a super bowl, despite all the obstacles and injuries.

The failures in the playoffs don't mean the team isn't capable of winning it all with the current talent level. The issue resides squarely between Rodgers' ears.

I will continue to contend, until Rodgers gets over his own hero complex, until he learns that he -must- find ways to trust everyone on the field (which is an extension of trusting his coach), the Packers will continue to find themselves struggling in and losing big games in big moments.

This isn't team problem, it's an ego problem that affects the team when the chips are down.

wildbill's picture

March 22, 2022 at 12:22 pm

Oops, forgot to put “Hammer Rodgers Day” on my calendar, my bad. It’s a QB league and we retained one of the best. Brees-1 SB win, Wilson-1 SB win, Rivers-0 SB wins, Marino-0SB wins. Throw Rodgers in with those losers I guess.

Oppy's picture

March 22, 2022 at 01:57 pm

When you put it like that, it's almost like the most important thing isn't having a top tier QB. Maybe it's having a balanced and deep team.

croatpackfan's picture

March 22, 2022 at 05:37 pm

Foles-1 SB win, Flacco-1 SB win, Staford- 1 SB win too, but Big Ben 2 SB wins, Mannings-2 SB wins each, GOAT Brady more than 4 SB wins.

So, you want to say Foles, Flacco, Staford are also one of the bests?

March 22, 2022 at 07:11 pm

I Have Confidence in Arron Rodgers. And as long as he is a Green Bay Packer. It’s Happy Days are here again. To err is human; to forgive divine. While most here, are harboring negative feelings. The FO wants him to play. And that is the key to this team’s success. Obviously, I’m getting excited. Rodgers still gives us the biggest chance to stay on top. And why supporters just can’t see that. Only shows: that when money is the concern, you certainly find out who your friends are. So suck it up butter cups. The defense didn’t lose any priorities. The loss of turner will be replaced. And Adams could have got hurt. So even if you thought the writing was on the wall for certain departures. This team is smelling like a bed of roses on a sunshiny day. Forget the pricks. The long and short of it? We now have the means to win a super-bowl! This roster will only get better.

Oppy's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:01 pm

"And Adams could have got hurt."

Ummm... So could Aaron Rodgers. The difference is, if Rodgers gets hurt and doesn't play another snap of football, Packers are still on the hook for $150 Millon.

Happy days are here again!

Starrbrite's picture

March 22, 2022 at 09:10 pm

I like Swisch—intelligent guy, but I’m with Stockholder on ARod.

arthurl's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:29 pm

I do agree with the post for the most part. Sure the team has fizzled in the crunch, but the building blocks are there. Their record proves they have the talent. To get to the SB everything has to be clicking and they haven’t been able to get over the hump. I suspect they will challenge again this coming season. People, think about it and all you need to do is take a look at the crappie teams in the NFCN. Most of those teams and their fans would be grateful to have a winning record.

Lot of opportunity to continue building this team with the draft picks.

Pantz_Burp's picture

March 22, 2022 at 02:54 pm

Just an interesting update: Z Smith signs with the Vikings...

After a tumultuous free agency period, Za'Darius Smith is back in the NFC North.

The Minnesota Vikings and the edge rusher agreed to terms on a three-year contract with a base value of $42 million, worth up to $47 million in incentives, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero reported Tuesday, per sources informed of the deal. The Vikings later officially announced the move.

Starrbrite's picture

March 22, 2022 at 04:23 pm

Let’s trade for Brandin Cooks—he’s 28 yoa- speedier than Davante, and has good hands. He’s out up very good numbers with some poor QB’s.