Lots on the mind, so I'll just do a data dump:
- The Packers are in great hands at the quarterback position for years to come. That said, Mike McCarthy has GOT to figure out the puzzle that is Aaron Rodgers' cold starts. Yet again Rodgers was sailing passes and missing guys throughout the first quarter.
- Yes, the officiating was bad. That's not why the Packers lost.
- No one can say for certain that Pat Lee would have made a difference last night or, indeed, down the stretch. But the kid is better than Jarrett Bush, that much I know. Bush absolutely killed the Packers last night. Wisnehunt did a masterful job of designing stacks and route combos that left him in bad position after bad position, that position usually being well behind the intended receiver.
- Nick Collins reportedly wants to be the top-paid safety in the league. The Packers now have plenty of tape to put on to counter Collins and his agent.
- I started a mini-controversy last night by merely suggesting that it might be time for the Packers to start phasing out Donald Driver. (Mike Freeman of CBS Sports declared that I was utterly insane, which led to a very nice back and forth. He still thinks I'm insane...) I don't make this suggestion likely. I want to go back and watch the last 5 or 6 games, but it seems to me the guy faded badly after starting the season white-hot. That could be a sign that Driver is wearing down - or it could be a fluke. But it bears watching. And to be clear - I don't mean that the Packers should cut the guy. Good lord no. Just that it might be time for a little less playing time for Double D.
- How about the job T.J. Lang did? I thought for sure, when Clifton went down, the Cardinals would run all sorts of blitzes at the young lineman. What little they did, he picked up perfectly and he more than held his own on one-on-ones. I tell you this - McCarthy's biggest mistake this year was handing the starting right tackle job to Alan Barbre and not even giving Lang a shot to compete for the spot in training camp.
I'll have more as the day goes on. Just getting started...
- Like Like
- 0 points